Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truth or pat on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow View Post
    I`ve never gotten a bunch of response over here, and that`s ok.
    It is interesting that we have so many lurkers here that visit regularly, but post rarely.
    With the recent influx of new members, maybe you will get more response.

Charles

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well some of what I see is some great detailers that are lousy photographers and vise versa. I do wonder what goes through someone`s head when they post not so great pics either showing poor photography or poor detail work. I`m refering to ones where they are showing off their work and not where they are asking for help and are posting pics of the problem.

In these cases it is probably just a matter of people just being nice when they say nice work or great job. I might have been guilty of that once or twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    In these cases it is probably just a matter of people just being nice when they say nice work or great job. I might have been guilty of that once or twice.
    Nice post.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Well some of what I see is some great detailers that are lousy photographers and vise versa. I do wonder what goes through someone`s head when they post not so great pics either showing poor photography or poor detail work. I`m refering to ones where they are showing off their work and not where they are asking for help and are posting pics of the problem.

I suck at photography. I am learning to capture defects in paint a little better now though. I think I`m a pretty decent detailer and I`ve been pretty fortunate to work on some cool cars like the slew that I posted tonight in the detail showcase.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

this was a very nice post. hopefully alot of members will read it, learn how to critcize constructfully in a polite way and members won`t take "cc" the wrong way. btw if i would have started this post i definitly would`nt have......lol

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    On most of the detail forums, people want an ego boost and that`s about all. After a while it is easy to pick out the ego-centric people compared to the hard core detailer striving for the best results. But when it all comes down to it all of the typing online doesn`t mean squat ... it`s really the person footing the bill of the detail - it matters more that they are happy vs. some anonymous person on a web forum. Yes it does get annoying to see the good job threads but it`s inevitable.

This summer I have been lacking with posting pictures of my details. I have learned everything I know about detailing on detailing forums, and most of it was from this site, especially at the beginning. Since I know what a resource this site is, I like to do reviews and answer questions on my experience to help out others. The same is true with posting my details, I want it to be helpful to others and I don`t get upset if no one says good job. I`d rather have 1 person learn something from my post than getting 10 `atta boys`. But that is just me ... I have nothing to gain whether it is financially, beneficially, or ego wise ...
    Budman I think you`ve hit this one right on the nose ... when I was Professionally detailing I never even thought of taking a picture of a clients car ... they were paying me to detail their vehicle, not take pictures and their response was the only gratification that was needed. In the early years a referral was the greatest reward I could get. Remember pictures are 2 dimensional as are TV adds and don`t tell the whole story. Some people are great with photos and some are not, some came use photoshop to make pictures better or completely change what is really there. A newbee looking for a pat on the back is ok if they are also looking to improve their methods, but overly posting or a pro posting every detail is a bit tacky or is on a ego trip. Now if you run into some rare or super cool cars ..then i really don`t care what was done to it but I`d like to see a picture. Someone also trying a new combo and wanting to get some feedback is ok too, but again it`s 2 dimensional and I`d rather know what the poster thinks of the look rather than seeing a bunch of atta boys ... for me people like rabbi who go and explain what they do and never post a picture is more valuable as it will take my imagination to picture it and if I ever run into him and see his cars, I feel like I`d be in for a real treat, some what like the reaction cwcad had when he saw CharlesW`s cars in person
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents.. I started lurking over a year ago, and then posting my questions. I started on this forum from seeing direct results of YOUR work in the photos. I knew nothing about detailing a car and must admit I washed my car with Dawn!! Needless to say... I`ve come a long way!!! I needed those photos!!! Still do... to continue to learn techniques, problem identification, and results... So... as for me... keep them coming! and the comments too! That is how I learn! Thanks to all who contribute! I think I can wash a car now!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I post pictures and writes ups of my work I almost always put this little phrase "Any comments would be appreciated". I posted Pictures of my F-150 on a truck forum that I visit often and put in that exact phrase and someone let me know that I didn`t dress the wheel wells. I later looked at the picture and realized that I in fact did not dress them. I failed to dress the wells due to lack of time as I needed to be at a family fuction. I feel it was no big deal for the comment 1 because yes I did forget them and 2 I let it be known to everyone POST your comments.I mainly do this as a side gig for friends, family, co-workers so I want to always improve my work. If it takes a little comment on something that I may have forgotten then so be it, or if the reply asks questions to help clarify that readers understanding on what I did so he could further help me with his next comment then great I am all for it.
    Just my .02

Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information