Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    While I wholeheartedly agree about the facts of the matter, anyone think this sounds like a suicidal advertising plan for GM? Their campaign basically sounds like the same plea every guy gives his girlfriend after he cheats on her. "I know what I did was wrong, but I`ve learned from it. I`ll be good from now on...I promise."

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm29_20030529.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    GM was my main reason for not buying an American car in the last 15 years. They`re evil, I used to sell to em, I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it`s certianly a "different" approach. They are just stating the obvious though. I don`t think it will lure many back.

A good friend of mine get`s a new Caddy every 2 years on a lease. He has trouble with everyone of them. His Seville STS went through 3 trannys in the 2 year lease period. He now has a new DeVille, it`s already been in the shop for various things with less than 10K miles. So, sounds like GM has a long way to go. At least they are trying.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. I work in the sales (F&I) dept at a Chevrolet dealership. These people are smoking crack.

Guess how many people came in and asked for the 24-hour test drive last month.

Now, shut your eyes. What do you see?

We had to call friends and relatives, and use the cars as service loaners, to hit our quota.

It`s not too hard to sell cars. Ask Nissan how they turned it around: they used a high quality, exciting product. If you don`t have that, then you have to resort to gimmicks, and "oblique advertising", I guess.

Oh, well. I can`t complain, I picked this. At least I have a shiny car, thanks to youse guys here.

Mosca

Post Thanks / Like
    you know, the thing is-- they don`t have to be Toyota or Honda. I see Hondas getting up into the 400k mile level (and they`re only 15 years old). I don`t think that`s necessary, but a reasonable level of quality and reliability is. I think GM needs to truly re-evaluate their priorities. I would much prefer if GM only sold 3 kinds of cars, but each one lasted 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read an article a few months back where GM admitted that Toyota and Honda made better cars and that GM could not compete with them. And soem GM big wig said when he asked former GM buyers why they did not buy GM anymore their responses where, "Make cars like you did in the 50`s and I will buy American again."

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2001civicex

I read an article a few months back where GM admitted that Toyota and Honda made better cars and that GM could not compete with them. And soem GM big wig said when he asked former GM buyers why they did not buy GM anymore their responses where, "Make cars like you did in the 50`s and I will buy American again."

The last GM product I owned was my `88 Caprice and I had a boatload of problems with that car starting with the alternator croaking after 2 months and again later.

But truth of the matter is that the cars my family has had the most problems with are Chryslers. Those things spent more time in the shop than on the road and it was usually for some funky electrical problem or Quality Control issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to make it clear that I didn`t start the thread to bash GM. Those who know me, know my feelings about them..but rather- I just thought it was a strange PR move. I can`t remember the last time a company admitted it`s products were bad.

Even with the New Coke disaster, Coca Cola just said, "This just proves how much people love the original formula!"

Maybe GM can introduce Chevrolet Classic now

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad was one of those Chevette owners from the 80`s, and because of that horrifying experience, I`ll never buy GM again. Even though GM is making some nice cars nowadays, I think that car has traumatized me forever. IMO, GM is going to have to wait until guys in my generation die off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the PR thing was approved because anyone who has a brain at GM was either fired or ran away a long time ago. Really, it`s that bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had an American car that didn`t have a boatload of problems. They make junk and then treat you like trash when you try to deal with either the dealer or the factory reps trying to resolve issues. I`ve gone to Lexus and what a difference! The car simply doesn`t break and the dealership treats me like I`m the only customer they have. It has really been an eye opening experience and I wouldn`t go back to American made cars (Ford, Jeep, GM, Chrysler) for any reason. Those *ssholes have gotten my last penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that American cars markers do need to step it up a notch in the mechanics, but I have a friends that have nothing but problems with the honda`s.

Tranny problems up the butt. My other friend has a benz and has had to go to the dealer 4x due to different electrical problems.

I would much rather buy american and support out econmy, but look were alot of the cars are being made.

some non-american cars are built more in america then american cars.

NYD

Post Thanks / Like
    1993 Ford Mustang my cousin owned ran into small, but annoying problems. The car was sold a few years ago (between 2000 and now?) at well below market price due to the unreliability of the car. The alignment was also problematic, could never figure out what it was that was causing the car to stutter a bit when making a right turn.

The car was pampered through out its life (7+ years.) It was sold with 27K on it or so, lightly driven, no hard racing done, just cruising the streets. there were a set of chromed rims on it for its life and the last year before it was sold the original stock rims were put back on.

Everyone else in the family had imports. Toyota`s, Honda`s, MB`s, and BMW`s fill the driveway at get togethers.

1991 Corolla sedan - 2 minor accidents, 55K, partially repainted, running excellent.

1992 Corolla sedan - 3 minor accident, 210K, died recently

1990 Mazda MX6 - 210K+, needs a rebuit tranny, but at $800 for get it, donated to charity

1999 Corolla sedan - no accidents, 110K and still going.

1992 Camry sedan - 110K+, still going, paints in great shape too considering age.

I think I should get a used Corolla, its a decent get where you want car, and a used one is fairly cheap.....

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it ironic that the imports are the only ones offering front engine rear drive cars these days.

I think that GM should focus on building better vehicles instead of trying to score sympathy points. They are lagging behind when it comes to quality. For example, look at the inside of a Cavalier and compare it to a Civic. Feel the plastics and look at the difference in quality. There shouldn`t be a major difference but there is.

They should offer a lesser equipped version of the Trailblazer for utility and police use, the Camaro should be redesigned and brought back with the new 5.3 and 6.0 engines instead of getting the axe. Cadillac`s cars should all be rear wheel drive exception being the eldorado.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    re:NY Detailer

I agree all car brands will have problems however, I would be willing to bet when your friend with the Mercedes went in with problems he wasn`t treated with disdain by the people at the dealership. American cars are junk and their dealers are a sorry bunch of losers that have had it good for a long time at our expense. Somebody has built a better mousetrap and look what happened. I don`t feel sorry for American automakers at all, they treated most of their customers like crap and now they are reaping what they sowed. It`s a global economy and we (the auto buying public) are benefitting from it. If the foreign cars were never alowed here because of high tarrifs or heavy import taxes can you imagine what we would still be driving. What a joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information