Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m loading up on some products right now and I came across some branded paint cleaners to prep the surface of the paint for the LSP. In the past I have been using 91% IPA in a 50:50 ratio for this. Do these semi-costly paint cleaners do anything differently and/or better than IPA can do, or are they just a waste of money?

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint "cleaners", literally clean and polish your paint. IPA helps to remove oils and residue left behind from polishes, waxes, etc.

IPA is more for when you`re polishing and need something quick to remove any filling action. Whereas a paint cleaner is like clay, but for below the surface. Helps to decontaminate the paint.

Two different products for two different jobs. Whether you use a cleaner or IPA is up to you. I personally don`t use IPA much, but I do find a paint cleaner to be useful for oxidation and staining.

Post Thanks / Like
    So just to make sure I understand. If I intend on claying, then polishing the car with something like Menz SIP/106FA prior to putting on the LSP, the paint cleaner is overkill and the IPA is good enough to take out any fillers/residue from my polish such that my sealant will have the best bond possible?

However, if after 3 months go by and I notice my sealant is no longer doing it`s job, this would be a good time to use a paint cleaner prior to re-sealing the car without needing to polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m kind of confused. i take your OP as IPA vs. a product like prepsol or the like. you are not asking about a "polishing/waxing" type produce, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Sonax Premium Class Paint Cleaner" is what I specifically had in mind, I`m not familiar with prepsol but it sounds like a similar product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonax makes some awesome stuff man.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    IPA = ?

I used Ps21 paint cleaner after i polished my truck, i think just applying the cleaner brightend up the paint before th wax went on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a_guerrajr
    IPA = ?
    IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)

Post Thanks / Like
    i want to use the IPA after polishing just to see if most if not all the swirls are gone but i do have P21S cleansing lotion that significantly brightens up the paint before sealing. maybe i`ll use both steps this spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elk42
    i want to use the IPA after polishing just to see if most if not all the swirls are gone but i do have P21S cleansing lotion that significantly brightens up the paint before sealing. maybe i`ll use both steps this spring.

So what you said is pretty much the jist of my question. If I just polished my paint to a mirror finish with something like Menzerna 106FA then did an IPA wipe down and am satisfied with my work. Does it buy me anything to then use Sonax Paint Cleaner or Prepsol or P21S Cleansing lotion prior to putting down a wax or sealant?

I just want to make sure that I`m not wasting a $25 product when IPA will give me similar, if not identical, results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonax "Paint Cleaner".... not the best name IMO, but that`s probably just me.

PrepSol and the likes are more effective than IPA, a lot of times IPA will take more than one pass to completely remove residue.

Not to say that IPA is ineffective, it`s just not AS effective as PrepSol. It`s nice to have some around, but unnecessary in most cases.

I normally use a bit of paint safe APC and that seems to work better than IPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Menzerna Top Inspection every day in my shop, it very gently cleans any residual oils left behind by the polishing compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done multiple IPA wipedowns and *still* cleaned off a LOT of oils by subsequently using TOL`s PrepWash and/or PrepSol-type solvents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots claims it has a citrus based solvent. Alcohol too? Anyone used this?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    Griots claims...

Just saw that in their latest catalog. Probably works OK but I`m not eager to buy it instead of the PrepWash :nixweiss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information