Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what happens if you *accidentally* let the claybar slip outta your hands while claying and it hits the ground??? do you have to throw it away and start with a new bar, or can you pick the debris out with something??

(please note this happened to some guy I know.......yeah......thats it.......some guy I know........ I would never be that clumbsy....... )

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can cut out the contaminated part do so, otherwise new clay bar. I usually cut the bar in pieces and if this happens I just throw it away.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think it`s best to just throw that clay away and start over after it hits the ground. It`s impossible to try to pick out every microscopic piece of dirt or debris that could cause major scratching problems. Who knows, that one grain of sand or tiny pebble you may miss could ruin the whole process. Better to be safe than sorry...

Another trick you may try in the future is to lay an old towel or two on the ground where you`re working in case these things happen. At least ot might be possible to save the clay than throw it away.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Throw it out (tell your friend my friend says it should only have to happen once to learn that lesson.)

Post Thanks / Like

Personal LSP Testing: Round Deux

I posted this up last year and had fun tracking the progress of the applied products. While the weather is nice and the season is young I figured I would try it again, using just a few more products this time and strategically applying particular products next to one another.

After stripping and claying the hood, I taped off sections of the hood and applied the respective products. On the left side I applied OS and OCW next to each other, the OS on top and OCW on bottom. Just to give an idea of what these products look like stand-alone. The two products on the upper middle are the AIO`s. That way they will both be equally affected by engine heat and other conditions with KAIO on the left and Poli-Seal on the right. The two lower middle sections are 476s and 915 respectively. This was done to compare the Collinite Paste waxes to one another. On the right side are Wolfgang`s DGPS 3.0 on top and Collinite 845 on the lower part. This maintains consistency with sealants [OS and WDGPS on the top portions] and yet, compares 845 [pseudo sealanty wax] to WDGPS to one another.

I applied the products on Friday 4/28. Today [5/2] I washed the vehicle for the first time with Meguiars Shampoo Plus and I tried to get a good cross section of what the results were.

In these following shots I am shooting water at the driver?s side of the vehicle, which has WDGPS on the upper right, 845 below it, 915 to the left of that, and Poli-Seal above that [then WDGPS on the right of it to complete the circle]. The WDGPS is extremely slick. Since the last time I have used it, I have been able to get better results through thinner application and longer waiting to remove time. Water sheets cleanly off of this sealant. The 845 still performs, IMO, like a very slick wax. Water beads up but just as soon as the beads get big, they quickly sheet off of the paint. 915 beads up incredibly. I am interested in seeing the durability of this wax as I love how it looks on the paint. The Poli-Seal was sheeting ever so slowly as you can see in the picture. I am not sure I will get much of any durability out of this, but I am still curious.

This middle section shows Poli-Seal on the upper right, 915 below that, 476 to the left of that and KAIO above it [and back to Poli-Seal on the right to complete the circle]. The 476 looks just like the 915 on the paint and beads very similarly. The KAIO also shares it?s characteristics with Poli-Seal. Time will tell when these similar products begin to separate themselves from each other.

This section shows KAIO on the upper right, 476 below it, OCW to the left of it and OS above it [with KAIO to the right of it again]. OCW is very very slick and easy to use, but I find the beads to not be as tight as the paste waxes [at this point in the test]. OS sheets great and I hope it shows off some good durability.

Next time I will park on a different angle to give the products a fair chance to show their sheeting/beading. Here are a few random pictures of the Collinite waxes beading.

I?ll try to keep this updated consistently. It?s not nearly as technical as other tests, but I find it fun to track. If you have any questions or suggestions I would be happy to answer them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the results. Hard to follow exactly what products are where. Perhaps numbered zones would help the visual. Also, any descriptions of the comparison of the shine/depth of the products? I have done side by side tests with 2 products, but never that many at once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgcmc View Post
    Looking forward to the results. Hard to follow exactly what products are where. Perhaps numbered zones would help the visual. Also, any descriptions of the comparison of the shine/depth of the products? I have done side by side tests with 2 products, but never that many at once.
    I will make it easier to see which is which when I update it, and when there is more light I will compare the actual affect of the product on the paint. I have found some to darken the paint more than others, fill, etc, so when I update it I will do my best to capture more than just beading characteristics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Luke - I was trying to figure out how you were going to test all those at once, then I saw that massive hood. Does this sit outside 24/7?
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the test Luke. It is very interesting to see the results of all these products side by side. I am looking forward to your updates.:clap:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Luke - I was trying to figure out how you were going to test all those at once, then I saw that massive hood. Does this sit outside 24/7?
    In the garage from 11pm to 7am and outside while I am at work the rest of the day. I guess it would be good to log the weather conditions if it is exceptionally rainy, etc. I`m sure I`ll spit up the roof as well since engine heat should have no impact on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Thanks for the test Luke. It is very interesting to see the results of all these products side by side. I am looking forward to your updates.:clap:
    No problem Barry. I`ll try to stay on top of things this time and maybe include a video too. Also, this is just 1 coat on each section. I know some users get much better results from 2 coats, so this is by no means indicative of the products true capabilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to seeing the results. I suspect you could not tell part by looks.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously love this test and your pictures. Great job? Do you have Wet Diamond? I am interested on how it would compare against the others? If you don`t have it, shoot me a PM, and I`ll send you a bottle to compare head-to-head against the winner.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    I seriously love this test and your pictures. Great job? Do you have Wet Diamond? I am interested on how it would compare against the others? If you don`t have it, shoot me a PM, and I`ll send you a bottle to compare head-to-head against the winner.

Todd
    I don`t have Wet Diamond, but I would love to be able to test it out!

I debated the value in doing these types [Wax/Sealant] of tests, especially with Coatings becoming increasingly more available and easier to use, however, I still love doing these tests :biggrin:

PM sent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for doing the test, much appreciated!

Last time I saw one of these, somebody took a horse trailer and divided it into 12 or so sections.

That test was for durability, and the metric for measuring whether a wax/sealant was "dead" was if it stopped beading water.

According to those tests, the KAIO with PolyCharger actually performed worse then KAIO by itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look forward to the results. Nice test

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information