Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Craftsman air compressor that has been lightly used over the last 6 or 7 years (since new). It has stopped working. If I turn it on I can hear the piston in side straining to move and it makes a "flopping" type noise (maybe it`s the valve?). It makes, maybe, one rotation in the 4 seconds it`s "running", then it then blows the circuit breaker and stops.

Question: Am I now shopping for a new compressor, or can I take it apart and fix it?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is probably a reed valve in the head that is stuck. Is it a small compressor? If it`s a cheapie, it`s probably not worth it to repair with the cost of the new cheapies. If it`s a large one, or one you like, you should be able to fix it, if you can find out what`s wrong (I`m only guessing). Sears is pretty good about having parts breakdowns on line, which makes it easy to order...although it may not be cheap and you`re probably on your own figuring out the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one that I`m constantly tinkering with to keep it running. It`s junk, IMO. I also have a Campbell-Hausfeld oil-type compressor which is what I use most often. It is much quieter and delivers a lot more air.

I don`t like the Craftsman oil-less air compressors based on my experience with them. Mine seem cheaply made and is not very durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    There is probably a reed valve in the head that is stuck. Is it a small compressor? If it`s a cheapie, it`s probably not worth it to repair with the cost of the new cheapies. If it`s a large one, or one you like, you should be able to fix it, if you can find out what`s wrong (I`m only guessing). Sears is pretty good about having parts breakdowns on line, which makes it easy to order...although it may not be cheap and you`re probably on your own figuring out the problem.

It was about $300.00 or so, if I remember correctly. I guess I`ll start to tear into it and see what I see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just dropped off my (under warranty) Sears dehumidifier this morning, and they seemed to have some standard repair prices for other stuff...you might want to look into that before you start tearing it apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a craftsman oil less compressor blow up on me last year. It broke a rod. Sears has rebuild kits online. It cost me about a $100 and is very easy to do yourself. But after I fixed it, I sold it and bought an oil lubricated compresor. They are much better in my opinion.

Thread Information