Thread: First Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey All,

I recently bought my First Garage which came with a detached house that I just had dormered.

It`s about 10x20 (Car is about 6x16). I would like to be able to detail in the garage with my PC, but was thinking it would be a little tight (but I`m sure I`ll end up detailing). :p

A couple of immediate things I`m going to do is the floor (probably paint) and add a garage door opener. Eventually I`d like to tear it down and build a 2 car garage, as my backyard will fit it. But that`s not going to happen for the next 2 or 3 years I`m guessing. So I`m on the fence on what to spend money on, and what not to. Things like a compressor, tools, etc...anything that is not "built" into the garage, I`m going to continue to aquire.

I have a few things to do this year:

Paint the house (interior)

Renovate the kitchen

Build a HT

Build a workshop

Get Married later this year

And tinker with this garage whenever I can

What would you do in my situation ?.....besides clean it out

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new garage!

I know those "house" thingies that often come with them can interfere with garaging but I have every confidence you`ll manage to keep that interference minimized.

For now, I`d suggest you get a notebook and a pen and just live with your garage a while. Whenever you have a thought about something you like, don`t like, need, want, must have, must avoid, etc jot it down. By the time you`re ready to start making serious modifications you`ll have a better idea of what`s right for you.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the interior of the garage needs painting you should combine it with the painting in the house. The paint will be less expensive if bought in larger quanties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the house is golden you will move within 7 years or less..

Paint the floor after proper prep. Avoid Bear Floor Paint, and follow the directions to the T.

Add lighting

Add eletrical near the doors and one in the middle of the wall. I just added 2 drops to my garage with their own fuse for under 36 bucks. All supplies.. 10 bucks more and I will have another one dropped.

Run cable to it and a 13`` TV.... Paint the walls bright IMO...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the tips all.

The list so far is to aim for some floor paint, garage door opener, sheetrock and paint. Already got a stereo and tv spec`d out for it. Will have to upgrade the power and pick up some more lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like a nice garage in the making! I`d suggest doing both the interiors of the garage and the house at the same time, followed by a garage door opener then the tools. Sounds like a fun project!
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.....Back from the bodyshop and ready to detail again :woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

.. Will have to upgrade the power and pick up some more lighting.

Yep, that`s what I`d prioritize. Lights, lights, and more lights

I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn`t worry much about painting the floor. It often doesn`t stick too well anyhow and it can be slippery when wet unless you put friction media (e.g., sand) in the paint. FWIW, I did fine at my old garage (was there nearly 20 years) without painting the floor.

Glad to hear you`re gonna be able to do your detailing inside. You`re gonna love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm....reading the other thread on "How do I prep and paint floor?" is starting to make me re-think the idea of painting the floor. :think: My floor is extremely greasy, oily, stained, etc. So I know if I tackle the paint, it`ll be a lot of work. We`ll see.

I`ve QEW`d in my neighboors garage, while they`ve gone down to Florida during the winter, but never really was able to break out all my toyz and go to town. Looking forward to it. I`m goin` try to keep this thread goin` with some pics when I get around to this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Hmmm....reading the other thread on "How do I prep and paint floor?" is starting to make me re-think the idea of painting the floor. :think: My floor is extremely greasy, oily, stained, etc. So I know if I tackle the paint, it`ll be a lot of work. We`ll see...

Yeah, I`d sure spend *my* time and effort elsewhere Get some really potent cleaner, maybe rent a pressure washer, and just give it one good cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could add internet connection like i did in my garage, although mine is attached, little easier when attached. Id run 2 pvc conduits in the ground from the basement to the garage. one for more power, and one for low voltage (phone, cable, internet, speakers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I think I`ll end up taking your advice and just cleaning it...and no, I won`t forget about the lights :p

bufferman71, That`s already on my mind. 1 for power, 1 for low voltage. I`ll be putting French drains in the other side of the backyard due to some moisture issues I`m having in the basement. So my backyard is going to look like an offroad track for radio controlled cars. Hmmm, maybe she`ll let me keep it that way for a little while.

Thread Information