Post Thanks / Like
    I want a garage lift.

Not that I really need one - I`m not going to do anything more than lift my cars to bring them up to eye level for cleaning the wheels and lower body (this bending down business cricks my back, and it seems that most of the cleaning I do nowdays involves the lower half of the vehicle!)

So, what sort of lift would be best? Two post? Four post? Scissors type, like BradB has?

And should they be a full support lift that takes the car up on its wheels, or a jack point lift?

I have two worries. First, that if I use a jackpoint lift once a month on each car, how would the car`s jack points hold out? Are cars really designed to be hoisted regularly on those points for hours at a time, and will there be any longterm strain on the chassis and body?

And secondly, all my cars are ultra heavy. The Mercs, Jaguar and SUV are not light vehicles. The last thing I want is a mechanical problem, such as it toppling over. There was a picture somewhere that showed an Aston Martin on a fallen lift. I`m aware that all lifts have posted limits, but the doubting engineer part of me wonders how really secure they are.

And if I choose a full support lift, I won`t be able to use it for taking the wheels off. I can do that with a floor jack anyhow so it`s not an issue.

OK - I`m thinking out loud here... it seems the full support lift would be better. That means I can get better storage too, with one car left permanently on it above the other.

Now, what brand? Anyone have a recommendation?

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken, I have ZERO practical experience.

I do know that the` Rotary Brand` is well established. Shipping something that large to you may prove formidable.

What brand do local shops prefer? That`s where I`d start...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary makes great lifts (the best in my opinion). There are others out there that will do everything that a Rotary will do and maybe up to a grand less. I don`t think anything will hold up as well long term as the Rotary and repair parts are easy to come by. I`ve used all types of lifts in my career, single post, dual post and four posters. The best choice depends upon your needs. Single center post lifts aren`t used much anymore because you end up with the hydraulic cylinder in the ground. The EPA doesn`t like that. 4 posters are quick and easy if you just want to drive on and lift. They are also probably the best if you are going to store a car in the air or when it comes to doing front end alignments. They give you a little more head room because they lift from the tire as opposed to the frame. 2 posters are a better choice if you have to do wheels off work and they do give you a little better under car access. There is NO problem lifting your car often assuming you are using the correct jacking points for the vehicle. All manufacterers design lift points into the frame/sub frame. You can get this type of informatin from many repair and all wheel alignment manuals. I`m putting a new Rotary 2 post lift in my new garage very shortly so I guess that tells you what my opinion really is.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Rotary it is. Now I`ll have to see whether it`s available in my country.

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    What GearHead_1 said about lifts in general :xyxthumbs

I had a different brand (the name of which escapes me right now ) 2-post back when I had my commercial garage and it sure was a handy thing. Give a little consideration to the vehicles that you`ll be putting up on it and the flatness of your floor and discuss this stuff with the lift vendor. I had to have some pads for the lift`s arms fabricated to accomodate certain vehicles and I couldn`t get my Mallett `vette up on it no matter what I tried.

And don`t worry, it won`t topple over if it`s installed properly and your floor is good. I`d deal with somebody who will come and install it, don`t have it shipped and trust yourself to do it. A vendor who will be providing (good) sevice will *want* to be the guy who installed it anyhow. It *seems* simple (they usually mount with just a few bolts into the floor) but the one I had took a serious piece of equipment to set it into place and having the vendor be responsible for everything was very reassuring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Good advice. Looks like I`ll plumb for the 4 post, so hopefully toppling won`t be as much an issue as a 2 poster.

Ken Silver

--------------

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a twin post ...9000 lb capacity..asymetric...and I really like it.

It`s from Team Lift in Cleburn Texas...cost about $1900 delivered.

I choose the twin because I prefer that style for doing work on the cars. If I was only going to store or do minor work I could see the 4 post being better.

I`d say, though, for a commercial shop this lift might be a bit under engineered. For my hobbyist use it`s awesome

Peter..in Denver

Thread Information