Post Thanks / Like
    What are you guys doing when it comes to washing cars inside your garages? I know this isn`t a concern for people in warm climates or in summer months. Do some of you have drains in your garages? I`m planning on building a separate garage in the near future and I`m wondering what you do with the water if yo don`t have a drain. It`s very unlikely that the city will let me install a drain. I plan on detailing 4-5 cars per week so I need to be able to vacate all this water somehow.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you live in a cold climate and you plan on detailing cars in your garage with no drain the only way to go really is a reduced water method like QEW. Basically you wash the car using a wash mitt/sponge/MF towel saturated with some QEW/water solution and then dry the panel immediately. Very little water ends up dripping on the floor. However, without flowing water it`s harder to do a good job on wheels & wheel wells or extremely dirty cars. If you can get the city to allow it, the drain is really the best way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    If you live in a cold climate and you plan on detailing cars in your garage with no drain the only way to go really is a reduced water method like QEW. Basically you wash the car using a wash mitt/sponge/MF towel saturated with some QEW/water solution and then dry the panel immediately. Very little water ends up dripping on the floor. However, without flowing water it`s harder to do a good job on wheels & wheel wells or extremely dirty cars. If you can get the city to allow it, the drain is really the best way to go.
    Unfortunately I`ll be doing complete details(engine, exterior, jambs, mats, etc) and I`ll need to use quite a bit of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask accumulator about his garage setup. He has a drain connected to an oil extractor and didn`t have a problem getting it permitted.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK . . . well then if you can`t get the drain here`s a better idea than QEW. Buy one of these to contain the water and to reclaim it. The only thing you would have to figure out if you bought this is where to get rid of the collected water. Maybe you could pump it down the drain after you`re done or out into your yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neo, that`s really a local/state thing. LightningSVT (also in MI) couldn`t get a drain in his garage, even with Accumlator`s advice. David, it sounds like you are doing pro work, will this be in your home garage? If so, you should be cognizant of local ordinances which may prohibit you from running a business like that from your residence.

The other way to water wash in your garage without a drain is to have a mat or boom system such as here: http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=64

Edit: Hmm....GMTA....or FSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Neo, that`s really a local/state thing. LightningSVT (also in MI) couldn`t get a drain in his garage, even with Accumlator`s advice. David, it sounds like you are doing pro work, will this be in your home garage? If so, you should be cognizant of local ordinances which may prohibit you from running a business like that from your residence...

Yeah, the local statutes are gonna decide what you can do. Some places simply prohibit them in residential zoning. But having a good builder (who has good relations with the inspectors and, most importantly is willing to work to get you what you want) and/or an attorney (if you really want to push it) should help. It`s not all that different from a sanitary sewer line once the oil separator is in there but the local inspectors might need convincing. We had no problems when we did ours, just did it to commercial specs the way an oil-change place/dealership would do it. Note that even where it`s prohibited as a rule, you could very well get a variance for it once the powers that be understand how the separator works- there`s no *logical* reason to prohibit it. Worth the hassle IMO.

Many areas permit a "brown water" drain (sorta like what you have for your rain gutters) in residential garages, and this is a *lot* better for the environment than that would be.

Design-wise, I like a trench style drain with removable grates and a clean-out box right before the oil separator. The longer the drain is the better, and I put it in the middle of the shop. Note that it`ll catch the wheels of a creeper so don`t put it where you`ll be rolling over it all the time. Smaller round drains (I have two of those too, in areas where something might leak/overflow) are a lot harder to clean out and more prone to clogging from the sort of stuff that gets rinsed out of undercarriages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Neo, that`s really a local/state thing. LightningSVT (also in MI) couldn`t get a drain in his garage, even with Accumlator`s advice. David, it sounds like you are doing pro work, will this be in your home garage? If so, you should be cognizant of local ordinances which may prohibit you from running a business like that from your residence.

Edit: Hmm....GMTA....or FSD
    I`m hoping that what they don`t know won`t hurt em! :nervous: :nervous2: :buffing: :hide: :think2

Plus has anyone ever tried one of these Mobil Wash Mats? Do they work and do they last with acids being spilled on it and cars continuously driving over them??

Thread Information