Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

have u got a heated garage?? - if not stick a portable mini electric heater - they come with a built in fan and direct it carefully to the surface of the car - they have less power and cost Ă‚£20 but they are damm effective.</blockquote>

I live in an apartment with underground parking... it`snot heated and to heat it myself would be impossilbe

Post Thanks / Like

Black , trash GT-R

even if u pay me double i will not do another one!
    i know the infiniti paint is soft but easy to finish nice.
    this paint on nissan gt-r is a pain! a big one....so soft and weird.

i did one step only SIP on meguiar`s polish pad and Flex DA , but with long run and slow movement ... took me forever plus when i try to use any final polish on a test spot i mess up the finish left behind by SIP ?!...i FAIL.
    took me 2 hours and 3-5 combinations to fix the test spot where i try the 2nd step ( finish step)
    i try : 205 , 3m ultrafina , prc , finish pad , polish pad , 3m blue pad , g110 , flex da lower speed , hi-speed , NOTHING! SIP was only thing that work at least to get it close to better finish.
    anyway the car is better than before but still need some work.

CONDITION BEFORE: TRASH

AFTER SIP:

FEW before after:

the 3 deep scratches before /after ...gone

OUTSIDE shots:

ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CosminTX View Post
    even if u pay me double i will not do another one!
    i know the infiniti paint is soft but easy to finish nice.
    this paint on nissan gt-r is a pain! a big one....so soft and weird.
    Tell me about the headaches... arghhh. However I kind of (in a sick way) love difficult paints because the ability to conceptilize the finish, what is truly happening with the finish, and reverse engineer a solution is what detailing is all about in my opinion. And when that doesn`t work? Sometimes you guess and get lucky!

i did one step only SIP on meguiar`s polish pad and Flex DA , but with long run and slow movement ... took me forever plus when i try to use any final polish on a test spot i mess up the finish left behind by SIP ?!...
    I have found that SIP can do a lot of filling on finicky soft paint, particularly when a lot of heat is induced into the panel. I would guess that the reason you where seeing a degradation in the finish quality by moving to a finer polish is because you where pulling out the filling ability of SIP.

Note: SIP isn`t designed as a filler per say and most of the time you are 100% safe, but it is known to have weird reactions, to say the least, on super soft paints.

I would have wiped the panel down 3-5x with 50/50 IPA and left in the sun for a few minutes to see what level of defect return you had.

i try : 205 , 3m ultrafina , prc , finish pad , polish pad , 3m blue pad , g110 , flex da lower speed , hi-speed , NOTHING! SIP was only thing that work at least to get it close to better finish.
    anyway the car is better than before but still need some work.
    When attempting to final polish very soft/difficult paints sometimes the smallest tweak in technique is necessary, and while forums help pass along information, there is never a replacement for experience. One thing to remember with very soft paint is that you are removing a more than normal amount of material per step.

As you abrade away paint it can/will/does get mixed into the polish (on both the paint and the pad). This abraded material can act almost as an adhesive, binding the abrasives together (instead of allowing them to roll along the paint). This `clumping` results in a more aggressive abrasive that can scour the finish, even as you are attempting to final polish the surface. Since the abrasives become more abrasive (if that makes sense) you remove even more material and end up perpetuating the problem.

What to do?

Clean your pad as much as possible, even during a panel. Perhaps start with your finest grade polish (PO85rd or 3M Ultrafine) using a DA and a softer finishing pad (such as black). Work using firm pressure until the polish begins to clean up than stop. Brush the pad (or blow it out using compressed air if you have any) to remove any attached abrasives from the foam. Now bump your speed down to 4 and continue polishing using the same pressure as before. Work for an additional 3 passes than stop and clean the pad once again. Reduce speed to 3 and continue to polish using similar pressure (what we are looking for is a very slow rotation of the pad, perhaps one per second, to fully utilize the orbital motion of the DA).

On difficult to finish paint I like to test in the brightest light possible (the sun even) so I can see the finish `real-time` and make the appropriate adjustments to my technique on the fly.

Sorry for my educational rant on your show`n`shine, I just thought I could offer some advice. The car looks much better and I`m sure the owner was pleased, which is all that matters!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It may have been a pain to work on but from your pictures it looks very nice now. The owner must have been pleased.

Some nice tips from Todd.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice save on that Super-car! I`d love to own one but I don`t like soft paint (not that I could ever afford it LOL!)

Good advice Todd - I`ve filed away in my ever increasing detail hand book.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    GT-R`s are the reason manufactures make glaze. Nice job Cos :

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful job Cos. The hard work certainly paid off BIGTIME:drool5:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    thank`s guys for support and info , i think the main issue when i try to use finish polish was the temperature , mid 30`s F.
    i even run the flex for 10 minutes to make sure has some heat. but the panels were cold.
    ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks good to me. There is nothing worse than not being able to find the right combo and still disappointed with the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information