Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a small 10oz bottle of Black Magic Dashboard Protectant, the one that was reported to be like 303. I found this product to feel like it was just white colored water and did not leave any matte finish on my vinyl like 303 does. It did not leave any better finish than water alone. When I applied 303, I was able to see where it was at once it dried, compared to the spots on the vinyl that did not have any protection. With the Black Magic Dashboard protectant I could not tell any difference between the water applied section and the one with protectant. It was 2-3 months since I applied any protection on my vinyl, before the Black Magic Dash Protectant. Maybe I have a bad bottle of Black Magic Dashboard Protectant. Hopefully the "Tested #1 in UV protection" it claims to have was in the bottle. It just seems this formula is very low in resins or any type of protectant. I will pay the 3 extra dollars for the 8oz of 303 protectant at my local auto store from now on.
    I did not put this in the review section because it was more of a complaint about a product that does not seem to do what it advertises.
    To avoid any lawsuits(like the VW guy), I am not putting down the Black Magic Protectant company(Pennzoil?). These are just the facts I observed with <span class=`bbc_underline`><em class=`bbc`>MY[/i] bottle of Black Magic Protectant. Maybe you will have a better experience.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    As BM`s unofficial posterchild I feel compelled to apologize for it not working out for you.

Some of us have found the product to work very well on dashboards. A friend of mine has the same dash and year car as mine and I use the product and he only uses water (it`s been two years) he noticed how my dash looks "healther" than his (and I agree) but that`s just on our VW dashes. He has now since switched from water to the product.

My only question would be if you applied it with a foam applicator (not terry) and applied a good amount. You should be able to see your application because you basically slop it on prettty wet (to the point before it actually drips). On smooth plastic parts like radio buttons, a swipe is all you need.

I also have it on my tires and it beads rain for at least two weeks (even though I feel that other products may be better for tires).

So maybe you could try applying a lot (but not too much to drip) but enought to make look wet, like stain. If you felt you did in your initial application, then maybe it won`t work for your vehicle.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it and it is a pretty good product the semi gloss one not that oily one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used this stuff on the following dashes now:

1. `99 Acura 3.2 TL

2. `01 BMW 330i

3. `00 Acura Integra

4. `90 Subaru Legacy Wagon (my new beater)

It has worked fantastically on all of them. It does leave a different appearance than water, since it adds a SLIGHT amount of sheen and a darker look, in my experience.

My complaints with the product is that you have to use lots of it, it is hard to tell where it was applied, and it is easy to apply the product unevenly. With the right technique, though, it works out nice. I still have to try 303. Probably in the spring when the BM i have runs out.

Did you shake the bottle well before use? Maybe all the active ingredients precipitated out and need to be resuspended? Also, I assume we are all talking about the BM Semi-Gloss Dash Protectant, not the waterless formula that is greasy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried the product on several cars and have been happy with it. The product has more of a darkening effect rather than leaving a sheen. It will make the colors appear darker and cleaner. I notice this on dark color trim, and especially black trim. It really darkens it, and make it look like new. I have noticed that on average it lasts for around 2 weeks on interiors of daily drivers, longer on garage queens.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely see the darkening with 303 but not with the Black Magic Semi-Gloss non-oily Dashboard Protectant. Oh well. Back to the 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have had great results with it… but now it`s impossible to find. I guess I have to stock up on that stuff when I find it.

The cars that I have had good results from were…

1.) 2000 BMW 325i

2.) 1999 BMW 528I

3.) 2002 Toyota Camry

4.) 2000 Volkswagen Jetta

On those cars, it left the surface darker, but not shinier. It was a bit greasy on the previous generation BMW 3-serious though. Another note is that those cars mentioned above all had the "soft-touch" and very absorbent dashes.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the cars I listed previously have a softer, naturally matte finish from the factory, except for the `90 Subaru. That one has a VERY hard dash, which has a VERY slight sheen and a nice brightening effect from the BM Dash protectant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a bottle of this at a Super Kmart after listening to YoSteve`s opinions on it, and you DO have to apply a lot of it to get results, and foma is the way to go. I use an old Turtle Wax foam applicator and it works great for it. I just spray it good a couple times and apply, works wonders on my dash

Post Thanks / Like
    (((BUMP))), I absolutly love Super K-mart!!! It`s like Disneyland, haha. Mine has everything, including an arcade (haha, I sound like a little kid). It`s one of the few places in the area that is open all night (yeah, I live in the boonies!) I`m glad you can find it at yours. But I shouldn`t have a lot of trouble locating it because the makers of it are in Cleveland hmmm, maybe I should give them a ring and sell it (with applicators of course )

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I guess Super Kmart is one of your best bets, since I`ve heard Ohio detail product retailers are next to nil. I just discovered the wonder of AutoZone, they have Meguiars #26 Sometimes when I go to places like that I feel really stupid because I linger in that area for a long time trying to make decisions SK and AZ have about 20 different tire dressings alone, 30 or so waxes, I get light headed

Post Thanks / Like
    (((BUMP))), I linger a lot in stores too trying to make a decison. I read everything and don`t even let me near a pharmacy when choosing something like toothpaste sometimes I think people are watching and thinking that I`m going to swipe everything. It get`s really bad, when I have to buy something I haven`t bought in awhile, like when I need bandaids or vitamins, I walk in the the store (or every store I can find) and think, oh boy, here we go again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you and me are alot alike Steve :up I`ve even found other uses for the Black Magic: I used some on my amp since it has that textured black finish with a very slight sheen, I used some BM on it and it looks great. I also used it on the rubber surrounds of my subs and it really made a difference there. When I first got them I used some Armorall on them (mistake, doh!) and it turned them to a light black/almost dark grey color. Plus it shined maybe for a couple days and turned the ugly color. I BM`d the one sub about a week or so ago, maybe more, and it still looks great. If I put the two side by side you can easily tell which one has which product on it. :up :up :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Wally World is good!

I bought some last night for $2.00 a bottle. Price reduction The little yellow smiley guy and all. Go check it out.:up

:bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just at Wal-Mart (Vallejo-CA) last night and saw this Black Magic. There were two types of bottles. Sorry, I was tired and don`t remember exactly what the two types were. I do remember it was really cheap and they had just opened the two cases. If I hadn`t just bought some 303 and been so pleased with it, I would have bought some. Actually I came really close to buying some anyways.

As for wondering the aisles, I was just thinking this last night. I stopped on my way home from work. It was almost eleven at night and I was in my business dress with a trench coat and I was wandering the isle for a while. (Looking to pickup some supplies for doing the girlfriend`s car this weekend.) I started having this funny feeling that people were watching me and wondering what the hell I was doing in that isle for so long. Since I am still learning about all these different products, I spend a great deal of time reading the back of the bottles. I thought for sure someone was going to stop me on the way out and check my trench for lifted items.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information