Post Thanks / Like
    This question is for Pro`s with a fixed location, but of course, any responses are appreciated.

Ok, so after convincing a client to use your services. How do you actually get the vehicle to your shop?

Here`s what I know of:

-Free pickup and delivery

-Customer drops the vehicle off and someone follows them to take them back to where they need to be (home, office, etc.)

-Customer drops the vehicle off and gets a loaner car (only for repeat, trusted customers, don`t want to give out a car to just anyone)

-Customer drops the vehicle off and someone from the shop give them a ride to where they need to be (back to work, etc.) -- this one would waste alot of extra time, maybe set a distance to how far to give a ride too (5-10 miles or so)

The top two are probably the most popular if I had to guess. The others are just ideas, I don`t know if they are used or would work.

Each method has a problem, though.

-Customers may not trust you to drive their car.

-It can be a pain for the customer to have someone follow them and give them a ride

-Loaner cars can be an expensive liability

-Rides back would waste time, but could be doable with a separate employee whose only job would be to drive (I know some car dealerships around town employ newly retired men who want to keep busy, but don`t want to keep working real hard and don`t expect much $$)

I guess these are just problems that must be dealt with, similar to any other auto service, such as tire places or other mechanic shops.

I`d just like to make it more convenient for the customer, don`t want to make it a pain in the arse to have their car detailed everytime, discouraging them from doing it or using a mobile detailer. That is a big advantage for you mobile guys. )

Please comment on the above, share your method or anything else that would be helpful in this area.

Thanks.

EDIT: Along the same lines... how to deal with this when doing cars for dealers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your quandry was one of the reasons I went mobile.

PM Jimmy Buffit this link so he sees it. He has a well established shop.

BTW, the reason you should PM him this link instead of PM-ing him the actual question is because more than just you will be interested in the answer. This way, when the question comes up again, the answer is in the actual forum.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    These are some of the negative reasons why I went mobile too. For me, being in the detailing business is all about providing a totally positive customer experience that is both professional and convenient.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    70% of my clients bring their vehicle to the shop.

I will occasionally take a client to their office in the morning (no charge), IF they can catch a ride from a coworker to pickup the vehicle.

We charge $15 to pickup and deliver within ten miles. I usually leave my lettered Ford van in front of their house (to advertise in the neighborhood).

Commercial clients (bodyshops, rental car agencies, insurance companies, etc) are individual calls. I usually like to pick them up myself, to be sure I understand their goals and expectations. These cars frequently have specific problems (swirl removal, overspray, oder elimination, etc.)

Frank summed it up. Do what`s most convenient for the customer... It really does pay to exceed their expectations.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bob S.

This question is for Pro`s with a fixed location, but of course, any responses are appreciated.

Ok, so after convincing a client to use your services. How do you actually get the vehicle to your shop?

Here`s what I know of:

-Free pickup and delivery

-Customer drops the vehicle off and someone follows them to take them back to where they need to be (home, office, etc.)

-Customer drops the vehicle off and gets a loaner car (only for repeat, trusted customers, don`t want to give out a car to just anyone)

-Customer drops the vehicle off and someone from the shop give them a ride to where they need to be (back to work, etc.) -- this one would waste alot of extra time, maybe set a distance to how far to give a ride too (5-10 miles or so)

The top two are probably the most popular if I had to guess. The others are just ideas, I don`t know if they are used or would work.

Each method has a problem, though.

-Customers may not trust you to drive their car.

-It can be a pain for the customer to have someone follow them and give them a ride

-Loaner cars can be an expensive liability

-Rides back would waste time, but could be doable with a separate employee whose only job would be to drive (I know some car dealerships around town employ newly retired men who want to keep busy, but don`t want to keep working real hard and don`t expect much $$)

I guess these are just problems that must be dealt with, similar to any other auto service, such as tire places or other mechanic shops.

I`d just like to make it more convenient for the customer, don`t want to make it a pain in the arse to have their car detailed everytime, discouraging them from doing it or using a mobile detailer. That is a big advantage for you mobile guys. )

Please comment on the above, share your method or anything else that would be helpful in this area.

Thanks.

EDIT: Along the same lines... how to deal with this when doing cars for dealers?

Something to note here is that you are NOT covered by the car owners liability insurance when driving their vehicle for business purposes. You must have adequate insurance coverage to cover yourself in case of an accident or you will be held fully responsible by their insurance carrier. This is a common misconception in the automotive related industries. I have seen a mechanic sued by an insurance carrier because he was test driving a customers car and got into an accident. He was under the impression that the customers insurance was covering him while he test drove or picked up and delivered the car. In his case he was lucky - no lawsuits were involved. He only had to pay for the damages to the customers car $7500.00 (OUCH). If there was a lawsuit involved he could have lost his business, home, cars and pretty much any personal assets. Think about it and make sure you cover your ***.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info about the insurance, that`s very good to know.

How do get cars to your shop, ShineShop?

Thanks.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes, I simply assume that detailer`s have Garage Owners coverage. Is that naive on my part, or yours?

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bob S.

Thanks for the info about the insurance, that`s very good to know.

How do get cars to your shop, ShineShop?

Thanks.

We have a garage keepers policy which covers us for pickup/delivery of dealership cars with our dealer plates and pickup/delivery of customers cars as well. We also have $2000000.00 of liability insurance for the business that covers us for a number of different things as well.

For the record, we do not do pick up and delivery on a regular basis as 1) it is a major pain in the *** 2) we assume liability for the vehicle while driving it (why take chances?) 3) I make my money detailing cars - not driving them.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Customers may not trust you to drive their car".

You could argue this with: They already trust you with high-powered machinary that can very easily burn through their car`s paint.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Customers may not trust you to drive their car".

You could argue this with: They already trust you with high-powered machinary that can very easily burn through their car`s paint.

I totally agree. However, I would have alot more control over burning their paint than some bonehead plowing into me on the road.

3) I make my money detailing cars - not driving them.

Excellent point, more time driving cars is less time for detailing.

Thanks for the responses guys, I`m getting some valuable info.

Thread Information