That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After using the search function, I`m still as lost as ever, but I do know that I want deionized water! It is a simple process and "should" be fairly inexpensive.

I`m looking for any and all suggestions, homemade or otherwise.

Has anyone had experience with this rig?

http://www.ionman.com/mark4.html

Seems as if it would be perfect for Mobile use. Me, I don`t need or want the cart,PW, etc.

Thanks!:wavey

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you already have a means to transport the water in your mobile setup, you could try using a Reverse Osmosis Dionizing (RO/DI) filter that is commonly used for large fishtanks. Filter it at home and then transport it to the job.

Do a google search on "ro/di reef" and you`ll find lots of stuff.

The only downside is the larger ones only produce 50 gal/day and cost about $175. Still cheaper than what you were looking at.

Hope this helps (though I doubt it).

Mike

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can build a better one cheaper. Costco has a pressure washer for $350 (gas Powered) and you can buy the same tank they have for $80 the hoses you need to connect this is $20

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bullhead

You can build a better one cheaper. Costco has a pressure washer for $350 (gas Powered) and you can buy the same tank they have for $80 the hoses you need to connect this is $20

You do realize that the device mentioned also de-ionizes the water. It`s not just a portable tank for a pressure washer...

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes but that tank is a softner only not a deionizer. Go to camping world.com and look up rv softners

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Culligan tank (mixed-bed deionizer) to clean water to be electrically pure for high voltage laser pump tubes. We used the stuff for other purposes and if you want clean water, the deionized water works great

The stuff is like a mild acid (no it wont hurt anything) and will “scavenge†the deposits off windows and paint.

We got our setup from Culligan -- we ran a closed-loop system, so a pretty big tank (about 5 foot in height) lasted quite a while for our use (we used the water for G-jobs and for our equipment). We just paid them a monthly fee; it was around $10 month for our needs.

You might just try calling them to see what their charges are for comparison.

The "resin bed" is only good for xxx-cycles and will need a recharge.

As to who is the best "portable" maker of "deionizers", I don`t know. However, I did like the results I got from the mixed-bed technology and needed water that was basically non-conductive (dead pure).

You might want to see what the "upfront" costs are vs. recharge costs to compare different technologies. (Think about this like color ink-jet printers: some are rather cheap, but the supplies are rather expensive and over a year a unit with a low "upfront cost" can really kick you in your wallet compared to a more expensive unit with cheaper consumables)...

LINK to what I was using:

http://www.culliganmiami.com/pf5.html

"In a mixed-bed deionizer, cation and anion resins are thoroughly mixed in a single tank. The mixed resins act like a series of alternating cation and anion exchange tanks to produce very high quality water. A mixed-bed deionizer typically produces water with greater than 10,000,000 Ohm-cm resistance, which is equivalent to less than 0.05 mg/L of sodium chloride..."

They would just swap tanks when the water quality lamp would light (it`s a small neon bulb).

http://www.culliganmiami.com/pf5.html

http://www.culliganmiami.com/page5.html

YMMV

Thread Information