Thread: My Flex Review

Post Thanks / Like

My Flex Review

This is my brief write up of the new Flex DA polisher...

Yesterday was nice enough to give it a try on my Murano. I had some fine swirl marks in spots from sand and other winter destructions...I used my Flex polisher, a white 6.5" CCS pad and some Menzerna Final Polish.

Size: It has a rotary look and feel to it, its long and uses a trigger to turn the device on and off, with a handle up front to allow for easy movement. I did not attach the side handle as I felt its not needed...

Its lighter then a rotary and shorter, although heavier then a PC. The unit feels solid. Its ize though does make it difficult to get into tighter areas.

Operation: Its a fairly smooth running machine. It can tend to pull in one direction especially at higher RPM`s. However it was not that hard to keep it going where you wanted it to.

As far as loudness, it generates a different type of noise, not as high pitched as a PC, but its probably just as loud. It has significantly less Vibration then a PC, which after doing a panel helps as your hand does not get tingly as fast...

Polishing: Here is where it shines. It works much faster then a PC, its higher RPM`s I found can break down the product in half of the time it would take a PC. Placing it between a PC and a rotary, closer to a rotary in that aspect of its operation. I can only judge by my car but it removed the swirls with one pass, although I am sure the PC could have done the same just with a little more effort. I have two cars coming up to do, that I know are in rough shape so I will test its strength there.

Dislikes: Speed adjustment placement. I first spread my polish with the machine off, then set it to 1 or 2 to spread it evenly around the area, before working it up to 5 or 6 depending on its need. Now where this is located is on the side of the handle, which during operation makes it very difficult to change speeds on the fly. I almost wish it were on top of the unit much like my rotary. I found my self stopping, removing the machine from the surface and adjusting the speed.

Concerns: I made this category as I think there is a solution coming out for this soon. Because of its setup being intermeshed so to speak like a gear with its backing plate, you are limited to the backing plate that comes on the machine. However it appears that edge might be making a adapter for this, which would be nice to stick on some smaller lets say 4" pads for when you want to just address a smaller area.

Overall: This is based on only one use but it seems like its very well built. It will replace my PC as far as a go to polisher when the defects aren`t bad enough that a rotary is the only solution. However because of its size I may still use the PC in some tighter areas. I think its price tag is very high and should probably be in line with some of the higher priced rotaries. While its potential to do damage based on its RPM level being greater, I don`t think any of the detailers on this board would run into trouble.

Thanks for reading...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Flex Review

Thanks for a great review

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking time to review the Flex.

Only one option for a backing plate, eh? Edge is thinking of adding a four inch backing plate? Does that mean that they already have a five and six inch backing plate?

Your review as well as other reviewers that I respect have said the same thing. It is a sound product capable of more correcting than a PC. I am one that is normally a "jump in" kind of guy. Why am I so reticent to "jump in" on a machine that has recieved such glowing reviews? It most likely is the cost that is holding me back. I may be a liberal when it comes to spending yet, my Scottish ancestry is still flowing through my veins for something this expensive.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. I keep wanting to get one of these, but then again it costs a shiny nickel and I`m cheap. Must be the accountant in me... I wish the price would drop a little, but I doubt I`ll get to see that.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Edge adapter you don`t need a backing plate. The adapter allows all different size Edge pads to be used.

I don`t believe its quite ready for the Flex yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephan

Thanks for the review I have mixed feelings about getting one of these...sort of a PC on steroids IMO....I really don`t think that I would need it based on the fact that I use the rotary when I think that its needed and the PC if its not there is little in between for me.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew that beautiful day would not go to waste

Nice review I think I`m with Dave on waiting as I`d just assume take out a rotary if needed than having a PC on steroids (bad word it could keep you out of the record books when detailing events are listed )

I`ll take a closer look at one at Detailfest and give me opinion then
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw it in action a few months ago and like it but the cost is a little to much for me, i would just spend it on a rotary and with the extra money get some pads and a BP too, see you there at DF!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I knew that beautiful day would not go to waste

Nice review I think I`m with Dave on waiting as I`d just assume take out a rotary if needed than having a PC on steroids (bad word it could keep you out of the record books when detailing events are listed )

I`ll take a closer look at one at Detailfest and give me opinion then
    wait one cotton picking second...that`s what Natty said about your P-w-C....Klasse on steroids

Could keep you out of the carnauba hall of fame
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    wait one cotton picking second...that`s what Natty said about your P-w-C....Klasse on steroids

Could keep you out of the carnauba hall of fame

I`ll admit it ... we used steroids for performance enhancement

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the nice replies...it`s not on steriods its on HGH, so there is not a test for it...

well at least that what my trainer at poorboys told me Steve Mcnamee

Anyways...if you are an advanced rotary user, then this is probably not necassary, however, while I am getting better with a rotary, I am not at the point yet where I can complete a car start to finsih with just a rotary, I always have to finish with a light polish with my PC...for me this eliminates a step...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post

well at least that what my trainer at poorboys told me Steve Mcnamee
    My name is Hans Poorboy and this is my assistant Franz Pockets ... we`re here to " pump you up"

Thread Information