Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Critique my PC technique (vid)

I took a video with my digital camera(poor quality) of me practicing with my new PC. I have a `winter rat` that was the perfect guinea pig in case I screwed up.
    It was only like 42 degrees outside, but I tried it anyway.
    Does it look like I`m working too fast? Does it look like I broke down the polish enough?
    As far as the results: the finish look way better, but I knew it wasn`t gonna be anywhere near perfect since the finish it very scratched and marred etc.

MVI_0096.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique my PC technique (vid)

The speed looks about right to me. It`s hard to tell about the polish- what did you use? It probably could have used a little more work in time.

A few little tips- after you get the polish spread on the surface work side to side, up and down, and then corner to corner. This way you`ll have even covereage of the polish and hit the swirls at all angles. I find that if I do that process 2 times (side to side, up and down, corner to corner, sided to side, up and down, corner to corner) that the polish has broken down in that time period. Also, be sure to throw that cord over your shoulder so it doesn`t rub against the fenders when you get to your daily drivers .

Thanks for the video and good work.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nathansdad04
    I took a video with my digital camera(poor quality) of me practicing with my new PC. I have a `winter rat` that was the perfect guinea pig in case I screwed up.
    It was only like 42 degrees outside, but I tried it anyway.
    Does it look like I`m working too fast? Does it look like I broke down the polish enough?
    As far as the results: the finish look way better, but I knew it wasn`t gonna be anywhere near perfect since the finish it very scratched and marred etc.

MVI_0096.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    The video wasn`t that bad, but it looked like you weren`t following a method of how to polish an area using overlapping passes from one end to the other whether going from vents towards the front of the car or from right side of hood to left or vice versa. But I`m a total beginner who has only polished his motorcycle and no cars yet, so don`t take what I say too seriously.

Videography is a hobby of mine. How did you take the video and do the polishing at the same time???

Post Thanks / Like

I held my digital camera in one hand and tried to polish with the other. I tried to illustrate the basic speed of my polishing rather than correct overlapping etc. It was too hard to balance the camera and polish correctly.
    The finish on the car in the vid is in pretty bad shape (lots of scratches, marring, etc etc. To do this car correctly I`d need a rotary (and I`m not going that route for a `97 Grand Am).
    I used SSR 2.5 w/ orange pad(2 passes), then SSR2 w/ orange pad (couple passes), then SSR1 w/ white pad(2 passes). I didn`t bother with SSR1 and gray pad cause it would`ve been a waste of polish since there was no way I was going to be able to get a great result with just a PC on this finish....and I didn`t want to waste the SSR1.

Post Thanks / Like

nathansdad04

I use the same Poorboy polishes that you do but not with the Orange Pad. I don`t know what speed you used but if the scratches etc. were not improved, maybe they`re through the clearcoat and into the paint. I have one spot where I tried to do a chip repair and I`m sure I went through the clearcoat AND the paint as their is one pin-prick spot that is clear metal now. It`s not a big area so maybe I`ll just put some primer followed by a stroke of my paint color from the pen applicator I have and leave it at that.

Considering you operated the camera with one hand and the polisher with the oher, I think you should take up Videography seriously. I`ve been doing it a long time and could not have done that.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried polishing my black Mustang today(with less than stellar results). It was about 50 degrees outside and sunny. I used SSR 2 and an orange pad. It got out the larger swirls. I followed up with SSR1 with a white pad(couple passes) and 1 pass with SSR1 and gray LC pad.
    Final result: lots of micromarring! It`s actually noticeable from a few feet from the car(in bright sunshine). I`ve gone over the same small panel on the door over and over and still can`t get the marring to go away.
    I tried working slower, I tried less polish, I tried a little more polish and it still won`t go away! Should I try speed 6 instead of 5?
    Here are a couple of short vids of my technique today:

MVI_0100.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

MVI_0101.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...4/IMG_0099.jpg

I`ve posted on the AG forum also, cause I need all the help I can get.
    BTW: this is the car I`m working on

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5.../PCmustang.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Crank it on up to 6!!! Nothing to worry about- I`d go up to #7 or #8 if it`d let me . As for the micromarring... sorry can`t help you. Your product combos and technique look spot on. Maybe cranking it up to 6 would help. How much pressure are you applying to the panel?

How about when you do it next time apply a little more pressure, not too much, but hard enough so the pad`ll still spin and not just jiggle. Keep us posted.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

As for the micromarring after using that L.C. orange pad follow up with the same polish and a L.C white polishing pad you then will see the micromarring disapear then use your SSR1 or if you have it Pro Polish and don`t be afraid crank it up full speed ahead good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this straight....use SSR2 w/ orange, then SSR2(again) with white pad?
    Unfortunately I only have 1 white pad....can I clean the pad after using the SSR2, spin it dry and use it again with SSR1?
    Is it all possible that I`ve been working the polish in too LONG?
    As far as pressure goes....I haven`t been putting much pressure on the pad.
    I DO have the PP....should I be using it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats right after using the SSR2 with the L.C. orange pad swtch to the polishing pad L.C.white pad and again use the SSR2 that should clean up the paint so you can go on to the next step and yes you can just clean the pad and then use SSR1 with out a problem I don`t think you worked the polish too long I think you made things worse with the orange pad so I would now hit it with SSR2 and the polishing pad...remember to run the PC on 6 you won`t hurt anything

Post Thanks / Like

How did I make things worse with the orange pad? When I first started out I used the white pad and SSR2 to get rid of the swirls/spiderwebbing. It didn`t do the job. I THEN used the orange pad and the SSR2 and the swirls were gone.
    Should I be using speed 6 for all of my PCing? Any hints at how much pressure I should be using(in general)?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How did I make things worse with the orange pad? When I first started out I used the white pad and SSR2 to get rid of the swirls/spiderwebbing. It didn`t do the job. I THEN used the orange pad and the SSR2 and the swirls were gone.
    Should I be using speed 6 for all of my PCing? Any hints at how much pressure I should be using(in general)?
    Basically you answered your own question, when you saw that you needed to bump up to an orange pad to get the swirls, you moved to a move abrasive process. Following the orange pad with the white polishing pad using the same product will remove any marring caused by the more abrasive combo, before moving on to a less abrasive combo ie. using the SSR1 with either a white or black pad. Stepping down a level is how you can get better results but as said before, you are definitely on your way with your process and don`t be afraid to kick that machine up to 6
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...I get it now. Now if I go with SSR2 w/ orange then white pad....do I then go with white pad with SSR2 then white pad with SSR1?
    Geez...with this method I`ll have to spend 1/2 for each 18" x 18" panel!
    Is all of this normal for a car with light swirling/webbing?
    What about pad pressure? Should I so-called `lean into` the pad a bit when I polish?
    Am I gonna be able to finish my car with just 1 bottle of SSR1 at this rate?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...I get it now. Now if I go with SSR2 w/ orange then white pad....do I then go with white pad with SSR2 then white pad with SSR1?
    Geez...with this method I`ll have to spend 1/2 for each 18" x 18" panel!
    Is all of this normal for a car with light swirling/webbing?
    What about pad pressure? Should I so-called `lean into` the pad a bit when I polish?
    Am I gonna be able to finish my car with just 1 bottle of SSR1 at this rate?
    lol ..it`s a learning process, basically you will learn to go with your instincts after a first pass, like you did when you switched to the orange pad...
    You will make a more informed desicion on which pad to start with, how hard to press and how long to work it. Following the SSR2 (orange) with SSR2 white will be needed but at that point i would move straight to SSR1 with a finishing pad(black) not a polishing pad (white) which will give that final glow..you may be able to skip the SSR1 when you get a better feel for the process.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Skip to the black pad?? Is the white pad with the SSR1 causing the micromarring maybe? Will the PP do anything to remove the micromarring?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information