Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Not new but absent for a while.................

I saw a post today about missing members, well I have been MIA for 4 months and here is why...........

Hey guys, my time here has been reduced on everything except cleaning and fixing and paying and replacing. I will explain in more detail and with pictures but in a nut shell Hurricane Sandy devistated my area. Almost 4 Monts later life it not back to normal quite yet although the worst is over.

After being with out power for 12+ days, struggling to get gas for the cars and the generator I lost my DD (2012 Infiniti M37X, contents of the garage (Luckily the buffers were well above the water line but all the chemicals were destroyed-LSP were already in winter storage inside the house and therefore spared!), contents of the first floor of my house (Everything under 36" is in the garbage now), HVAC system, Water Heater, Washer, Dryer, re-wire entire lower lever electrical service, replace outside compressors/condensers for the A/C, all the plants and trees in front of the house dead except for 1 that might be showing signs of life. To say it has been a big, huge, expensive mess would be a tremendous understatement!

I did get a new DD finally. Not too different from before but it is a 2013 M37X Sport. I got the car after a very long wait as cars here were sold out and I was particular on the color and model. Stuck with White Pearl extrerior and dove gray leather interior seats, (black mats and headliner). Little different and I hope the light seats wont haunt me but it`s just a lease so I get to give it back in 39 months. No winter prep yet, it had been too cold sub zero most days so an extended wet wash and full day of dedicated car cleaning is out. I have been to wrapped up in the house work anyway. Car has not been washed by me ever. No dealer prep so it still has the tape lines on it as I did not have the dealer swirl it up for me. All I did was seal the seats with Leather Sealant. I picked up some Wolf`s locally. SO far so good.

More to follow-I should have everything done by Valentines Day at least that is what I pormised my wife so I better get it done! 4 Long Months!

See you soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not new but absent for a while.................

Sorry to hear about your home. Glad you are safe and getting back on your feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear Jeff keep plugging at it and glad to hear you and your family are okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the damage. Grew up on the Gulf Coast and understand what a hurricane can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys,

Yes, most importantly we are all OK. Actually evacuated and went to a Hurricane Party at my Sister in Laws house.

The rest is just stuff and we are clawing our way back. Getting close. Plus I get to but all new detailing stuff! Cant wait.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Sorry to hear about your home. Glad you are safe and getting back on your feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    Sorry to hear Jeff keep plugging at it and glad to hear you and your family are okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the damage. Grew up on the Gulf Coast and understand what a hurricane can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to hear you are Ok but such devastation can take time to fix.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Jeff. Glad you are ok.

Welcome back
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are okay (most important), glad you got a new ride, glad you are back here!

Post Thanks / Like

Contractors are hard to get, big shortage of Labor. I have been lucky hiring trades I have known and I am GCing myslef. Not as much fun as it sounds. It is like trying to heard cats! They say they are going to showe but dont or they say 8AM and at 11AM you still trying to contact them. Negotiating a price is un-do-able. If you don`t agree to what they propose, they don`t come back or call back?? More work out there than perople are to do it. We got a huge estimate on painting. 4 grand for 3 rooms. I asked for a break out labor, material and how many man hours. He said, why, thats the estimate. I gave hoim back his estimate. He said, you can`t find ayone too easily? I said, I would do ity myself if I had to. Same type of crap from the tile layer. Hired to the guy to show up Monday. Texted Sunday night to confirm time. Got a see you at 9AM test. Never showed. Did not hear from him for 2 days. He called like nothing was wrong. He took a Small job for hi profit that came availible. I told him that was unprofessional and that he must work every day until my job is done, full days. He told me I am lucvky I got him at all becasue he is swamped. I told him I did not feel too lucky and fired him before he started. Just a major time hog for me. Been doing what I can myself and my kids are really pitching in where they can as well.

I have just about had it and I am at the point where I am ready to take a class at Home Depot on how to lay tile and do it myself! Last guy left epoxy grout all over the tiles and it was a ton of work to get off.

We are 4 Months and some in and I am down to a punch list and one major project, a water heater to install. Just waiting for a licensed plumber to be availible since I needed to file a permit and need him to close it out with the building department. Then all that is left is cosmetic, Audio visual and decorationg. All I handle is the Audio Visual.

Oh what fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I am glad to hear you are Ok but such devastation can take time to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, getting back on top of it as we speak. For a while I left like I was stuck in a spin cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Sorry to hear that Jeff. Glad you are ok.

Welcome back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, and we are. Once I get the car cleaned up I will most likely permanon it until the weather breaks and I can polish it up and coat it really well. Do you know if Permanon will bond properly to a clean surface in sub 32 degree weather. This wekend will get into the mid 30`s and I hope to clean it up. Lucky for me the brake dust on the Infiniti is childs play. If this were a BMW or a MB it would be a miserable weel cleaning session.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Glad you are okay (most important), glad you got a new ride, glad you are back here!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you Jeff!

That`s a lot to deal with so take your time and things will return to normal in order. When events become that overwhelming I make a list of priorities and focus on the top three. If I have some breathing room maybe more but it`s easy for this stuff to get out of hand..Best wishes and be safe...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you and family are ok friend....

Don`t envy the work ahead.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

btw

where`s the garage queen ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, After reading your post I see you are speaking from experience. That is how I feel. Trying not to take it out on anyone but I have been walking around stressed out for a while. My fuse is short for non sense but it has been working for me. Many (not all..but many) contractors confuse niceness for weakness. That ain`t me! The reminders on my iPhone have been a life saver as have the tasks. Otherwise I would need a personal assistant. Guess I have one in Siri!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Good to hear from you Jeff!

That`s a lot to deal with so take your time and things will return to normal in order. When events become that overwhelming I make a list of priorities and focus on the top three. If I have some breathing room maybe more but it`s easy for this stuff to get out of hand..Best wishes and be safe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information