Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Up until the autopia detailing seminar this past weekend I thought I had all the machines I needed. They included the DAPC/ Cyclo/Dewalt High Speed and the DEWalt 443DA. I guess I was wrong. When Prinz and Dave brought out the rotary they bought from Harbor tools (www.harborfreight.com) I was impressed at what they had. First off the thing was only $29.95!!!!!!! I know, your going to say what does it last a week? well they told me they had it for 4 years and it was still going fine. I PAID $239 FOR MY DEWALT Here is what I like about this machine besides the price. It is much lighter than the DeWalt thus easier to handle. The rpm range goes from 300 - 3000 rather than 1000-3000 like mine. That makes it more versatile. Did I mention I bought one today!!!!! here is the model #92623, you can order it on line and it does come with a velcro plate. What more can I say???? its a must have GARY

Post Thanks / Like
    Costs alot more than 29.95, but you would probably like the Metabo. I have use mine with one hand on roofs of cars. Another great buffer that comes in handy for tight spots is the Wen mini orbital. All in all, I have the Cyclo, the Metabo, a Milwaukke rotary, and the Wen.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`ve been thinking of adding a Makita to go with my Cyclo, PC and B&D trio.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant believe turbomangt said he bought a Harbor Freight rotary .. Wow

Come back and tell us what you think the TRUE rpm`s are with proper 5 or 6" urethane backing plate and pad with only machine weight laying on finish ( loaded weight RPM`s )

I`ve heard it is approx 3/4 of what it is is rated for .. I believe it after using one

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, the $29 HF unit doesn`t have electronic speed control so it will bog down under a load where as a rotary with electronic speed control will maintain that same speed whether loaded or not. The absence of speed control doesn`t make this product bad, but it does make it different. Used properly, a person could actually capitalize on the absence of the speed control to allow improved feathering. I`ve done this many times with both air and electric powered tools for various sanding and polishing work (home improvement and auto body work). Most rotaries are pretty simplistic in their designs and there`s really not much to them if you open one up and check it out.

HF also offers a $49 speed controlled sander / polisher with soft start that has a digital LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and buttons that allow you to change the RPM from !K to 3K in increments of 100 RPM. There would be no questions of whether or not the speed dial was set to an exact speed or if the speed was slightly too fast or too slow based on the metrics of where the dial meets the pointer because you would simply select the RPM you want to run which is clearly displayed on the tool in numeric format via LCD. This particular tool is made by YAT Tools of China and you may see it showing up under different brand names later this year. I like the idea of this polisher and the price, but I wish it would work down to a lower RPM and also offer a rotary wheel for speed control in addition to push buttons along with a variable speed trigger.

I`ve got an old Rockwell rotary that I`ve almost worked to death since I`ve had it along with some smaller Makita rotaries, lots of air rotary tools (various rotary and dual action polishers / sanders, engravers, grinders, etc) and recently picked up a Hitachi SP18VA to add to the collection which is what I`ll be using for detailing our trucks, but I may pick up a $29 HF unit just to play with and keep at another property that we sometimes use. HF also sells a 1 year replacement warranty for $5 and 2 years costs $10 if you`re worried about problems. I`m sure the $29 HF tool will be significantly noisier than any Makita, Matebo, Fein, Hitachi, etc, but it still should do a good job with the right pads and most important will be your technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the $29 HF rotary mentioned above is made by Zhejiang Wuyi Surpass Tools Manufacture Co., Ltd, which is located in Wuyi City, Zhejiang Province of China.

Here`s the link to the HF unit with the LCD that`s made by YAT Tool...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

Another rotary that has intrigued me is this Proline unit being sold by Tool Price and other companies. I don`t know how heavy it is, but it does have electronic speed control, soft start, a nice RPM range (0 to 3000), both a `D` and straight handle, ball & roller bearings, etc. It`s sold here for $69 and at well over $100 at other places. Even though Tool Price and other companies say this tool is made by Pro Line Products, I believe it`s really made by Supowertools in Hong Kong. Here`s the link...

http://www.toolprice.com/product/6744L

And if you look closely at this specific model of the Coleman Powermate PMB7284, you may see a resemblance to the Proline with very minor differences .

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/CPM-PMB7284.html

Post Thanks / Like
    The HF does bog and is best used at near max speed. The machine is light wt. but my Makita works much better. My HF rotary is still for sell BTW. Check my Signature if interested!

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    I was about to ask about the bogging. When using it on the roof of the `36 Ford, it would bog down (PC didn`t bog down at all, BTW). I am going to buy a flexible backing plate for it because the backing plate that comes with it is hard and will wreak havoc.

Post Thanks / Like
    For $29 I`ll play with it, like others have said, its all in the techique. The reason I bought my DeWalt 443 DA is because the DAPC would bog under pressure. I still use the DAPC under certain situations. So now that I have two rotary`s I can alternate under different circumstances. Seems as though DeWalt makes quality tools. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll stick to the Metabo :2thumbs:

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    has anyone used the hitachi? SP18VA i found it for $129 shipped

11 Amp motor, forcible power that supports a variety of applications

Heat resistant bearing chamber and iron ball bearings to extend tool life and durability

Three electronically controlled devices; constant speed control, soft start, and two-way variable speed controls located on both the trigger and dial for flexibility and control

Loop-handle design, for efficiency and comfort

6.2 lbs, lightweight design facilitates maneuverability and ease of use
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought the Hitachi SP18VA from a local tool supplier for $99. I got lucky because this store normally doesn`t stock this product and they special ordered it for somebody who didn`t pay for it, so they blew it out at a super low price.

I used it today for the first time and it`s a solid well built product in my opinion. It also comes with a factory 5 year warranty and there are plenty warranty centers across the US which is convenient. I have several Makita rotary grinders that I`ve used in contruction, auto body, welding, fabrication, etc, and my SP18VA runs smooth & quiet like my Makita rotary grinders.

I`ve never owned a Makita 9227, but I`ve used one before in other applications (not polishing cars) and from what I recall about the Makita 9227, the Hitachi SP18VA starts quicker and the trigger is a bit more tricky to use if you want smooth linear starts. I wish I had the two side by side to do a current comparison, but I`m quite happy with the SP18VA, especially since my Rockwell rotary polisher / sander is on its last legs and my air rotaries are no longer as convenient since I`ve made different use of my shop space.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll propably use the DeWalt most of the time, however I wish it had a lower speed setting than 1,000 rmp`s. Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I come with tail between my legs, tried my new $29 buffer, after 5 minutes it was enough, its going back tomorrow. Guess I was a sucker. Not only is it cheaply made but it sounds like its ready to fall apart. Gary/p.s. Please go easy on me, we all make mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, are you going to look at getting the Hitachi?
    Triple Honda Owner

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information