Post Thanks / Like
    Working on a 98 grand am. Repainted about 3 years ago using black PPG paint.

I am using: PC, Excel detail pads, QD, water/soap for washing & a wash mitt.

I had bad swirls before from my wife washing it with a sponge, I buffed it about 8 months ago and it came out flawless. I must have opened up a can of worms.

I started by wash/clay/dry with WW

Then hit the paint with Menzerna IP with the PC and a yellow pad.

I pulled it out into the sun and holograms like a Mother. I used it on speed 4 & 5 and kept the surface wet with QD.

Buffed with a MF.

So I tried to get something with fillers---3m swirl mark remover for dark cars green pad--No luck there either. I then tried Menzerna FP II with a green pad, no luck, still there. Tried Meguiars swirl mark remover 2.0, no luck.

What the H am I doing wrong??? I`ve done this process on 8 cars using IP, FP-II, Glaze & FMJ and have never had this happen.

:work:
    Mighty Hd

Post Thanks / Like
    why are you lubing the panel with QD while you polish? that will affect the polish`s ability to do its job. and with IP, i would suggest running the PC @ 5 at the minimum, preferably @ 5.5 - 6. then follow up with FP II with a polishing pad. let the polish do its work and don`t add to it with QD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD
    ...and kept the surface wet with QD.....

That, my friend, is your problem. The addition of QD to the surface is making the surface more slick(less friction). Less friction = less heat = abrasives don`t break down properly. Take your time and work it again.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    dont prime the pad...a few of the Manufactures ave said that can screw with the polishes makeup. I can atest to that.
    [quote name=`DocHoliday`]I recently had SSR2.5 on toast for breakfast, was tasty and it polished my teeth![/QUOTE]

:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa no wetness!

Water can actually make the polish more agressive, its a no-no :rules:

Post Thanks / Like
    On this site:

http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html

It says to mist it with h20, on 3.5-4 which I did, then I tried QD, then Alochol/h20 50/50. When it was nearly dry, I removed as much as I could with a MF, then spritzed it a bit with the 50/50 mix and it came off.

So you guys say to use IP by itself with NO lubrication at all, work it until it`s dry on 5 or even 6?!

I got frusterated with it and got it cleaned off and did a crap wax job of #27 over it for now. It seems that a lot of the holograms went away but they`re still there.

Now next weekend when I do this again:

IP with NO lubrication on 3 starting, then crank it up to 5. (How do I keep it from drying out so fast?)

Then FP II with or without lubrication?

Glaze with a blue pad

and fmj by hand.

I`m a bit flustered because I`ve done this same process on the black car once before and didnt have this trouble---maybe I opened up a can of worms.... :frusterated:

Thank you dearly for the replies.
    Mighty Hd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD
    On this site:

http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html

It says to mist it with h20, on 3.5-4 which I did, then I tried QD, then Alochol/h20 50/50. When it was nearly dry, I removed as much as I could with a MF, then spritzed it a bit with the 50/50 mix and it came off.

So you guys say to use IP by itself with NO lubrication at all, work it until it`s dry on 5 or even 6?!

I got frusterated with it and got it cleaned off and did a crap wax job of #27 over it for now. It seems that a lot of the holograms went away but they`re still there.

Now next weekend when I do this again:

IP with NO lubrication on 3 starting, then crank it up to 5. (How do I keep it from drying out so fast?)

Then FP II with or without lubrication?

Glaze with a blue pad

and fmj by hand.

I`m a bit flustered because I`ve done this same process on the black car once before and didnt have this trouble---maybe I opened up a can of worms.... :frusterated:

Thank you dearly for the replies.

yeap, i start at 4.5/5 and end at 6. works great, very little hazing, even with a cutting pad. I never use a QD when polishing.
    [quote name=`DocHoliday`]I recently had SSR2.5 on toast for breakfast, was tasty and it polished my teeth![/QUOTE]

:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve primed the pad with water always but only one quick mist as I don`t want to dry buff and get the buffer pad chattering

Had no problems but I know one person who can use Menz by rotary without water and he`s better than me with one

So should I use all Menz products with rotary without any H20 on the pad?
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SVR
    I`ve primed the pad with water always but only one quick mist as I don`t want to dry buff and get the buffer pad chattering

Had no problems but I know one person who can use Menz by rotary without water and he`s better than me with one

So should I use all Menz products with rotary without any H20 on the pad?

My pads are damp on the rotary from washing them out/spin drying and I don`t have this problem.

On the PC, I mist 1 squirt of S&W or water on a dry pad, when I prime the pad and don`t have this issue either.

If you are spraying QD on the panel you`re going to create a mess with sling, and I agree that your polish will be more aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got some menzerna FPII and a little brochure came along with it. The brochure has directions from what looks to be Menzerna, and shows the user misting the pad w/ water.

I have had really good results misting a microfiber pad on the PC , @ around 1-1.5, with moderate pressure.

It could be that the car is dark, and that you are noticing micro-marring and hologramming more b/c of the color.

....You could also try in a spot... FPII on a misted microfiber applicator / rag and do a small spot by hand. If that works to resolve the problem, slap some micofiber in between the pad and the pc and repeat w/ the machine....

COULD YOU LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS 4 U?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to attempt to do this again this weekend hopefully.

I did the neighbor`s car 2 nights ago, using IP, FP, and FMJ---using the same methods I used on my black car, and got NO holograms. he has a factory black paintjob however on an envoy. I wander if it`s because I have aftermarket paint thats giving me the trouble? I think that there is nothing better than factory paint----the aftermarket seems to be too "soft" and easily scratched.
    Mighty Hd

Thread Information