Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just reading the review of the Makita 9227 Circular Polisher in the Autopia "Reviews" section.

What caught my attention was a statement from the description of the Makita from the CMA website, making reference to the Porter Cable 7424:

Dual action polishers (like the Porter Cable 7424) visually reduce swirls by rounding over top edge of the swirl robbing sunlight of a sharp edge to cause a reflection. Fillers in the polish then fill in the swirl making it less noticeable. While the vehicle looks swirl-free, the swirls are still there and re-appear over time.

Is this correct? I always thought the PC would remove swirls, it just would take a lot longer than with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m curious also cause that would go against everything as I understood it:nixweiss. Maybe they meant with certain polishes/cleaners so another :nixweiss !

So subscribing

Post Thanks / Like
    It just depends on the paint and the products and the technique.

I`ve been able to remove minor marring ("swirls") from a number of vehicles with just the PC. That`s "remove" as in they`re really *gone*. But in most cases the "minor marring" was so minor that most people wouldn`t see it anyhow. But a few times I`ve been able to remove some pretty bad flaws. Took *many* hours though. 4" pads help a little as will aggressive products that don`t need heat to break down (Hi-Temp comes to mind).

I`ve also been unable to remove minor marring from some vehicles, most notably Audis, with just the PC. A whole pint of 3M FCRC, a wool pad, and many hours- the marring was merely "rounded over". And yeah, a rotary *in the right hands* will make short work of this sort of marring. Even a Cyclo can work wonders compared to the PC, but neither cuts quite like a rotary.

Note that the CMA quote is ad copy. Since many people will be unable to completely remove marring using only a PC (for a number of reasons, including an unwillingness to spend hours on a single panel), that description of the "difference" between the two machines will sell some rotaries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.

Accumulator, do you own/use a rotary? I`m wondering just how "dangerous" they are in the hands of a novice, like me?

The CMA writeup makes the Makita sound like a rotary for the masses

Post Thanks / Like
    SuperString- Yeah, I have a Makita rotary. They aren`t all *that* dangerous if you use common sense, but they`re not as foolproof as the CMA ad copy makes them sound either.

Years of using a Cyclo with "rotary-style technique" (never letting it stop moving, thinking all the time, etc.) and having used a rotary with wool pads on single stage back in the day might, however, make *my* version of "common sense" a bit skewed.

FWIW, I hardly ever use the rotary, but when I need it I`m glad I have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A rotary isn`t as dangerous as you thought. I dont think you will burn the paint as long as you dont stay at one spot too long and push the machine hard. At first use, 1000RPM feels and sounds scary because it feels like its moving about twice as fast as a PC on speed 6. But after a while, you gain confidence, you crank the speed up higher. Sometimes i work up to speed 1800 - 2000rpm with Wool Pad with no mishaps. Actually at higher speed, the rotary seems to "glide" much easier.
    Detailing is not an obession, its a way of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Makita is a pretty easy machine to get the hang of - I`ve punched out 3 cars so far with mine, and so far no buffer burn, holograms, etc. I`m not sure if its natural talent or just dumb luck. Probably the latter .

I love my Makita, and I`d never go back to the PC. Maybe the Cyclo, if I was just working on my own cars, and time wasn`t money. The difference in terms of speed and to a lesser extent, finish quality, are amazing between a PC and rotary. I once spent 3 hours on a single panel via PC on my heavily swirled GTP. Flash forward about a year, and I`ve buffed out entire cars in less time than that (and gotten em functionally swirl free, to boot), via rotary.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Years of using a Cyclo with "rotary-style technique" (never letting it stop moving, thinking all the time, etc.) and having used a rotary with wool pads on single stage back in the day might, however, make *my* version of "common sense" a bit skewed.

Question about the Cyclo technique, do you move it side to side only, or do you move it up and down/back and forth(which if i understood it correctly, shouldn`t be done with a rotary), when polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by X-Trail

Sometimes i work up to speed 1800 - 2000rpm with steel wool

Am I reading this correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JDookie

Am I reading this correctly?

oops, my bad. WOOL PAD. eehhehehe. I was reading another thread about steel wool and the word steel just sticks
    Detailing is not an obession, its a way of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mark77

Question about the Cyclo technique, do you move it side to side only, or do you move it up and down/back and forth(which if i understood it correctly, shouldn`t be done with a rotary), when polishing?

Although I generall like to treat it like a rotary, using figure-8s (just for the practice/muscle memory reinforcement), you can use it any way you like; it`s just a "PC that doesn`t bog down" and is very forgiving of imperfect technique. Side to side, back/forth, whatever is convenient and comfortable for you.

And it`s not like you *have* to use a rotary in figure-8s, that`s just how I`ve always done it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the PC and Cyclo I sometimes do all three: left to right, up and down and figure 8.

I should practice the figure 8 via rotary some more but I`m most comfortable with the simple side to side.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

I should practice the figure 8 via rotary some more but I`m most comfortable with the simple side to side.

Only problem I have with the side to side is that it`s tough to avoid a "pause" at the end of each stroke, right before you change direction. But then I have no idea whether I`m just unnecessarily splitting hairs :nixweiss

Back in the days of single-speed rotaries/wool pads/ss paint a slight pause could do some serious damage (to both the paint and my employment status ).

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are "dedicated" foam pads made for rotary use, but is it "OK" to use DA pads? What are the pros and cons?

Like a number of you, I find the time required to remove paint defects (swirls this time) is just way too long with the PC. But, if I were to get a rotary, it would be nice if I didn`t have to shell out for a complete new set of pads as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

I gather Figures 8`s were/are the solution to the pause issue on SS?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information