Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been detailing older finishes for some time, but have not worked with any of the new paints/cars out there.

My question is how often to you all use the DA to "rub out" the paint...is there a point of diminishing returns?

I normally use mine on #3 or lower with a buffing pad, or 2 with an orange cut pad.

Thanks

Final thing...this is for my own 2010 Camry SE (RED)

Post Thanks / Like
    The less u touch the paint, the better off u r. U really want to make sure that your wash technique is marr- free so u wont have to buff to remove any defects. Make sure u use a good wash media and preferably dry with a blower or soft MF towel.

Frequently rinse your wash media.

If the car is garaged, u can buff less. If u dont use the car in the winter u can buff less.

If u get your wash technique really good, u can do 2 light buffings- 1 in the fall and 1 in the spring or summer. I like to use Menzerna FPII. After this u can use Menzerna PO85RD to jewel the paint. U can always purchase a paint meter- i bought the Hghline II- about $225.

It also depends on how defect free u want your paint.

Frequent washes will reduce marring. Use a good wax and u will be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrySE
    I`ve been detailing older finishes for some time, but have not worked with any of the new paints/cars out there.

My question is how often to you all use the DA to "rub out" the paint...is there a point of diminishing returns?

Welcome to Autopia!

Many people here use DA/RO polishes for that, some of us use rotaries also/instead.

But yeah...machine polishing.

The "diminishing returns" thing is harder to answer as every job is different. If there`s sufficient paint thickness to work with, and also a good chance that such work won`t need to be done very often, then some people will go for a level of perfection that`s pretty amazing (virtually perfect under specialized lighting and even magnification). Normally, I`d expect to remove most of the clearly visible defects, leaving only those RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches) that are too deep for safe removal.

I normally use mine on #3 or lower with a buffing pad, or 2 with an orange cut pad.

I suppose different polishers will have different settings, but I use higher setting than that on my DA/RO polishers.

What polisher are you using and with what products?

Referring to the title of the thread, IMO if you have to polish out marring more than once a year then something`s wrong (almost certainly with the wash technique). I`m a bit of a fanatic about my washes, but in my case I`m sorely disappointed if I have to polish every year. Some random isolated marks are bound to happen, but overall a vehicle oughta stay very, very nice for a good long time.

Thread Information