Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mean to thread jack but several of you have mentioned that 105 does not give you problems with filling which I find also. What about 205? I haven`t used it before. If you find the same with 205 I may have to get some and leave my Menzerna polishes on the shelf - well except for PO85rd, I will reach for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    I don`t mean to thread jack but several of you have mentioned that 105 does not give you problems with filling which I find also. What about 205? I haven`t used it before..

Noting that I prefer to do any remotely significant correction with something else before switching to M205 (and yeah, I know that others do use it for correction...), IMO M205 leaves *SO* much behind (in the way of oils) that you`d better PrepWash/etc. if you`re concerned about that. And I do mean PrepWash, as IPA doesn`t do nearly as good a job of cleaning off the oils that M205 leaves behind; I`ve used IPA on a given panel repeatedly and *still* had to switch to PrepWash to get it truly clean.

Also, I consider the use of M205 *instead of some finishing polish from Menzerna* to be, uhm....debatable. But OTOH, the filling surprises that 106FF can subject one to are really something too.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the weather permits tomorrow, I`ll hit the paint with M105+orange on the porter cable and report back. I`ll finish it off with a white pad+fp as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Noting that I prefer to do any remotely significant correction with something else before switching to M205 (and yeah, I know that others do use it for correction...), IMO M205 leaves *SO* much behind (in the way of oils) that you`d better PrepWash/etc. if you`re concerned about that. And I do mean PrepWash, as IPA doesn`t do nearly as good a job of cleaning off the oils that M205 leaves behind; I`ve used IPA on a given panel repeatedly and *still* had to switch to PrepWash to get it truly clean.

Also, I consider the use of M205 *instead of some finishing polish from Menzerna* to be, uhm....debatable. But OTOH, the filling surprises that 106FF can subject one to are really something too.

I agree; I find of 205/106ff or *other* I generally prefer other to finish, usually Final Polish. It has fillers too, but they seem to be more easily removed than 205/106ff (5 minutes in the sun will do it, or one/two wipes with isa/water).

Either way, prepwash is awesome, and highly recommended whatever you use.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    ...5 minutes in the sun will do it..

I`m always envious of you folks who can pull a vehicle into the sun for while in mid-detail; I have too many contamination-related issues for than

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. My first guess was that since 205 is from the same company and uses similar abrasive technology (non diminishing) that it would have similar lubricants/oils/carriers/etc. and would not fill too bad either. Obviously my guess was wrong.

PrepWash? Is that the product made by High Temp sold on Top of the Line? It sounds fimiliar. I assume when you use it, you spray it on and wipe it off? Or do you make up a wash bucket and use it as the soap and just wash the car?

I wonder how the A in AutoGuard would work in removing filling?? Any better than Prep Wash? Or not worth the trouble since PrepWash does so well??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    Interesting. My first guess was that since 205 is from the same company and uses similar abrasive technology (non diminishing) that it would have similar lubricants/oils/carriers/etc. and would not fill too bad either. Obviously my guess was wrong...

Yeah, other than having non-diminishing abrasives, I found `em to be very different indeed! But then you know how Meguiar`s can be with those "Trade Secret Oils", and simply leaving them on there and locking them in with an LSP is probably great for most people.

PrepWash? Is that the product made by High Temp sold on Top of the Line? It sounds fimiliar. I assume when you use it, you spray it on and wipe it off? Or do you make up a wash bucket and use it as the soap and just wash the car?

Yeah, that`s the stuff. I usually use it like an IPA-wipe (except with a bit of rinsing usually with a spray bottle of distilled/DI water), but you can use it as a super-shampoo too. But if you do the latter, I`d mix it up pretty strong and also wash conventionally first as PrepWash lacks lubricity.

I wonder how the A in AutoGuard would work in removing filling?? Any better than Prep Wash? Or not worth the trouble since PrepWash does so well??

"A" or FK1119 will do that sort of thing too, but I reserve those for more intense jobs than just removing oils/fillers. I know they`re *supposed* to be safe, but I don`t like using them more than I need to, if only out of concern for plastics and rubber stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m always envious of you folks who can pull a vehicle into the sun for while in mid-detail; I have too many contamination-related issues for than

Well, being in Canuckistan doesn`t exactly lend itself to the mid-sun detail pull out all the time, but on occasion it works.

FP/FPII oils are very easily removed with even heavily diluted isa/water too; that`s part of the reason I like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven`t been here in a while. So are you guys suggesting I DONT finish my polishing with M205 but rather a Menz product such as FP I`m using now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m hesitant to make a broad suggestion like that; but if someone asked me to pick one product to finish with via rotary all the time, and I can`t ever use anything else, I`d probably pick FP just because it seems to fit in most situations, whereas something like 205 (which is fantastic, btw), can do some significant filling, and can be a little too abrasive for some softer paints, ime.

Interestingly, via an orbital like a PCXP, I generally prefer 205.

Post Thanks / Like
    105 + orange foam or wool > #205 or OHP + foam polishing pad > 3M Ultrafina + Ultrafina pad = hologram free finish

As long as you use the proper technique with the rotary and use each product as recommended by the manufacturer, you should remove all possible defect without leaving holograms. I`m seeing cars 1-2 years after using the above polishing steps and not one has had rotary holograms. There isn`t anything I know that fills for that long.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker
    Haven`t been here in a while. So are you guys suggesting I DONT finish my polishing with M205 but rather a Menz product such as FP I`m using now?

No, at least not IMO.

Would a follow-up with the Menzerna make a difference? Possibly, bordering on probably...but that`s just generally speaking and there are tons of variables. And I`m not sure that FP would be the Menzerna product to use for that; I have some old FPI that did *NOT* impress me on my Audis (compared to my 1Z stuff) and thus just sits on the shelf.

If it does, is the diff enough to be worth it? Tougher to say. If you like how it looks without that step, then ignore all this "better than M205!" talk and don`t look for ways to make your life harder

Even though I`m one of the guys posting about this stuff, I do think it borders on more of the Autopian nuttiness that doesn`t have much to do with normal people and real life. It`s not like Meguiar`s is "the brand for people who don`t want ultimate gloss" or anything like that.

Another thing to consider is using something like ZAIO after M205. I did that the last time and I *think* it made for a slight improvement (but hey, I was working on a trashed white car with tons of issues that can`t be corrected so evaluating the gloss between the RIDS is tough :chuckle: ). It certainly did not *diminish* the gloss any and it did the "two birds, one stone" thing on a long detail I was eager to wrap up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the market to buy some polish. I see autopia`s new store has opened (been away for a while) and they do have a combo of Menzerna polishes however it comes with 4. I`d like to keep it no more than three.

I definitely want-

1. SIP

2???

3.P085RD

I need one for number three. Any help please? Both vehicles are black and GM`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you`re going Menz then 106FF/FA would be the step in between you`re missing Striker.
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDetailer
    Since you`re going Menz then 106FF/FA would be the step in between you`re missing Striker.

Thanks a bunch for the response. I found this and it looks like it`s what I need.

Autopia Car Care Store

Let me know what you think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information