Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have really helped a lot (read that totally), I think I have things under (inexperienced) control and would like to run my plan through the forums opinions.

I really wish I had the option of submitting photos but I don`t currently, but will soon!!

However after looking at hundreds of images here and there I have come to the conclusion that (Read your Paint) mine is not that bad, in fact, fairly good!

This is what I intend to do and will keep the forum posted as to my success!

This is a BLACK, Tacoma, TRD, 1999.

I ordered, Klasse AIO, and Klasse SG. I intend to top 3 coats of SG with the S100 Carnuba. This is not my idea but the minds of some of the best detailer on this and other web sites.

I`ll be using the Lake country CCS pads in White and Red.

This is why I came to this determination : The professionals on this web site have said over and over to keep it as simple as possible !! Do as little paint/clear coat removal as you can to get the desired affect! Well I have been listening, reading , driving everyone nuts I suspect!!

So the above is what I came up with! If after this I find something thats not right, Hell, I know where to come to get it right, "Considering", you guys are still hear, LOL!

As usual if you see a hole in my plan, just jump right in. Chances are awesome that you know more than I do on this subject.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    You will want a light swirl remover.

Great Swirl Removers:

Menzerna IP and FPII

Optimum Polish

Zaino ZPC

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    yep I would also add a swirl remover because I think the twins maginify defects

and remeber when you think you have the sg on thin enough it is still way to thick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, one more vote for a mildly abrasive product. And I`d think twice about topping the KSG with wax. These days I just stick with the KSG as I find I can simply reapply it (after a light claying with Sonus green clay if needed), which you can`t do once you put wax on there.

If it were still commonly available, I`d recommend 3M`s PI-III Machine Glaze 05937. That`s my usual pre-Klasse twins product. While discontinued, my local autobody/paint supply place still has it on the shelf. User-friendly by hand and machine, good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy had a black 00 tundra. 3M SMR for Dark Colored Cars was a pain to use, but really did the job. Also Pinnacle advanced swirl remover worked nicely one time too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evidently the group doesn`t feel the Klasse AIO removes enough swirls, is that right?

I really don`t think I need to put the Menzurna IP and the FP II. So I guess I/ll get a swirl remover to. What would be the best swirl remover to use before the Klasse AIO.

It seems a lot of people like the Zaino products, is the ZPC easy to apply (PC724) and compatible with the Klasse AIO?

One other thing, which pad color is recommended with the light swirl remover, with Klasse AIO, then Klasse SG?

Thanks guys, Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO has never removed any marring for me.

If your local autobody/paint supply place doesn`t have the 05937, you could get some of the FPII. IMO it pays to use a polish that doesn`t leave anything behind since the AIO will clean off any fillers anyhow.

Use a soft polishing pad for such stuff, and for the AIO too. If using LC brand pads, that`d mean the white one. For Meguiar`s brand pads, it`d be their 8006.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    AIO has never removed any marring for me.

If your local autobody/paint supply place doesn`t have the 05937, you could get some of the FPII. IMO it pays to use a polish that doesn`t leave anything behind since the AIO will clean off any fillers anyhow.

Use a soft polishing pad for such stuff, and for the AIO too. If using LC brand pads, that`d mean the white one. For Meguiar`s brand pads, it`d be their 8006.

Accumulator, the first thing I noticed about your reply was that you have been a member since 2002! Sir, that gives me a world of confidence in believing what you say, I mean that!!

I have absolutely no idea what 05937 is. Even if I did, in my region they want $20.00 bucks to to "allow" you to talk to them!

If you happen to be in my area think long and hard before you answer that statement, because I visited all the body shops i know of and my questions went something like this.

"You probably should contact your car dealer" or " We don`t deal directly wit the public unless you have an insurance claim"!, "come back when you F*%k it up, Ha, Ha", and my favorite, "information falls under the realm of an estimate", which is $100.00.

So my friend, I think I will take your advise on the Menzerna Fp II !

I want you to know that I really do appreciate you time in answering my questions/problem, thank you.

Changeling

PS. Before I make a mistake, you are recommending using this over the entire truck, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling

PS. Before I make a mistake, you are recommending using this over the entire truck, correct?

Yes.

I have nothing else to add.....

Menzerna + AIO + SG = one good looking truck!

{though personally (because of durability and ease of use) I`d use Zaino instead of Klasse}...
    Proud to be... :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling
    I have absolutely no idea what 05937 is. Even if I did, in my region they want $20.00 bucks to to "allow" you to talk to them!..

So my friend, I think I will take your advise on the Menzerna Fp II !

... Before I make a mistake, you are recommending using this over the entire truck, correct?

Sorry, perhaps I was misunderstood The autobody/paint supply places (they sell to the body shops and to diy-ers) in my area are happy to sell to private individuals. The 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (pn 05937 for the quart size bottle) is something they have sitting on the shelf, they`d be happy to sell it to anyone. But maybe things are different in your area. I`d check the yellow pages and make a call or two, well worth it IMO if you find some of that stuff.

Anyhow, you won`t go wrong with the Menzerna FPII, but it`s pretty mild stuff. Better to err on the gentle side, but see how it works for you. The 3M stuff (the 05937) would still be my first recommendation and you can probably find it online.

Yeah, whichever polish you use, I`d do the whole truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, thanks for clearing it up for. I`ll check the Internet and see what I can get.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, perhaps I was misunderstood The autobody/paint supply places (they sell to the body shops and to diy-ers) in my area are happy to sell to private individuals. The 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (pn 05937 for the quart size bottle) is something they have sitting on the shelf, they`d be happy to sell it to anyone. But maybe things are different in your area. I`d check the yellow pages and make a call or two, well worth it IMO if you find some of that stuff.

Anyhow, you won`t go wrong with the Menzerna FPII, but it`s pretty mild stuff. Better to err on the gentle side, but see how it works for you. The 3M stuff (the 05937) would still be my first recommendation and you can probably find it online.

Yeah, whichever polish you use, I`d do the whole truck.

I searched on-line and found the 3M 05937. The cost was $37.00 (Quart) without delivery cost. In your opinion is this a good price, it seems high to me but I am a no nothing newbie and really do appreciate your advice. I also know nothing about prices for these things!

Let`s just simplify things by saying I don`t know nothing but what I am learning on this web site! Your tenure and experience keeps me coming back to you because I really think you have your **** together!!!!

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    Changeling- Thanks for the kind words, I try to be helpful. Not like I have a monopoly on good advice however

I don`t know from pricing, to be honest I simply don`t pay much attention to the cost of polishes/etc. I know you can get *much* less expensive products (e.g., the Hi-Temp stuff at TOL) but I like the 05937 so much that *I* wouldn`t let the price put *me* off.

But if somebody wanted to say that they`d buy Optimum or Menzerna instead I don`t know if I`d argue.

OK, I gotta flip the coin here huh? I`d get the 05937 while you still can. It`s good stuff IMO and it`s a shame it`s been discontinued. Oughta be a safe, mild yet effective product to start out with.

I`d still check the yellow pages for an autobody/painst supply place and see if you can get it locally. I dunno what my local place would charge for it, but it wouldn`t surprise me to find it cheaper than the $37. A quart of it will last a pretty long time if you don`t waste it.

The *only* caveat I have about the 05937 is that it`s not the most aggressive stuff in the world and you might need something with more cut. But even if that ends up being true, the 05937 would be a great follow-up to such aggressive work and something good to use when you don`t need anything stronger.

Just to *REALLY* complicate matters If I were in your shoes, or actually standing there advising you in person, I`d probably say that a) a black `99 truck will be *very* tough to get perfect enough for the Klasse twins (or Zaino or any other sealant), b) it`s gonna be more work than you expect to make a smaller improvement than you expect (no, that`s not intended to sound discouraging), and c) there are *IMO* better (or at least more newbie-friendly) approaches that`ll give possibly more satisfying results with almost certainly less work.

Given the above, here`s what I`d actually do if I were calling the shots: wash, clay, then 1z Paint Polish topped with Collinite wax. The 1Z is even more user-friendly than the 05937 and/but it leaves waxes/fillers behind so you should follow it with a wax rather than a sealant. Not quite as durable a combo but much more forgiving of any marring that you can`t get out. Sealants show little flaws *so* readily that I only use them on vehicles I can basically get (and keep) perfect. Just more food for thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately/not I had already committed to the Klasse and my order arrived today. So Klasse AIO, SG is the way I will be going. I really wish I had met you earlier but that is the luck of the draw! I had to make a decision and spent a lot of time researching to come to the Klasse conclusion.

I tried 3 places in Frederick Maryland today but couldn`t find any 3M- 05937. They all said the same thing, it was discontinued last year and they had none left. I intend to try a couple more places in Rockville Maryland tomorrow, but it really doesn`t look like I`m going to find it !

That leaves me in the position of going to another product. A lot of people seem to like the Zaino ZPC and the other half seem to lean to wards the Menzerna products.

Zaino advertises that there products don`t contain any fillers, this sounds great to me, because there wouldn`t be any product incompatibility problems to worry about.

As I said before, I know nothing on this subject other than what I can learn from research, like this forum.

So unless I am able to find the 05937 product tomorrow, I`ll probably go with the Zaino ZPC.

I want you to know (ACCUMULATOR) that I have really appreciated your input and sorry that I can`t follow the original plan that you layed out.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    Changeling- Thanks for the kind words, I try to be helpful. Not like I have a monopoly on good advice however

I don`t know from pricing, to be honest I simply don`t pay much attention to the cost of polishes/etc. I know you can get *much* less expensive products (e.g., the Hi-Temp stuff at TOL) but I like the 05937 so much that *I* wouldn`t let the price put *me* off.

But if somebody wanted to say that they`d buy Optimum or Menzerna instead I don`t know if I`d argue.

OK, I gotta flip the coin here huh? I`d get the 05937 while you still can. It`s good stuff IMO and it`s a shame it`s been discontinued. Oughta be a safe, mild yet effective product to start out with.

I`d still check the yellow pages for an autobody/painst supply place and see if you can get it locally. I dunno what my local place would charge for it, but it wouldn`t surprise me to find it cheaper than the $37. A quart of it will last a pretty long time if you don`t waste it.

The *only* caveat I have about the 05937 is that it`s not the most aggressive stuff in the world and you might need something with more cut. But even if that ends up being true, the 05937 would be a great follow-up to such aggressive work and something good to use when you don`t need anything stronger.

Just to *REALLY* complicate matters If I were in your shoes, or actually standing there advising you in person, I`d probably say that a) a black `99 truck will be *very* tough to get perfect enough for the Klasse twins (or Zaino or any other sealant), b) it`s gonna be more work than you expect to make a smaller improvement than you expect (no, that`s not intended to sound discouraging), and c) there are *IMO* better (or at least more newbie-friendly) approaches that`ll give possibly more satisfying results with almost certainly less work.

Given the above, here`s what I`d actually do if I were calling the shots: wash, clay, then 1z Paint Polish topped with Collinite wax. The 1Z is even more user-friendly than the 05937 and/but it leaves waxes/fillers behind so you should follow it with a wax rather than a sealant. Not quite as durable a combo but much more forgiving of any marring that you can`t get out. Sealants show little flaws *so* readily that I only use them on vehicles I can basically get (and keep) perfect. Just more food for thought...

Accumulator, I found the "05937", problem is it`s a gallon jug! So I have more questions if you don`t mind. They said they would hold it till Wednesday for me (20 Dec 06).

Most articles I have read on this forum call for the polishing of your paint 2 times a year, Is the 05937 ok with this frequency of use?

Can you go right from the polishing to the sealent/wax stage?

Could I use it to polish glass or anything else? I am trying to justify buying the whole gallon, hope you understand.

Is there a shelf life for this product?

I really appreciate your hanging with me through this learning curve. :xyxthumbs

Changeling

I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information