Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Like subject says, what are the thoughts on using vertical polishers like one in link below as "rotary"?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...et&tag=PV7001C

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it`d be awkward IMO. I wouldn`t like having to hold it in that manner, certainly not when working on horizontal panels. Yuck, makes me appreciate my Cyclos even more.

People have tried "polishing attachments" on electric drills and found them to be very user-unfriendly, this looks like a variation of that system.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure looks like a drill with polishing attachment :LOLOL

However, I would think it is still different enough, looking how they concentrated weight on plate and where center of the weight is, putting handles there to position/guide while drills are designed to apply pressure through handle.

I`m not sure would it be awkward or opposite of it though. For the vertical surfaces it would seem as more natural way than "regular" rotary, but then I didn`t work with one so I could be easily way off. On the horizontal surfaces I definitely am not sure. I visualize it as not using thread-in handle, instead taking it out and using left hand around top of the body to guide it, while using main handle pointed toward right to also hold, guide, angle and turn power on/off.

Also, question is would this be "strong enough" and have appropriate "power band" to do same job as rotary? It`s 7", but 600-1200RPM. When using rotary is more than 1200rpm needed and when? Is less than 600 needed and when?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    at 4.4 lbs it would probably be easy to use. 1200 rpm would probably be sufficient for most clears

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d love one to go with my traditional 9227.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that it would be too easy to put pressure at an improper angle that could cause problems or do harm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    I would think that it would be too easy to put pressure at an improper angle that could cause problems or do harm.
    I too was wondering about that. But then doesn`t same hold true for "normal" rotaries?

Even more, wouldn`t it be easier on "normal" rotaries to end up with improper angle than on this one because of how weight is distributed on them (center of weight farther away from spindle`s axis, longer handle)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t use a rotary, so I can`t say. And I would have to see this thing next to a rotary to say for sure, but looking at the picture it looks like your hands would be further from the surface of the car than with a rotary. So that would make it a lot easier to tip the thing at an angle unintentionally. Plus it doesn`t have as good of a surface to put your hand at the top like you can with a PC or rotary which makes it more awkward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    And I would have to see this thing next to a rotary to say for sure, but looking at the picture it looks like your hands would be further from the surface of the car than with a rotary. So that would make it a lot easier to tip the thing at an angle unintentionally.
    Hmmmm, I see what you mean. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    The side handle oughta help with how pressure is applied (I`ve done a fair bit of work with large drills with side handles) and yeah, I can see it being good for vertical panels. But I sure like the sense of control I have, with a conventional rotary, with my one hand on the top of the housing right above the spindle.

I bet this will be another of those personal preference things, where some people just love it and others think it`s awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    The side handle oughta help with how pressure is applied (I`ve done a fair bit of work with large drills with side handles) and yeah, I can see it being good for vertical panels. But I sure like the sense of control I have, with a conventional rotary, with my one hand on the top of the housing right above the spindle.
    I see your point about better sense of control if hand is held right above the spindle with conventional rotaries on horizontal panels. Do you think same would hold true even for vertical panels or that Makita`s design might have an edge there (no pun intended)?

Post Thanks / Like
    ZoranC- I dunno... I position myself so that things seem comfortable when I`m working the vertical panels and I`m used to using machines of the conventional configuration (and familiarity goes a *long* way). If the vertical model works better for those panels I guess it wouldn`t surprise me, but without having actually tried it (and enough to get accustomed to it) I can`t really say :nixweiss

My knee-jerk reaction is still that I probably wouldn`t like it, but when it comes to vertical panels maybe I`ll moderate that opinion a bit, with more of an emphasis on the "probably".

I guess it makes sense that one orientation is best for working horizontal panels and the other is better for working vertical ones. Heh heh, I might oughta watch that I don`t get *too* open-minded about this thing or I`ll end up getting one

I think PercynJapan is getting/has gotten one of the vertical polishers...I sure respect his opinion on things so maybe he`ll enlighten us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, I might oughta watch that I don`t get *too* open-minded about this thing or I`ll end up getting one
    Well, that is also playing part in my curiosity. I guess part of me is in the toy getting mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are true rotaries and are not a drill with a backplate attachment.

Look at this pic of it in action:

Post Thanks / Like
    nice research there lancer . . . . thats puts to rest some speculation . .
    "Nice wax job rook!" . . . . - Ramathorn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information