Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Burns

Post Thanks / Like
    I brought my car to the lot to trade in the other day and noticed at dusk I had some dull spots in the paint that were from the PC.

I don`t want to make the same mistake on the paint on my new Cadillac so I want to iron this out before I work on it this weekend.

My other car was dark blue just as this is. In bright light it looked great but I caught it at the right angle the other day and was not happy with the dull spots there that were PC induced.

I used SSR2.5 and a yellow, not all the webbing came out on the only pass I did but the pad did manage to do this to the paint. So I didn`t overdo the PC. Did I use too little SSR? It covered the entire area, the only thing I didn`t do was go over it with a lighter pad. Do you guys think this caused it?

Maybe sqitch polishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    i think the yellow cutting pad and ssr 2.5 should be expected to leave some marring?

probably need to follow up with a 2nd polishing step a less aggressive combo

Post Thanks / Like
    yep, ssr 2.5 and a yellow pad is not going to cut it as a final polish. It will take out lots of imperfections but you`ll have to follow up with a less-agressive polish. ssr 2.5 and a white pad might even cut it for a final step, at least that`s what some say.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what I am seeing is just marring and nothing more? Just kick it down to a soft pad and less agressive polish? Can anyone recomment something they like better than the SSRs?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve tried optimum polish, and found it to be a great product. didn`t notice any dusting and buffed of pretty easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish
    So what I am seeing is just marring and nothing more? Just kick it down to a soft pad and less agressive polish? Can anyone recomment something they like better than the SSRs?
    menzerna hands down

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the hardness of the clear coat, I have used a PC, Yellow LC pad and SSR2.5 on a 98 black ford explorer and didnt get any haze. I just went straight to hand wax. On the other hand, I did have to use a follow up polish on an 05 dark Nissan Altima when using the same combo.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    it`s all a matter of the paint.

what polishes do you have on hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just have the SSRs right now. I can most likley get my hands on some 3M over the weekend. If I want Medernza, I will have to order it online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the SSR`s but drop to a lesser pad (polishing). If you have SSR1, use it after the 2.5, but also with a polishing pad. It will finish out very nicely with no marring issues.

3M Perfect IT III is also great stuff. Use it with an orange pad (LC) on a PC speed 6. You will have no marring and it leaves a perfect finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    How come the 3M will not leaving marring with a harsh pad? Isn`t it the pad hat does the marring? If thats not the case why bother with SSR? I can just use the 3M.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3M products are meant to be used with a rotary and have more oils in them, therefore, you can use the aggressive pad with the PC and have the product finish well.

PC, speed 6, LC orange pad, 3M Perfect IT III

The SSR`s generally have a much shorter working time and yield the same results faster because they were meant to be used with a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are (or perhaps I should say "were" ) a number of PI-III products.

I`m very familiar with two of them, the RC 05933 and the MG 05937. Familiar as in, I`ve used gallons of each on everything from old single stage to Audi clearcoats. I`m less familiar with other PI-III products, but I have used some of them.

The RC 05933 will leave an *almost* ready-to-wax finish if used with the right pad. Might be good enough for some people but it`s not good enough for me. If you think it`s perfect, get out some magnification

The MG 05937 will leave a ready-to-wax finish but it can often be further improved by using even milder products after it.

Note that these products do not appear to leave anything behind. I`ve never had *any* bonding issues with subsequently applied products and I`ve never had any marring reappear after doing something that`d remove any fillers.

I`m still using these two products for almost all my correction, but you gotta stockpile them as they`ve been out of production for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like
    SO if I use the 3M products, I need to work them in a lot longer than the SSR 2.5?

Post Thanks / Like
    PC, SPD 6, LC yellow cutting pad or durastrand yellow cutting pad, SSR 2.5, ~ 15lbs of pressure... no marring for me... hmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information