View Poll Results: good idea or bad idea?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a good idea and I would be up for this challange

6 10.53%
  • Yes, this is a good idea but I would not be up for the challange

3 5.26%
  • No, this is a bad idea and I would not be up for this challange

2 3.51%
  • I really don`t care!!

13 22.81%
  • Respect for other members opinions makes DC great.

33 57.89%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the best detailers.... Shout Out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    can`t get enough sarcasm with those
    Were I think that your opinion about this idea being stupid (your words) is somewhat valid. I see this more of a educational / sponsored event.

Meaning that the sponsors would promote there lines and do the advertising of the event. It would be to draw new people in and teach about detailing, sell product really, and then a show cases of professional and amateurs in a mocked up (my words) competition of detailing

As for the best of the best sure it would be hard to find two cars that are identical in condition, but for competition purposes they don`t have to be really, meaning the judging is bench marked against original and finished condition. The panel of judges would be the ones to select the cars for competition so to level the playing field. This would be for paint correction only, unless you broke it down to exterior and interior competition.

All that said do I think I need or want the recognition of being the best detailer? In Sonoma County YES! why? because of the local visibility it would bring me, on a national level for me no but if I had a fixed location and was full time yes!

What would it mean? that I have bragging rights and a fancy award that I could hang on the wall. It could also bring national awareness of your talent. I`m sure that Autoweek article brought that to those top 9 detailers ..look how many jumped on me about questioning this guy about a 16 hour detail. One would think that I had smacked the higher power in the face

Lastly the event would be fun IMO again from education and being around like minded people.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I am all for it, seems like a great idea, and yes fun and educational. Isnt that why we are all here to enjoy our jobs, and share information with each other. I cannot see not supporting any event or opportunity to do so, so count me in! Heck we will even sponsor the products, PM me with your ideas and we will put something together for detail fest. I would love to see some cars in bad shape that owners have given up on, then you guys bring them back to life!

Post Thanks / Like

I just see too many wins in doing something like this. Anything that brings a greater appreciation to the niche market quality detailer`s work in is a good thing. Anything that brings a little more recognition to quality products is good for the business. Putting the names of quality manufacturer`s in front of the masses, opens eyes and the wallets of new customers. Steve, I respect your opinion but I don`t see your point. The only thing I see here that is "stupid" is watching someone else pick up customers that quality business owners need for themselves. Exposure is good.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meghan@autogeek View Post
    I am all for it, seems like a great idea, and yes fun and educational. Isnt that why we are all here to enjoy our jobs, and share information with each other. I cannot see not supporting any event or opportunity to do so, so count me in! Heck we will even sponsor the products, PM me with your ideas and we will put something together for detail fest. I would love to see some cars in bad shape that owners have given up on, then you guys bring them back to life!
    Megan,

Its great that AG would want to sponsor something like this, but your motivation is from selling products and increasing your market gain...Not that its a bad thing but your a tad over zealous about the sponsor thing, you`ve mentioned if twice in this thread

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I just see too many wins in doing something like this. Anything that brings a greater appreciation to the niche market quality detailer`s work in is a good thing. Anything that brings a little more recognition to quality products is good for the business. Putting the names of quality manufacturer`s in front of the masses, opens eyes and the wallets of new customers. Steve, I respect your opinion but I don`t see your point. The only thing I see here that is "stupid" is watching someone else pick up customers that quality business owners need for themselves. Exposure is good.

ranking and ratings are too subjective to be judged ... who would say who could be in it and who could not? would everyone be invited ... what would be the process of elimination? can you remove a swirl or scratch? would everyone be using the same products? same pads? same machines? would all cars have the same paint? made on the same day?
    too many variables !!!

ok maybe the word stupid is too harsh ... and yes exposure is good but to make it a competition, have ratings?
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Megan,

Its great that AG would want to sponsor something like this, but your motivation is from selling products and increasing your market gain...Not that its a bad thing but your a tad over zealous about the sponsor thing, you`ve mentioned if twice in this thread
    And that`s a bad thing? You`ve got an industry leader stepping up to the plate from the get go. Unless you know someone who is willing to go out and get the big names why in the world would you not want an AutoGeek to get involved? They have the connections and staying power to make something like this meaningful. That doesn`t mean they are the only ones that could pull this off but having them involved is another win.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

And that`s a bad thing? You`ve got an industry leader stepping up to the plate from the get go. Unless you know someone who is willing to go out and get the big names why in the world would you not want an AutoGeek to get involved? They have the connections and staying power to make something like this meaningful. That doesn`t mean they are the only ones that could pull this off but having them involved is another win.
    GH...I said a tad over zealous and I was busting her on it was all

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

ranking and ratings are too subjective to be judged ... who would say who could be in it and who could not? would everyone be invited ... what would be the process of elimination? can you remove a swirl or scratch? would everyone be using the same products? same pads? same machines? would all cars have the same paint? made on the same day?
    too many variables !!!

ok maybe the word stupid is too harsh ... and yes exposure is good but to make it a competition, have ratings?
    Nothing you`ve asked couldn`t be resolved in a few meetings by the sponsors. Could be evaluated on many criteria including the time it took to get the finished product. Every car show ever held has a winner that had the subjective opinion of the judges but people flock to put their cars in these shows. Ratings is not a great word and obviously "ratings or rankings" to use your words, isn`t what would be judged. It`s the finished product that matters. This would be a contest. Contests have winners, those who placed and losers.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    GH...I said a tad over zealous and I was busting her on it was all
    Over zealous about detailing... me??? Never! But I got a few PM`s asking if we would consider helping out with this and yes we would.... well thats if anyone wants to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meghan@autogeek View Post
    Over zealous about detailing... me??? Never! But I got a few PM`s asking if we would consider helping out with this and yes we would.... well thats if anyone wants to do it.
    The biggest issue I think is location, meaning what part of the country. The detail fest that you guy sponsor I would be there in a heart beat but not at the expense of flying across the country..I don`t have that kind of budget..so location, location, location will be the real issue.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing you`ve asked couldn`t be resolved in a few meetings by the sponsors. Could be evaluated on many criteria including the time it took to get the finished product. Every car show ever held has a winner that had the subjective opinion of the judges but people flock to put their cars in these shows. Ratings is not a great word and obviously "ratings or rankings" to use your words, isn`t what would be judged. It`s the finished product that matters. This would be a contest. Contests have winners, those who placed and losers.

I`ll be a judge if you don`t use Poorboy`s products you lose

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought your posts to this point indicated you didn`t want any part of this, silly me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

If I use Poorboy`s products will you fly me in?

I won`t win or place, but I would love to show(up).

Actually, it`s an interesting idea, but:
    1. It ain`t likely to happen
    2. It wouldn`t really prove anything if it did

As far as high dollar detailers, are they worth it?
    Obviously they are to somebody.

I do think that one thing being overlooked in the question about time, is the fact that most true craftsman do their work without a lot of consideration for the time required. If it takes them longer than someone else, then so be it.

As for me, the only 2 or 3 hour job I ever did, I asked the guy I did it for to not tell anyone I did it.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought your posts to this point indicated you didn`t want any part of this, silly me.
    me miss all the fun I`ll be at DF anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    If I use Poorboy`s products will you fly me in?

I won`t win or place, but I would love to show(up).

Actually, it`s an interesting idea, but:
    1. It ain`t likely to happen
    2. It wouldn`t really prove anything if it did

As far as high dollar detailers, are they worth it?
    Obviously they are to somebody.

I do think that one thing being overlooked in the question about time, is the fact that most true craftsman do their work without a lot of consideration for the time required. If it takes them longer than someone else, then so be it.

As for me, the only 2 or 3 hour job I ever did, I asked the guy I did it for to not tell anyone I did it.
    sure Charles First Class ok ? i`ll put it on my calendar yes time would be a problem for some but no for Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The I don`t cares have it so far

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information