Thread: Peak Oil

Post Thanks / Like
    I only became aware of peak oil May of this year. But since then have been tracking oil production and devouring all the information I can find related to this issue.

If you`re unfamiliar with peak oil, here`s the Wiki page: Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With oil now over $90/barrel, world production flat for about three years, and the Energy Watch Group`s recent report coming out claiming we peaked in 2006, I`m getting more concerned this has already happened or will happen soon.

Hopefully they`re wrong and we still have some good years left. Regardless, just about everyone involved in oil agrees we will peak, they just don`t agree on the when.

Here`s an article summarizing the EWG`s recent report: Steep decline in oil production brings risk of war and unrest, says new study | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

And a video discussing the recent report: YouTube - Inside Story- Oil Production- 23 Oct 07- Part 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this whacky conspiracy theory that there have been some awesome energy alternatives invented, but Exxon Mobil has a squad of assassins that go out and kill anyone that is able to create something that would make fossil fuels not as valuable. I figure if they can pull in revenues of $80 Bil. +, they can afford to kill people and get away with it.

That said, if oil runs out, so be it. For the roughly $80/month I pay in gas, I can buy a new pair of shoes every month and just walk everywhere.

People got around fine before cars were so popular. It might even help the obesity epidemic.
    Will

Thread Information