Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone. I`m hoping you guys can help me with something. My parents have been working their tails off since Hurricane Katrina rebuilding everything they`ve lost, and they have done more for me than I could ever imagine. Where most people would have given up, they faced the challenge head on, and muscled through it. Well, since the hurricane, I have been on a few small vacations of my own, and they haven`t been on one. Now that the heat of the summer has finally set in (100+ degree heat indexes), they are really starting to wear down.

One thing they do for themselves once every week is go to dinner somewhere nice, and have a bottle of wine. They are into theater, and opera, but there really isn`t much going on right now here in New Orleans, so other than dining, there really isn`t much to do to "get away".

They have mentioned on numerous occassions that they would love to visit wine country and tour a few of their favorite wineries (Caymus, Beringer, etc.) Since I can`t afford to send them to Europe, I`d like to put a weekend trip together and send them to Napa Valley.

The problem is, I am as familiar with California as a fish would be in a desert.

I found a website called www.napavalley.com and poked around on there for a while, but there are so many choices, it`s hard to decifer the tourist traps from the really nice stuff.

Have any of you guys been on a tour of Napa Valley? Where is the best area to stay? Specific hotels? How about tours? Any one better than the other?

I mentioned to them that I might be doing this, and of course, they told me it wasn`t necessary, but I can tell that they are quietly very excited about it.

If anyone has any specific info on this type of vacation, I`d really appreciate the help.

In case it matters, they will be looking to go some time in July, a Thurs. - Sun., any weekend.

Thank you all ahead of time for your help. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to go to Napa a lot (about 10 years ago), and part of my wife`s and my honeymoon was spent at Napa. We prefer the "off the beaten path", so this may not be what you`re looking for, but there is a great bed and breakfast (Calistoga Inn, 100+ yrs old) about 1/2 hour north of Napa (in Calistoga) that was very "charming" and relatively inexpensive. The added benefit is that there are thermal springs and a great spa in the area also. Just a short drive south to the wineries (opposite of the traffic flow coming from the populous south) which makes for a good opportunity to see some of the less traveled parts of Napa/Sonoma.

The only caveat is that things may have changed in the last several years (I haven`t been back recently), so you may want to check around.

HTH!

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are from New Orleans - you should appreciate fine French cuisine.

For a starter, take them to the French Laundry in Napa - probably have to sell your

first born to finance the meal, though.

Generally, we do day trip to Napa. I vaguely remember having lunch at Domaine Chandon once - not bad. Mustards Grill In St. Helena is pretty good, too.

My company sponsored us on the wine train once. Not too bad - perhaps it is too touristy.

I have stayed in the bungalow at Indian Springs Resort Spa in Calistoga. They have an olympic-size hotspring-fed pool. It was very nice. Their spa is great too (mud bath, if you are into that kind of thing). However, it is summer now. Perhaps it is too hot for that kind of thing.

Perhaps, you should also consider Sonoma. It is a bit less touristy than Napa.

Do your parents bike? Perhaps that is another alternative. Biking in Napa is nice (it is very hot in summer, though).

Try this site: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=ove

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonics
    I used to go to Napa a lot (about 10 years ago), and part of my wife`s and my honeymoon was spent at Napa. We prefer the "off the beaten path", so this may not be what you`re looking for, but there is a great bed and breakfast (Calistoga Inn, 100+ yrs old) about 1/2 hour north of Napa (in Calistoga) that was very "charming" and relatively inexpensive. The added benefit is that there are thermal springs and a great spa in the area also. Just a short drive south to the wineries (opposite of the traffic flow coming from the populous south) which makes for a good opportunity to see some of the less traveled parts of Napa/Sonoma.

The only caveat is that things may have changed in the last several years (I haven`t been back recently), so you may want to check around.

HTH!

I would second the vote for the Calistoga bed and breakfast. the food in town was awesome. you can also take a balloon ride over the valley, for something cool. the views were something to see. my wife and I started our honeymoon there and would love to go back some day. just my thoughts on the area. it sure is a quaint little town :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Some great info guys, thank you all so much. I`m going to let some more suggestions roll in before I make any final decisions.

Thread Information