Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

HID vs LED vs Halogen?

Hey guys.. Im looking to change the headlights and fog lights on my new-to-me 2011 GMC sierra. I have very VERY limited knowledge when it comes to lighting - especially HID and LED in terms of what is best. I understand that different temperature produces different colors in HID, and there are "higher end" halogen bulbs.

Im somewhat curious about LED as that is where high end vehicles are going (check out this new headlight Mercedes is using in their E class for 2017 which is all LED).. pretty cool.

My plans are to either go to HID or LED. everything I have seen says LED is very blinding and does not throw the light as far are HID lights.

I plan on tinting my taillights (not too dark), and using LEDs for those to provide extra brightness. I also plan on having a brake light bar under the tailgate just to be safe.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks guys!
    Likes SouthPawCO liked this post
    Dislikes SouthPawCO disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HID vs LED vs Halogen?

gret- Note that many "HID conversions" don`t take the design of the reflector into consideration, resulting in minimal functional improvement in what the driver sees and lots of irritation for oncoming motorists.

FWIW I`m not a fan of tinting tail/brake lights, if only because even with the brighter bulbs (and the additional light bar) it could leave one open to lawsuits in the event of an accident. And LEOs might be more inclined to pull you over (that`s happened to guys I know with dark *OE* tails).

Something I know nothign about- will the OE wiring support the LED conversion? I know you have to go about it right for flashers/etc. to work properly and some types of lighting don`t instantly provide full illumination as they have to, uhm..."warm up" for a moment. Heh heh, I might not trust a vendor to provide reliable info on that account

Does the Sierra have, or if not might it benefit from, a good system for sending full voltage to the headlights? Just wondering as converting my Crown Vics over to a relayed harness (which ups the voltage from the OE ~8v to full ~12 battery voltage) makes an incredible diff.

There`s a guy on the `net named Daniel Stern who has good info on lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is to keep OEM type bulbs and housing. If you want more light look at adding auxiliary LED lighting. Rigid makes some of the best LED lighting. Accumulator nailed it when he talked about aftermarket reflector design. Very rarely are the aftermarket headlamps as functional at projecting light.

The 2014 Chevy Tahoe I drive for work has one of the best set of headlamps I`ve ever used. I`m guessing your 2011 Sierra is similarly well designed, headlamps are a little different from Tahoe, I know.
    Likes gret liked this post
    Thanks gret thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Something I know nothign about- will the OE wiring support the LED conversion? I know you have to go about it right for flashers/etc. to work properly and some types of lighting don`t instantly provide full illumination as they have to, uhm..."warm up" for a moment. Heh heh, I might not trust a vendor to provide reliable info on that account
    Just speaking to this one point since I really am not a lighting person and know very little about halogens, etc.

Now, the "problem" with LED conversions isn`t the factory harness being able to support them. The problem lies in the factory system failsafes. LED bulbs use quite a bit less voltage and draw a lot less power than conventional incandescents. The modifications that you are referring to are adding resistors into the wiring so that the vehicle thinks the factory bulb is still there. Failure to use a resistor (or a new flasher relay for turns/4-ways) results in a dash light on most modern vehicles. You know, that fun light that tells you when a light is out but never seems to pick up the frequently blown bulbs. Not installing the resistor/relay in turn signals results in rapidly flashing turns, again, your car trying to tell you a light is out.

You can now find LED bulbs specifically for automotive use that are labeled with the same (or close to it) number as the traditional incandescent they`re meant to replace. Some of these actually already have the needed resistors to mimic the draw of the bulb it is intended to replace. Those are truly a plug and play bulb.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the new LED lights but am very interested in finding out for myself how well they light up a dark road, compared to some really good light bulb replacements for your standard lights..

The last few vehicles I have owned had HID`s from the factory and they put out a really bright, white light which is really important if you drive a lot at night in mountain passes, etc, bad weather, etc...

I can see nothing wrong with HID`s from BMW`s I have owned and now my 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee which has HID Low Beams and Halogen High Beams..

I have been experimenting with standard halogen light Bulb replacements for decades and they have come a long way..

The Bulbs I have ever found and personally used for vehicles that do not have HID`s already, are made by PIAA, out of Oregon..

They really use great technology and none of their lights have that lame/cheapo BLUE LOOK, that actually puts out LESS light than stock lights...

All PIAA light bulbs are DOT approved and since you are not changing the reflector of the light and just the bulb, you dont have to worry about blinding anyone - except a dang deer or something out in the road.. But - you will be able to spot It from a lot farther away because these bulbs really give you as about as good as you can get without going to HID...

It has always been with lights - the bigger the reflector and lens are, the MORE light you get down the road in front of you..
    If you look at Rallye Car lights, they are all big lens lights for a reason..

What I did with my `09 Grand Cherokee is to not touch the Low Beam HID`s which work really great, but change out the bulbs on the High Beams to a brighter white PIAA bulbs..

And while I was at this, I also changed out the Big Lens Fog Light Bulbs to a more powerful whiter PIAA bulbs...

Until I get down to see how LED`s really work at night in total darkness, I will have nothing to offer about them..
    They do look very cool - but are they just another pretty face or what ??
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have no experience with the new LED lights but am very interested in finding out for myself how well they light up a dark road, compared to some really good light bulb replacements for your standard lights..

The last few vehicles I have owned had HID`s from the factory and they put out a really bright, white light which is really important if you drive a lot at night in mountain passes, etc, bad weather, etc...

I can see nothing wrong with HID`s from BMW`s I have owned and now my 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee which has HID Low Beams and Halogen High Beams..

I have been experimenting with standard halogen light Bulb replacements for decades and they have come a long way..

The Bulbs I have ever found and personally used for vehicles that do not have HID`s already, are made by PIAA, out of Oregon..

They really use great technology and none of their lights have that lame/cheapo BLUE LOOK, that actually puts out LESS light than stock lights...

All PIAA lights are DOT approved and since you are not changing the reflector of the light and just the bulb, you dont have to worry about blinding anyone - except a dang deer or something out in the road.. But - you will be able to spot It from a lot farther away because these bulbs really give you as about as good as you can get without going to HID...

It has always been with lights - the bigger the reflector and lens are, the MORE light you get down the road in front of you..
    If you look at Rallye Car lights, they are all big lens lights for a reason..

What I did with my `09 Grand Cherokee is to not touch the Low Beam HID`s which work really great, but change out the bulbs on the High Beams to a brighter white PIAA bulbs..

And while I was at this, I also changed out the Big Lens Fog Light Bulbs to a more powerful whiter PIAA bulbs...

Until I get down to see how LED`s really work at night in total darkness, I will have nothing to offer about them..
    They do look very cool - but are they just another pretty face or what ??
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Well, I have not put LED headlamps in any of my cars yet. I can say I replaced my dome/map lights with LED bulbs and man those suckers are bright.

My brother put LED replacement bulbs in his headlights though and there is a major improvement. They used to be just as bright/dim as mine but now there is no comparison. (My 05 Silverado vs. his 07 Silverado Classic. Same headlight assembly, same bulbs.). I have driven his through the country roads to his house at night and I really want to upgrade mine. I do more city driving though so, if I upgrade it won`t be until I need new bulbs.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest thing to remember is there is nothing wrong with an HID or LED headlight swap but.....

THEY MUST BE IN A PROJECTOR HOUSING!!

Don`t be that guy that just puts HIDS in a stock reflector housing. You won`t be happy with the light output and you will blind people.

what you really need is a retro fit kit for your truck and don`t skimp on price because you will pay for it down the road. Spend the money and get something nice.

My personal opinion is HIDS still have an edge over LEDS for headlights unless they come from the factory with leds.
    Also don`t go above 5000k for color it won`t be brighter just more blue.

As far as signal and break lights go to superbright leds and type in your make and model and they will have all your replacement leds you need.

You will probably need a new flasher relay otherwise your signals will hyper flash. Due to leds drawing such little power the bulb socket doesn`t realize that a light is even there so it will flash like a burned out bulb.

I did my old 98 Tahoe with all leds. Came out great!

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, SIERRACOLE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been trying to figure out how to change the "Angel eyes" on my BMW to a brighter light. Good thread, I hope others chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend you look into a projector retrofit set up if you want to go HIDs. That would be the ideal way so that you don`t blind oncoming traffic.

Aftermarket LED headlights don`t seem to provide a lot of output compared to a projector retrofit.

With halogens, look into the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs. Those are some of the best bulbs on the market.

I am not sure what the foglight bulb set up looks like on this model.

With regards to LED`s in other housings, I am a sucker for LED lighting upgrades. They do require less amps and will need either a flasher module or load resistors. Most newer vehicles tend to have the flasher operation controlled by the vehicles computer. So a load resistor is the way to remedy that so that hyper flashing is avoided.

I just recently swapped out every halogen bulb on the exterior of my Camaro for LED`s. For this car I was able to swap out both flasher modules for LED flasher modules. This car has 2 (one for the turns and one for the hazards). Doing this allowed the flashing to operate like factory bulbs.

I purchase all of my LED`s from Diode Dynamics. I went with the brightest available bulbs they offer in the XP80`s. Here are some examples of how they look. These are photos during the day.

Brake lights

Goo comparison here. LED on the right and halogen on the right.

I swapped out the fronts as well

I like the instant on feature of the LED`s and the crisper/truer color they offer.

I also swapped out all of the exterior bulbs on my Grand Prix to LED`s. I had to use a load resistor for this one.

Here are the reverse lights swapped out to brighter LED`s.

My brother has the same set up as I do.

The turn signals are the second brightest bulbs that is offered through diode dynamics.

LED on the bottom

3rd brake light swapped out as well. LED on the bottom

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes gret, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just use PIAA halogens. It`s the easiest and it is the type of bulb your headlight housing was designed for. I used them on my Civic and the difference was amazing. Not once did I even feel inclined to use my high beams even on dark, unlit roads.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

for fog lights got with halogen you want something in the 3000k range
    for head lights, HIDS are brighter, but brighter doesnt equate to better viewing distance
    if going HIDs get something in thre 4300-5000k range

I favor the LED projectors as they seem to have a better focused pattern and cutoff
    the beam isnt scattered nor does it glare oncomming like hids
    Likes SIERRACOLE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the OPT7`s for both my high beam/DRL and low beams in my Accord. Pretty happy with them for the price. I did just have a ballast die on me, working on getting a warranty replacement sent.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I`ve been trying to figure out how to change the "Angel eyes" on my BMW to a brighter light. Good thread, I hope others chime in.
    They used to sell updated Angel Eyes kits for Bimmers... I saw them on Ebay I believe...
    Or get on a Bimmer Forum and ask around?
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I was looking into retrofitting but i lack the time and the know how.. (more lacking the know how. Ill just use time as my excuse ) I have been looking into aftermarket housings that have a projector but aftermarket housings tend to suck dont they?

Post Thanks / Like

gret- Some guys are turning out *VERY* high-quality aftermarket projector setups, the trick will be finding one of those guys amongst all the not-so-good vendors out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information