Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok first off i have no garage to wash my 2001 Honda CRV in. I cant do it in the drive way as i will make a undrivable ice rink. Am in Buffalo NY. I have a couple of choices and wanted to know which you guys think is best or least damaging. My car has 1 coat of Klasse All in One and 3 coats of the Sealant Glaze.

My choices are a ::

1) hand operated wash place with spray wand were you spray the soapy water on and rinse off.

2) Mobil touchless car wash the one at the Mobil gas station, never been through it my self but a freind says its good.

3) Delta Sonic car wash, one of those drive in kinds that drag your car through on tracks while you whatch them brushes "clean" your car, gulp!

I dont really have any other choices in snow land. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU DO???

Post Thanks / Like
    Move South!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d prefer #1, but #2 or #3 would be better than road gunk and salt caked on the car waiting for someone to brush against and (ie grind) it into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I would go with number one for starters. You have more control, and you can stop the wash if you see something that you don`t like.

If not that, I would then try the Mobil wash. I have used it once or twice before. It is not too bad, but you run the risk of scratching your wheels, along with the fact that they use recycled water. So if there is any grit in the water, guess what, you have a sand blaster on your hands.

Good luck. I have been dealing with the same problems here in Maryland (probably not quite as cold).

Best regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would still prefer to do it by hand with a nice chenille mitt, but if I had no other option I would go with #1. I would stay away from places that use brushes to clean your car......swirl city.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with #1 and if you don`t like their soap (I don`t) use only water to rinse your car and bring your own bucket with your favorite shampoo and luke warm water (resealable paint bucket works well) and hand wash it. It may sound crazy to hand wash it, but it is your safest way to get rid of winter dirt.

#2 will be your next and probably last choice.

Forget #3 unless you plan to practice scratch and swirl removal on your car next spring.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good posts. I think F1Crazy nailed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys i kinda figured that the hand operated one would be best now my only problems is going there when there arent 10 cars behind me waiting to use the stall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dayum I just noticed Buffalo ... get any snow??? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you in Buffalo! We got our city plows down there helping you guys out right now. And to think that I`m less than 1 hour north from you and we don`t even have a dusting of snow. Its cold, but absolutely no snow!

Washing a car in the cold really does suck, although I would head out and do it by hand in your driveway on any day that gets above freezing. Yes, your neighbours will look at you like you`re crazy, but its the safest way. I think I may try to get out there today, as its a few degrees above freezing.... I`ve become somewhat of a regular at the local touchless wash, although I`m sure the water is recycled. Nothing else I can do really, as there isn`t a self washing place around here, and when its below freezing its almost impossible to wash in my driveway!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    they got Candian snow plow helping Buffalo out? very cool :up

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were you, I would go to the touchless wash. I went for the second time yesterday with my bimmer, and the Klasse SG is still there. You know how I know? Because I still have the haze. Going to a coin-op place, even in barely above freezing weather is not practical. You`ll get sick. It`s easy for people down south to recco something like that, but until they have actually done it, they`ll never know how horrible it is. And you can`t exactly take your time at those places. Rushing = swirls.

As for touchless washes using recycled water: Some do, some don`t. Esso (Exxon and Mobil in the USA) in my area uses fresh water at thier soft cloth wash, so I`d imagine that their touchless would be the same. The one I`m going to now (Sunoco) uses fresh water also.

Touchless washes are the best compromise for nasty winter weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in about the same situation. But don`t the hand operated wash places use very warm (or hot) water? What does this do to the wax and paint job?

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by dc9mm [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>My car has 1 coat of Klasse All in One and 3 coats of the Sealant Glaze.

1) hand operated wash place with spray wand were you spray the soapy water on and rinse off.

I dont really have any other choices in snow land. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU DO??? [/b]</blockquote>

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by BillNorth [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>If I were you, I would go to the touchless wash. I went for the second time yesterday with my bimmer, and the Klasse SG is still there. You know how I know? Because I still have the haze.
    [/b]</blockquote>
    Now that is what I call DURABILITY!

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by BillNorth [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> Going to a coin-op place, even in barely above freezing weather is not practical. You`ll get sick. It`s easy for people down south to recco something like that, but until they have actually done it, they`ll never know how horrible it is. [/b]</blockquote>
    I have to disagree. It gets plenty cold most mornings in the Dallas area, and it is still often near freezing when I start on my first car in the morning. I`ve been sick exactly once (the flu in 1999) since the early 80`s. I do wear some skin tight neoprene gloves (with knit gloves underneath), a t shirt, sweatshirt, another t shirt and a water resistant wind breaker. I stay plenty warm and dry.

Still, a touchless car wash is probably the best bet, especially one with an undercarriage wash. Faster and most of them rinse with ionized water, so you don`t get spotting.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information