Post Thanks / Like

Just in...Collinite Insulator

I did some checking on the web, and found an Advance Auto Parts store that has the 845 in stock. It`s about 24 miles away from me, but no big deal. I picked some up and plan on putting a coat this afternoon. Review to follow.

PS: They had the Colliinite in their "marine" section, not in the wax section.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just in...Collinite Insulator

Collinite is strong stuff. Hoping to see it in action for those lower bumper sections.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, 1st mini review:

Apparently the bottle I picked up has been on the shelf for a while, because it was in a "thickened snot" type consistency. I ended up shaking the bottle for probably 1/2 hour, and it turned into a "runny snot" texture. As for the smell, I didn`t think it smelled good or bad, just kind of a chemical smell.

With a polishing pad and the PC on `4,` I put a few mists of water on the pad, and another few on the surface of the car. I`d heard that IW spreads insanely well, so I put a few dime sized drops on the pad...they were right, the way this stuff spreads is insane. It took several minutes buffing an area before the water droplets disappeared, but I contribute that to the 52* temps outside. After buffing for a while, it would seem like you were no longer putting anyhting down on the surface, but a change of angle, and you could se you were still putting down a nice thin coat.

I went ahead and covered the car (except for the front bumper/rear bumper), then started lap 2 around the car removing the haze with a MF. No surprizes here, it buffed off without incident, and I could feel that it was pretty slick, even under the MF, which usually `grabs` even the slickest surface. It`s been about an hour since I removed the IW, so I`m going to put coat #2 on in a bit. I`m not going to bother with pics, since I doubt there will be a visible difference that will show up on film (or pixels in this case).

PS: I think the bottle sucks for application, the big opening doesn`t lend itself very well to applying IW sparingly. I took a 2 oz bottle I had left over from an old Zaino order and put about 1- 1/2 oz of IW in that...much better.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

mini review #2

I applied the second coat a while ago. I used a finishing pad this time, but still used the water mist trick. Originally I only used six drops of IW to prime the pad. From that point on, I only needed four drops of insulator wax to re-prime the pad and cover at least two more panels!

All I can say is that if this stuff is HALF as good as it`s supposed to be, it has to be THE most cost-effective, high performance wax in the world. I`ve never even had a synthetic spread that well.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

don: I put 3 layers of #476 (paste version of #845) on my Accord and I really don`t know what the fuss is all about. It went on easy (apply it very, VERY thin) and came off just as easy when I did 1/2 a panel at a time. I removed the residue my trapping a MF towel beneath a PC & ran it at 3.5, changing towels as needed.

#476 left the surface glossy & slick and about as reflective as silver metallic can be. Collinite is not supposed to be a "beauty & appearance" wax but I don`t know what more you could ask for. I don`t have "golden eyes" but it looks as good as s100 to me.

If it`s as durable as people say (4 - 5 months) & looks this good, it`s a definite win-win .
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Mini update

It rained like crazy yesterday, and when I got out to the car, the water had (no surprise) beaded like crazy. There was a definite pattern on the roof where the water in the center formed a point (one LARGE high-standing bead), and all the rest of the beads radiated out toward the edges in straight lines, and were VERY tight. The hood was similarly patterned, and the sides had hundreds of vertical lines made up of thousands of beads.

The "drive it dry" concept was amazing. Even though it had been soaked by the rain, and driven 45 miles in rain/splash from other cars, when I pulled into my driveway, the car looked like it had just been washed & waxed and it had a few SMALL drops of water on it...like it had JUST started sprinkling.

This stuff is going to be FUN to watch and evaluate when the snow starts to fly.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

In the years that I used Collinite the snow does not stick to my cars.With a MF glove you just wipe away the snow and your car sits there like it just has been waxed you will have to see this with your own eyes I don`t expect you to believe me.

Thread Information