Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys World Typhoon Microfiber Cleaner

I feel special for having been selected by Steve of Poorboys World to review a beta version of the companys upcoming microfiber cleaner solution.

I picked these nasty towels for the review because theyre filthy and contain old and new nastiness. These are the microfibers I stick up in a wheel well after a trip without knowing just whats in there.

This is the before picture:

The microfiber cleaning product I received and tested:

My washing machine and the settings I used:

Hot water for the initial soak, warm water for the wash, and cold water for the two rinses. There were fifteen towels in the load, so I used a load size of medium.

This washer was manufactured by Admiral about sixteen years ago. Its not a high-efficiency unit.

As the directions suggested, I added two ounces of cleaner to the wash:

The detergent has a light fresh scent, much like Tide laundry detergent. Its blue and thick like Tide, too.

I slowly added the detergent to the wash water as it was filling, which resulted in plenty of suds:

I do my microfiber wash slightly differently from what may be typical. I use my washers soak cycle before allowing the load to wash normally. This cycle agitates the load for approximately thirty seconds every ten minutes. The soak cycle lasts for about forty minutes.

In this wash I added fifteen microfiber towels one by one, and, as you can see here, the water quickly changed color:

After the soak cycle, I remove the towels from the washer and allow it to refill with fresh water for the wash cycle while adding the directed amount detergent. This means I end up using the directed amount of detergent — twice: two ounces for the soak cycle and two ounces for the wash cycle. The soak cycle necessitates adding fresh detergent when the wash cycle begins, because the wash cycle begins with a load of fresh water, which dilutes the detergent left in the towels after the soak cycle.

After the soak, wash, and two rinses, here are the towels:

I put the towels in my dryer for exactly five minutes on low heat. This gives the towels a little bit of fluff.

Here are the towels piled on my drying rack as soon as the five-minute dryer cycle finished:

Then I put the dirtier towels under studio light for the following pictures:

Heres the dirtiest towel of the load:

This grease and grime had been on the towel for five to six months. I used the towel to clean the small gap between the outer lip of a wheel and a tire. I almost discarded this cheap towel, but I believe its been salvaged.

This light gray microfiber is another inexpensive towel that was almost discarded:

Prior to being washed, this yellow towel was stiff from the grime that inhabited it. The grime covered about seventy percent of the towel.

This glass towel sports a faint ghost of the grime it encountered on a windshield:

Heres another inexpensive towel whose dirt is mostly gone:

I dont know what the pinkish stains are from, but they were thick and gelled when the wash began.

Lastly, heres another semi-disposable orange towel that was used to clean the gap between the outer lip of a wheel and its tire:

Like its cousin, this towels grime was very thick before it was washed.

Unfortunately, I have experience with just one other microfiber wash, Micro-Restore, so Micro-Restore is the only microfiber detergent I can compare Typhoon to. Ive had good results from Micro-Restore, but Typhoon may have raised the bar. The heavy grime that engulfed some of these towels is gone, so Im sure Typhoon would be effective on my paint towels that are never more than lightly soiled. And Im delighted by the fresh scent Typhoon imparted to these towels.

I believe this may be my first-ever detailing-related review, and in hindsight I wish I had created test conditions that would have better shown the difference in cleaning effectiveness from Micro-Restore and Typhoon. For instance, I could scrub the tires of a truly dirty vehicle with two identical towels, taking care to get equal grime coverage on each. Then I could have washed one towel with Micro-Restore and one towel with Typhoon and compared the two towels side by side.

But even though I had just one wash to evaluate Typhoon, Im confident in its effectiveness and will purchase a bottle as soon as its available.

(We should keep in mind, of course, that this was a development version of Typhoon. The commercial release of this detergent may be different from the detergent I tested.)
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys World Typhoon Microfiber Cleaner

Thread fixed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Jaddie thanked for this post

Thread Information