Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info so far, thanks for the replies.

I think right now it`s something that I`m just going to deal with. I`ll polish a couple times a year to help fight it, but I only have a garage for the summer and being a student, I dont have tons of time to throw at my car just yet. I was more or less looking for the source of the marring and it seems we`ve found a couple.

One last question though...

How long do wash mitts generally last?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I don`t really mind using a bunch of WWs, and I blow most of the water off the Jag and the S8 with air anyhow. Saving time isn`t really a priority with me these days.

What are you Accumulator? Retired? :chuckle:

Anyway, your technique is flawless but I never think I could invest that much time into my car on any day. I`m just too slow and seems like my black Integra is a lost cause, at the moment. Who knows, I might just adopt your methods if I get a repaint on my car.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    My WalMart wash mitts only lasted about 3-4 months, and my Black Magic chenille-wrapped wash sponge only lasted maybe 6 weeks :down . My ExcelDetail MF mitts are still going strong after about 6 months.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzil
    What are you Accumulator? Retired? Anyway, your technique is flawless but I never think I could invest that much time into my car on any day...

Yeah, actually I *am* retired

I didn`t keep my cars *nearly* as nice when I was teaching, but nobody would`ve noticed it but me...I still spent a *lot* of time on them, but my technique and facilities weren`t as good. One winter I washed my Carrera 4 after *every* commute I look back and think "gee, I spent too much time detailing...". One day I decided that when I`m gone I want people to think more than "well, he kept his car clean", so I`ve been spending more time on other things. I don`t think I spend nearly as much time on car stuff these days, but being able to do the detailing whenever I want makes a big difference (as does the right shop and equipment).

Marksman- Seeing that you`re a student, IMO you`ve got more important things to occupy yourself with than detailing cars (yeah, I know, more of Accumulator`s Autopian heresy ). When I was in school, one year I just *quit* detailing altogether, stored my good car, and ran a beater through the carwash so I could concentrate on my studies. Probably one of the smartest things I could`ve done.

The wool mitts I bought from the Autopia store (yeah, I know, not the cheapest route) are still fine after about 8-10 moths. My MF mitts from MFTech are lasting a *long* time, but my chenille ones (Forget the maker, bought a bunch of them from fellow Autopian DetailKing a long time ago) wear out sorta fast. I`d consider them a renewable resource, to be used up and replaced (unlike the nonrenewable paint on your car ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

I can`t sheet the water due to my boosted pressure Sure did save time when I *could* do it....

Accumulator, I don`t quite understand this. Why not just turn the water down at the tap? This is what I do for one last final rinse for the whole car before I start drying.

Post Thanks / Like
    superstring- Yeah, it *is* a weird situation! When I turn it down at the sillcock the inner workings of said sillcock seem to make the water come out in a lesser quantity but at an even *higher* than normal pressure :nixweiss Turning off the hot water and just using the cold works a bit better, but not all that great.

Heh heh, if it were as simple as merely adjusting something (spigot, cutoff, whatever) I would`ve figured it out And nah, I`m not gonna go from the detailing garage to the house, down to the breaker box in the basement, and turn off the booster pump (just so I can go turn it on again after rinsing the car).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, if it were as simple as merely adjusting something (spigot, cutoff, whatever) I would`ve figured it out

Yeah, I`m sure you would`ve!! That`s what had me confused!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t confuse pressure with volume. While the valve will decrease the volume of water through the hose, it does nothing to lower the pressure. You can get a pressure reducing valve from places like Lowes for around $35 that will lower your water pressure. They come pre set from the factory at about 55 lbs and are adjustable up to about 80 lbs. They have a pipe thread but can be modified for hose thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    pogo123- Yeah, that`d be a solution, but except for the sheeting-rinse thing, I have everything just the way I want it. After all, I went to a fair amount of hassle and expense to get it this way The sheeting-rinse is something I can live without, and other than that the boosted pressure from my pump/holding tank system works great, completely overcoming our water delivery issues.

Heh heh, only we Autopians would take such an interest in how water comes out of a hose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information