Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased a 93 MR2 in red with no clear coat. It had heavy oxidation on the spoiler and light on the upper part of the body. I buffed it all out and applied some Klasse All-in-one and Glaze. Well the car set outside for about a week and the spoiler got oxidized again! Not as heavy but i still had to take some compound to it. Do i really have to buff/wax this thing every week? Is there any special technique and product i should use?

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm, you might want to see what blue-sun did on his red MR2:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...&highlight=mr2

i think he did a couple post about this, so you might have to search.

good luck
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah..ive seen his posts before. Mine actually came out like his when i was done BUT as soon as it set in the sun for a week or so some of the oxidation just came right back! I buffed it out again about 4days ago with 3m fine cut compound and put some zymol on top and it looks like its comming back again. Im just talking about the spoiler though..the rest of the body is still fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry i have no clue, maybe you might want to PM him as he might know more about MR2s.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    i have an mr2 you just need to keep on it. For the summer time i put on two layers of SG back in may and the oxidation didnt come back except some of the corner spots i may have missed. Try a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1990 Miata and that thing is a PITA to keep shiney. The only thing I can suggest is since it`s single stage paint try glazing it before sealants and waxes. Plastic and polyurethane panels are a pain after they start to fade so you just have to keep on em. Good luck man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im afraid im going to wear the paint down too much? So much red comes off each time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bufferdan

I just purchased a 93 MR2 in red with no clear coat. It had heavy oxidation on the spoiler and light on the upper part of the body. I buffed it all out and applied some Klasse All-in-one and Glaze. Well the car set outside for about a week and the spoiler got oxidized again! Not as heavy but i still had to take some compound to it. Do i really have to buff/wax this thing every week? Is there any special technique and product i should use?
    Are you working by PC/Rotory/hand, you shouldnt have to buff/wax every week as long as you maintain it well. If you know the car oxidizes very fast then id go w/something that has great UV protection i.e. Zaino, BF, Klasse

heres some links to help you out

http://properautocare.com/usdualpol1.html

http://properautocare.com/uscirpol1.html

Post Thanks / Like
    When paint fades quickly after polishing and waxing, the paint has died. RIP. It has opened up so much that it oxidizes very quickly. Sounds like new paint is in order....unless you want to wax it every other day until it finally wont even shine when that is done....
    If it stands still....wax it.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: When paint fades quickly after polishing and waxing, the paint has died. RIP. It has opened up so much that it oxidizes very quickly.

Does this mean that oils are no longer present or is there something else that has/can cause its demise?
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    No...it`s not a questing of oils not being present..more complicated than that...basically the chemical integrity of the paint has been degraded by UV, stress, environment, etc....In simple terms I guess you could say that it has dried out but it is really more of a weakening...the bonds of various components in the paint have been weakened and the paint opens up, more surface area to oxidize. Once the paint has been breached in this manner, applying waxes and polishes temporarily wets the surface making it appear better. The oils and other components do not have the ability to repair the broken bonds....but rather cover up the problem for a short period of time.

Paints, unlike waxes and polishes actually due chemically (catalysis) cure. Once these bonds have broken down...a chalky appearance of oxidation is present. When the damage goes deep...then waxing and polishing can no longer smooth out the surface and new paint is in order.
    If it stands still....wax it.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Chemist -Thanks for the explanation
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting :xyxthumbs

Thread Information