Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...now that I`m devoted to clean, detailed cars...how do I keep it so in Winter.

Here in Denver, we get periods of snow with all it`s associated crap including Magnesium Chloride , sand and salt.

We can get periods of weather in the 40`s or even 50`s during the day - when a hose wash is possible...but...there are going to be times when a hose washing just cannot be done.

The options then are...coin op wand wash..."touchless" Mark VII wash...or more elaborate but basically the same full service wash with pre-spray via pressure wand , slapping chamois deals inside the wash, and a final towel wipe down.

Knowing that there is no good option in here...which do you think is the least likely to do damage?

Is it better to leave the crud on the car and wait for a day when a hand wash can be done?

I`d almost rather be blissfully oblivious as I used to be

Peter..preparing for the worst...in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    What about several layers of a quality sealant (Klasse?) then QEW to maintain, with regular quick detailing to minimize the number of times you have to bring out the bucket to QEW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Move to Phoenix. Otherwise, do what beau said. :xyxthumbs
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Hmmm...last night out of nowhere my wife started talking about Bull Head City AZ....have you two been talking

Peter...looking at ways to build a wash bay into the garage...in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    Avoid the "slapping chamios" and any type of brush. Swirl city!

If you`ve got a garage, you can do the you-spray-it places and then use QEW at home in the shelter of your garage. You may want to ask if they recycle water. That means they also recycle grit, salt and mag chloride. Avoid those places.

If no garage, just you-spray-it and wait for a better day. Or put on fleece gloves topped with rubber glove and grin and bear it. It`s not too bad if you use warm (not hot) water.

Also, some coin op soaps can be harsh. I`d avoid any presoak. I`ve heard they will strip wax and maybe sealants.

Be sure you spray UNDER the car and wheelwells good. Mag chloride is known to corrode. Despite what CDOT says. Especially electrical wiring and connections.

I`m thinking Denver`s going to have a hard winter this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Peter Crowl

Hmmm...last night out of nowhere my wife started talking about Bull Head City AZ....

I just saw Bull Head, AZ on CNN last night. Their news scroll on the bottom listed it the highest temp in the country for the day at 104. The coldest was somewhere in Idaho at 28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PAW

Be sure you spray UNDER the car and wheelwells good. Mag chloride is known to corrode. Despite what CDOT says. Especially electrical wiring and connections.

I`m thinking Denver`s going to have a hard winter this year.

I`m concerned about a harsh winter as well...

the undercarriage is a huge concern...the Mark VII at the gas station near me does an underside wash - well...spray off anyway...as part of the job...but if their detergents are going to trash my body is it worth it? I can go to the coin wash and spray the underside...maybe use the rinse from a good distance to clear off the majority of the body crud...then wait for a decent day and do a hand wash.

Ideally - and this worked out last year...during the really bad spells we could leave the good car inside and drive the van. Don`t know how that`ll be this year.

Are you in Denver? Ever try places like Alexanders on Broadway?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the detergents will just reduce the live of you wax or sealant. Especially wax.

Any spray type wash only gets your car semi clean. There`s still a film than you have to physically touch to remove.

Any type of was is better than leaving salt and/or mag chloride on the body and undercarriage.

If you`ve got a beater you can drive during bad weather, that`s great.

I`m in Arvada. What is Alexanders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Locally we have a spray wash that has doors and is heated when you put in your money. I usually go down Sunday at 7 am and take my own water/ bucket and the first $ I get all the crud off and spray the underside. I then wash the car with the mitt and my soap and then the next $ I rinse down really well including underside.

I have 3 24 x 24 MF drying towels and I just hold one by the corner and do a walk around pulling the water off. Then I use a couple others to quickly finish the drying ..

On warmer days I pull outside and the door/trunk erges get done.

If you do this most local wash owners don`t mind it this early if your not holding up customers. If someone pulls in behind me and I`m not finished drying I just pull out.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PAW

I`m in Arvada. What is Alexanders?

One of the more "upscale" "hand" car washes in Denver...on Broadway at about Florida or so.

I don`t know of any enclosed coin washes in Denver...maybe PAW does...ours are all open air. I`ve gone in early and dried off in the stall as well.

All will become apparent as conditions make creativity a necessity!

Peter...pricing concrete sawing and drain installation for the garage...in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

well, if you dont want to move here I can clear some room in the garage for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Peter Crowl

One of the more "upscale" "hand" car washes in Denver...on Broadway at about Florida or so.

I don`t know of any enclosed coin washes in Denver...maybe PAW does...ours are all open air. I`ve gone in early and dried off in the stall as well.

All will become apparent as conditions make creativity a necessity!

Peter...pricing concrete sawing and drain installation for the garage...in Denver
    I`d be afraid to let some one else hand wash my cars! :scared Unless, they are an autopia approved detailer. :xyxthumbs

Nope! Don`t know any enclosed coin op washes. There`s one or two automatic washes near me that have doors. I think they only use them in the winter.

Check your building codes before you install a garage drain. There`s been discussions before that it`s illegal to hook them up to the sewer in some locations. I don`t know about Denver.

Post Thanks / Like
    what about pressure wash and a quick wax(megs for example)?? would that work?? I have a winter beater...but when days and roads are nice I like to take out the Z...still gets dirty..do you think that would work...or is that a prescription for swirls???

Post Thanks / Like
    Throw on a few coats of wax and go to Home Depot and buy a power washer.now they are going for $80 and with enought pressure to get the CRUD off the car wheel well and underneath

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALAN81

Throw on a few coats of wax and go to Home Depot and buy a power washer.now they are going for $80 and with enought pressure to get the CRUD off the car wheel well and underneath

well...the couple coats of generic wax used to be my MO but now I`m on the Zaino Train...

I have a pressure washer...the electrics you mention I have never found to be worth a crap...I finally bought a Sears Carry-Clean 3.5 HP gas powered unit and that works well...problem is you can`t run hot water through it...

Another problem with home use is that my garage faces north and so the driveway doesn`t thaw out easily...

It`s ok though...I`ll figure it out.

Peter...figuring...in Denver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information