Thread: Newbie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone! This is my first post. And I`m pretty confused about what would be the best possible way to detail my car. I just bought a 2004 metalic black BMW. I live in central Ohio and its currently -12* wind chill,salt everyehere. I don`t plan on driving the car in the winter. I don`t know the first thing about detailing a car,about the only imput I have is from this forum. I`ve heard German automakers use a different clearcoat then American and Japanese automakers, and it requires different products to get the desired effect. Also should I use clay to prepare the suface or not. Some say you should, and some say it can cause problems. Where should I begin. Please Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia. Click here to begin learning about where to start. To answer your question would be a post about 3 pages long. That link will get you the info in a much more organized way.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by toosweetkoolaid

I`ve heard German automakers use a different clearcoat then American and Japanese automakers, and it requires different products to get the desired effect. Also should I use clay to prepare the suface or not. Some say you should, and some say it can cause problems. Where should I begin. Please Help!

I don`t know about the German clear .. could be true I have a VW and it is deffinatly different.

Claying is a good first step .. and by all means read the learn as posted above,. There is also a good link here on claying

Clay tutorial

With a new car hopefully the dealer didn`t mess the paint up to bad and all you will have to do is clay and wax/sealant.

On my paint I had good luck with the Menzerna polishes for pre wax prep if needed.

BTW welcome to the family.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia

As you will see it’s a ‘very user friendly’ place, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable, and are more than willing to share their knowledge. The one thing that seems to stand out here compared to other special interest forums is a spirit of "open mindednessâ€, no opinion expressed is ‘wrong’ just different.

I’ve put this together to help you ‘find your way around’, it’s a lot of reading but worthwhile.

After reading the House Rules (upper left of the home page) that will tell you a bit about our operating procedures (and then Acronyms) Suggest you start at David’s guide (Learn icon – Car Care Topics) and/or (Forum – University) you could also research FAQ (go to Interact-Features-FAQ) or Interact (Search) and then ask your questions on (Forums - University) there are also tips on products under Shop (How-To) plus be sure to check on the discounts available to forum members. And there’s the (Reviews) section that includes the Hall of Fame, where contributing members have posted their evaluation of products.

The Autopia “Guide to detailing eBook†(eBook Subscription) covers most facets of vehicle detailing, it only costs $9.95, and that money helps to support this forum. If Autopia solves just one of your detailing problems it’s worth the price of admission

"Learn the prep b4 using good products, it will save you $$$ in the long run." hondaguy2582

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Everyone! This is my first post. And I`m pretty confused about what would be the best possible way to detail my car. I just bought a 2004 metalic black BMW.

Where should I begin. Please Help!

toosweetkoolaid,

You should begin at the beginning and that you have already done. Also, you are very smart for coming to autopia for your car care needs. The members of this forum have lots of good information to share.

So what is polishing and waxing a car all about? It all really breaks down into three basic processes.

1- the process of cleaning the paint

2- the process of polishing the paint

3- the process of waxing the paint

Almost all of the detailing products, that you will read about will all fall into one of these categories.

The key is to know what to use, when to use it and how to use it. It is really that simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    toosweetkoolaid - Welcome to Autopia. As everyone`s saying, read up on this stuff and try to learn as much general detailing info as you can before doing anything on your new Bimmer. Since you don`t plan on driving it in our Ohio winters anyhow, it`ll be time well spent.

Pay particular attention to tips on how to wash/dry the vehicle. This is actually a bit trickier than most people might think and it`s probably where MOST problems (swirls, scratches, other "marring") occur. Since black shows every little flaw, it`ll be a LOT better to not inflict such damage in the first place. Don`t try to economize too much here, good washing/drying stuff is worth the money.

Oh, and IMO, the whole "German clear" bit is QUITE overstated. As best I can tell, your BMW clear isn`t as hard as my Audi`s clear, or that of many Japanese vehicles, but people use all sorts of products on black Bimmers with great results. Be wary of marketing tactics (even those of good, reputable vendors) that make it sound like you need "special products" because your car is somehow "special".

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I`ve been reading the links you`ve suggested, and have been learning alot. If this was your car how would you care for it, and what products would you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Black cars need to be kept even more clean than other colors to help reduce the minor imperfections.

As far as products go, take a look at as many pictures of different products as possible and do some experimenting to see what YOU like the best.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    toosweetkoolaid - OK, here`s a specific-product type of recommendation:

Wash with Griot`s Car Wash (very high lubricity)

Polish with 1Z Paint Polish (green can), then 1z Metallic Polish (red can)- these are VERY, *VERY* user-friendly.

Seal with the Klasse twins, or AIO followed by P UPP

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator. Sounds like a good plan. What would you recommend for the rest of the car seals, leather etc. Also what do you think of the Perfect Shine?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve heard German automakers use a different clearcoat then American and Japanese automakers, and it requires different products to get the desired effect.

Looks like everyone here has steered you in the right direction. That metallic black is a great color BTW.

As for the german clear, thats just something salesmen say. In all reality, the paint may even be the same brand as that found on some Japanese and American cars.

I`m sure they have those "special german paint products" right there to sell you

Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

..What would you recommend for ..seals, leather etc. Also what do you think of the Perfect Shine?

If the Perfect Shine is the AIO/P21S combo, *I* am not all that impressed. For polishing out marring (swirls, etc.), *I* find the 1Z stuff BY FAR the easiest to use. AIO is great, but if you want to top it with wax (instead of SG-VERY durable, or P UPP- VERY slick, also long lasting) *I* would use Meg`s #16. It looks a LOT like P21S (*IMO* you`ll never see the difference), but is MUCH less expensive, and *MUCH* more durable. Sorta "self cleaning" in the rain, too and has very cool beading characteristics. I like it a LOT better than the P21S, but that`s just me. One can will last you for years, and I somehow just like using the stuff...smells like crayons.

Any other, specific Q`s on the Perfect Shine combo? I`m sorta fuzzy on what all is in it.

Leather- Griot`s, 1Z, or Pinnacle are what *I* use for German cars. Seals, *I* prefer the Wurth product, but most people like the 1Z Gummi Pflege (sp?) or the similar stuff available at BMW dealerships (you should probably just get that). 303 is good for most such surfaces too, sorta a good general purpose rubber/vinyl product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m no detailing sensei, but here` s what I do on my black Miata.

Washing, I use a chenille mitt (replace when compromised) and Meguiars (grape smelling) wash. My nossle is actually a y adapter wity one end open and the other with a pavemnt sweeper attachment. Waxing, I like S100, but use synthetics. I`ve tried Zaino and the cheaper sealants. I think I`m about to try the NXT or maybe finally try Klasse AIO. That`ll be in the spring after I clay again (using Clay Magic). On glass, I like EO 20/20 or Stoners. On wheels, EO A2Z, though it does require scrubbing a little, so get a wheel cleaning brush. I also use EO as a tire dressing, their Wet Tire Shine. First buy the sampler pack to get the curved sponge applicators.

Also, for a new car, I`d do the engine with Engine Kote as well as the wheel wells. Nothing indicates the age of a car like a dirty underside. My wheelwells are shameful (in my opinion).

A word on black cars: You, sir, are a masochist. So am I, apparently, for buying a black car. Only detailing people will ever notice when you`re car looks it`s best, and most of the time, you`ll be cursing the road grime, and swerving to miss puddles. Sometimes, I think I shoulda just bought a silver car. And then I see the sharp, hard mirror finish of my car, and realize, eh, it really is worth it.

Edited to add: Figure out how many microfiber towels you`ll need. Then buy 3x that.

Thread Information