Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    On my black paint I applied 3m smr for dark cars via the porter cable then I removed it with a different pad. The speed wa a 4. After finishing there are a ton of tiny scratchs all over the hood which I did with the pc. They are like hair line flakes not long scratchs. When I went to the use the pad a bunch of old hardened wax flew off the pad and like an idiot I kept using that pad with all the dust on the hood.

Now I`m trying to figure out was it the old hardened dust that was on the pad that caused the flaky scratchs or is it possible that some old wax that was already still on the hood caused the flaky scratchs.

Also am I sunk or is there some way to remove them? I tried the smr again by machine. No help. Iwashed the car totally and now I`m trying the smr by hand. I even tried some rubbing compound on a area but that didnt seem to help. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. If not I`ll just hope that black wax will cover most of them.

Thanks in advance. I screw up more than I fix while detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    What i would do is wash the car again, make sure you have a clean pad, then apply DACP to the pad and a little line on the car, buff it until it is dry, then take a clean microfiber towel and wipe off any dusting/residue from the dacp. That should take care of it.
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that you used another PC pad to remove the SMR residue instead of using a cotton terry towel or microfiber towel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I use dacp by hand or does it have to be by machine? These scratchs while not very visable are real. I felt on with my nail although most cant be felt. Now I just have to find a place that carrys dacp.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes I used another pad to remove the smr. I was told you could remove residue with a pad. was that wrong?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a test spot using a clean foam pad, and some DACP.

Wipe off and inspect.

If it removes the defects and the spot looks better than the surrounding area, then repeat to the entire area.

If it doesn`t dramatically improve the appearance, then this might be a job for the rotary buffer.

Kind of depends on how hard your paint is.

You might try bumping your PC setting up to 5.0, even 5.5

Mike

p.s.

If you don`t have any #83, I have been getting great results using ScratchX with both the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher and the rotary buffer, it`s cheap and available at most auto parts stores, might be worth trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always use a microfiber or 100% cotton towel to remove residue. Use a PC to apply product, not remove it. Hit the car again with DACP, but use a towel to remove it this time. It should fix some of those marks.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea where I can find dacp? Is it worth trying with scratch x first? I`m really nervous about using this machine again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go here and enter youyr zip code to find local suppliers of Megs products

http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocato...r_template.cfm

Post Thanks / Like
    go to this link and see if there is a store near you. I just got my DACP from them.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/co...re_locator.cfm

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the suppliers but the commercial suppliers dont usually carry it only the professional. Ill try shrwin willimas.

By the way these scratchs are like scattered 1 cm lines and many seem to have like a dot or hole right in the middle. Has anyone heard of that before?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are evenly distributed over the area you buffed... then chances are good they were instilled by the polisher.

Hard to tell with out being their or a good close-up pictures.

ScratchX with a polishing pad, won`t make things any worse, it would be a good safe test as to whether or not they can be improved, or removed.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    its pretty evenly distributed. I went out and bought scratchx but no luck. It looks like if you mistakenly dried your car with a towel that had a lot of hair on it. now all the hair is on the paint. I`m going to try to clay it and see if that helps at all but I know its a long shot. If clay doesnt work I will just hope that black wax hides most of it. You dont see it unless you are looking down at the hood. If you are 1 foot away or more you dont see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this now is a job that will require a rotary polisher. Right, Mike?

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    i did what i could. I dont know what caused it at all. It could have been a dirty pad ( I was told they were clean) or maybe wax that was already on the car. Its a real shame but what are you going to do. Most people wont notice inless its a sunny day or they are looking straught down on the hood. I`m really dissapointed but what can you do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information