Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked some of these "polymer" sealants and most of the CAS #s point to silicone oil.

The breakdown temp of this oil is around 458F.

Is this true? Is silicone oil really the polymer sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure what CAS #s are??? However, Polymers "waxes" are made up of hydrocarbons and should not have silicone oil in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I checked out Finish 2001 which is supposed to be VERY similar to Nu Finish, and as you know, these do NOT contain any waxes - just polymer sealants.

The polymer sealant was Dow Corning 200 Fluid or Polydimethyl siloxane, aka Silicone Oil. This SAME material is found in Liquid Glass and is the largest polymer ingredient.

This is also found in Meguiar`s Gold Class however Gold Class ALSO contains carnauba wax.

The MSDS for Finish 2001 did not list the exact percentages for water, kaolin, and the silicone oil.

I`m still trying to get the MSDS for Nu Finish from Reed Union.

Post Thanks / Like
    contain all the ingredients in a product.

Also, those products are silicone polymers NOT silicone oils. Polydimethyl siloxane is a silicone resin....very durable, and usually used in hi solvent abrasive mixtures...

some examples....

Nu finish

Finish first

Liquid glass

Nautical ease

astro-shield

Westley`s

Post Thanks / Like
    The MSDS for Liquid Glass DID contain all the ingredients.

12% was this

http://www.fishersci.ca/msds.nsf/96c...0?OpenDocument

Well what i really wanted to know was:

will products like Nu Finish PROTECT the surface for a longer time? I mean, does this silicone oil/resin stuff work as advertised?

Post Thanks / Like
    The MSDS i got for Liquid Glass came directly from Liquid Glass and was COMPLETE. The percentages came to 100%.

Post Thanks / Like
    This might not clear anything up, or maybe it will?

The polishes mentions NU-Finish, Meguiar`s Gold Class, and Finish 2001 are products that I would not consider polymer "waxes".

From Turtle Wax web page the following description of Finish 2001 is given:

"Finish 2001Ă‚® revolutionary, high-technology silicone resin formula, enriched with urethane, provides a rich deep-gloss shine even to old, weathered finishes.

Finish 2001Ă‚®, the 21st century, urethane-enriched formula, now contains a high-tech polymer and an advanced ultraviolet ray absorber, blocker and stabilizer system. It cleans and protects in one easy application."

This description indicates to me that this is a SILICONE product that has a "high-tech polymer" added to it to enhance the product.

NU-Finish - I was unable to find the information I was looking for on NU-Finish, but if my memory serves me right, it is also a silicone based "wax"

Meguiar`s Gold Class - is considered a carnauba wax, and carnauba wax requires a solvent to aid in the softening of the carnauba for application.

"Waxes" that are generally considered to be Polymer waxes are: Zaino, Finish First,BlackFire, and Dri Wash and Guard. There are others.

The definition of a Polymer is that it is any of numerous natural and synthetic compounds of usually high molecular weight consisting of up to millions of repeated linked units, each a relatively light and simple molecule. For example plastic is a synthetic polymer, while protein is a natural polymer.

What does that mean? Well that a Polymer waxes can be based on different compounds. Blackfire I believe states that their formula is based on the molecular element of silicone (Si).

If a company advertises that their product does not contian silicone than the product does not contain R2-SiO, where R is an organic group.

Zanio advertises no silicone. I have never asked for the MSDS on it, but it might be worth looking into.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Polymer waxes will out last the Carnauba waxes.

Carnauba waxes begine to "melt" at 180 degrees (F). In most areas it is not unusual for the surface of the car in the summer time to exceed 180 degrees. In addition the carnauba wax is softer and will wash off easier.

Polymers have a higher melting temperature (above 400 degree F). Are harder and stand up to repeated washings.

Post Thanks / Like
    The silicone oil/resin has a breakdown temp of around 458F, which reinforces what you said.

I chose to test Nu Finish on my 2000 Ford Crown Vic because its one of the least expensive polymer deals I could find OTC.

I heard it makes the body look like crap or something but from what I saw after NuFinish`ing it, it was comparable to Gold Class - it just doesn`thave that deep/wet carnauba look.

I already noticed the hood, roof, and trunk of my Crown Vic (dark dark blue) starting to rough up and oxidize. The water still beads on the side of the car (Gold Class protection) but the top surfaces aren`t beading. The Nu Finish removed a lot of the oxidation and made it somewhat smoother, but I`m hoping Nu FInish will protect it from UV rays and such (in NJ, the sun + acid rain really does a job on the body)

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some good old up State New York Winters. If you live near NYC than we are in Northern New York State (North of upState New York).

The Paint finish up here takes a beating. That is why I went to a Polymer. You have a Zanio deal in your neck of the woods. You may want to consider trying some Zanio as well. Also use some clay before you put the wax on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went to the store and scoped out FInish 2001 to see if it was indeed Nu Finish...

The main thing that pretty much separates the two is:

you can apply Nu finish in the sun, you can`t do it with Finish 2001.

Post Thanks / Like
    ttt

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Charlie,

I see you`ve been busy. Keep up the good work.

Colin
    I couldn`t fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colin: thanks!

I`m sold on polymers tho!

I waxed my T-bird (busted a$$ finish) and its been beading water like crazy after 6 heavy rainstorms and several days of intense UV radiation (at least 30 hours of being under a sun with a UV index of 9).

Carnauba products generally last 1 rainstorm on the T-bird.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve switched over to the polymers too for the Vic. Gold Class just wasn`t holding up on the hood, roof and trunklid. I got tired of rewaxing just those areas every week while the sides were excellent. Used NuFinish after dawn, clay, dawn, polish, glaze then NuFinish and it just kicks ***. I just wish I could make it to St. Thomas to show it off. You going?

Colin
    I couldn`t fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information