Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Ties till the -bloom- goes away.....

I was on YouTube just looking to see how different wheel cleaners are on the current market....shampoo and Sonax + is my shelf combo.
    I rarely watch auto detail videos.

Anyhow, found alot of videos. Cleaning technique has 3-5 wash passes, with cleaning product until the soap rinses from brown to Clear on the tires.

I`m exactly opposite. If I`m dressing the tires, I`ll do a pass of TufShine Tire Cleaner on 1 pass and that`s it.
    In my mind, no need to accelerate whatever bloom agent is in the tire.
    I can always apply more dressing but I can`t -add back- bloom agents.
    Have I been doing it wrong all this time.
    Is the normal really to wash/rinse, wash/rinse till you see white clear rinsing....Maybe I`ve been doing it wrong all this time......eh, I`m not looking to clean out all the bloom agents.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Ties till the -bloom- goes away.....

mobiledynamics:
    My opinion is NO, it is not "normal" to clean a tire several times until the brown bloom is removed.
    ONE application of a tire cleaner and a good scrubbing with a tire brush SHOULD be sufficient to remove enough of the browning to be "clean" for a preferred tire gel application.
    I assume tire cleaning multi-wash method applies to new tires that may have excessive bloom due to the ozone/UV anti-oxidation chemicals blended into the tire compounds that have come to the surface.

NOW, a bigger question is does this excessive, multi-wash tire cleaning of the browning bloom cause premature tire degradation due to the "complete" removal of this browning and hence, the UV/Ozone anti-oxidation chemical from the tire compound??
    My short answer is NO. Tire degradation occurs more from how you drive the vehicle and maintain the tires and the environmental factors of where you drive the vehicle than how often or how you clean the tires, BUT that subject to conjecture and personal judgement on my part.

Then there is the debate if tire gels/protectants denigrate tire life expectancy, IE cause tire side walls to crack prematurely. My short answer is NO. That said, I prefer using water-based tire gels (Optimum`s Opti-Bond Tire Gel or OBTG) rather than solvent-based gels, even if they do not last as long on tires. Personal preference.
    I also hate/dislike/cannot stand ultra-shiny tire gels. See my related thread i started on this:
    Suggestions for Matte-Finish Tire Shine Products for Show Vehicles

One side note to this is that Michelin tires are notorious for premature cracking or weather-checking of the side wall. Having run and preferring to use Michelin tires on my vehicles, this observation is somewhat true in my experience.
    That said, the ride and handling characteristics of Michelin tires FAR outweigh this sidewall cracking problem in my opinion, hence my preference for using them.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration now recommends that ALL tires be replaced every six years, REGARDLESS of the miles driven on them due to this sidewall cracking from weather-checking and normal wear-and-tear driving. This is not a ploy by tire manufacturers to sell more tires, but to keep American drivers and passengers safe at today`s highway speed of 70-plus MPH.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    My opinion is NO, it is not "normal" to clean a tire several times until the brown bloom is removed.
    ONE application of a tire cleaner and a good scrubbing with a tire brush SHOULD be sufficient to remove enough of the browning to be "clean" for a preferred tire gel application.
    I agree, the only downside to this is that when the (water-based) tire dressing washes off, then the tire looks brown again, instead of just "undressed".

I assume tire cleaning multi-wash method applies to new tires that may have excessive bloom due to the ozone/UV anti-oxidation chemicals blended into the tire compounds that have come to the surface.
    I`d assume it`s for coating application. I could also assume that it`s because the YouTuber doesn`t know what they are doing, because there`s no requirement to know anything to have a YouTube channel.

NOW, a bigger question is does this excessive, multi-wash tire cleaning of the browning bloom cause premature tire degradation due to the "complete" removal of this browning and hence, the UV/Ozone anti-oxidation chemical from the tire compound??

One side note to this is that Michelin tires are notorious for premature cracking or weather-checking of the side wall. Having run and preferring to use Michelin tires on my vehicles, this observation is somewhat true in my experience.
    I would say yes, because a car I frequently used a caustic tire cleaner on to "get all the browning out" did develop what I thought was premature sidewall cracking...however those were Michelin tires so maybe the cleaner had nothing to do with it, but this is one of those unknowable things. Like the people who said "I used xyz brand of oil in my car and it went 250,000 miles, so xyz brand is the best" without being able to know whether 6 other brands would have had the same result.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration now recommends that ALL tires be replaced every six years, REGARDLESS of the miles driven on them due to this sidewall cracking from weather-checking and normal wear-and-tear driving. This is not a ploy by tire manufacturers to sell more tires, but to keep American drivers and passengers safe at today`s highway speed of 70-plus MPH.
    In the old days I would have completely bought that, but in my old age I have more skepticism about how these recommendations/regulations are reached, given the risk-averse nature of society, etc. I think we had a large discussion with Swanic when he took his (full-size) spare that was 12 years old or something and put it the car to drive ("permanently"). I think at the time I had the above-mentioned cracked sidewall Michelins on my car that were 10+ years old, and both of us were non-plussed by the argument that we were in danger of imminent death. I think we both did replace those tires in a year or so, but not because we were afraid of death. Which I think again means I have almost 10 year old tires on that car. (checking files...yup, 9 years).
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The tires on my driver are the originals,12 years old. I drive locally only but I will be replacing them this Fall I guess largely out of the fear of dying especially if I go 70 miles per hour.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Wowsers Bill. 12 years....

I`m really reallly super picky about tires. For the non leasers, what I do is actually sell them 1/3-1/2 life, recoup some and then get fresh tar...
    It does cost me at the end of the day, but those 4 little itty bitty dinner plates is what I ride my life on.

Post Thanks / Like

I clean NEW tires with a few passes of a true tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine to make sure it is no longer browning.

If I`m going to apply a tire coating (not dressing) then I will also make multiple passes with a tire cleaner until is no longer browns.

If I`m just cleaning a tire for a dressing, I only do a single pass with a tire cleaner and that is more rare. Usually I just use a wheel cleaner that also cleans tires (Meguiars D143).

Thread Information