Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

White car for a nubie

I have a buddy of mine who just bought a Jaguar F type. He has no idea about detailing but he wants to get his car looking as nice as my autos and is asking what equipment he should buy. He is in his 70s and I know he will not go through the necessary process to get it looking as it could be, at least not for very long - he will just give up and everything will be gathering dust on a shelf some where in his garage. My thinking is I will have him look at Griots as a one stop shopping to make it easy. I am going to tell him I can do it for him if he reconsider all the work that it takes. I Know that white is one of the colours that doesn`t show all the hard and long hours we all put into our vehicles. So I am thinking I will have him clay the car and use a paint prep before using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spray Coating. I am going to explain there is a long learning curve and to do it right you have to be focus and stick with it.
    If I will do it I think I will end up using the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating as this seems to have a long life.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White car for a nubie

I would think about Poorboys White Diamond (glaze) topped with FK1000P and maintained by some QD of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a white 2019 BMW M550i. I`m going to hit it with Poorboy`s White Diamond, and top it with the new Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I have a white 2019 BMW M550i. I`m going to hit it with Poorboy`s White Diamond, and top it with the new Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant.

I question compatibility of White Diamond and anything SiO2, general consensus is anything SiO2 needs to be used with SiO2 or at least SiO2 as a base.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I question compatibility of White Diamond and anything SiO2, general consensus is anything SiO2 needs to be used with SiO2 or at least SiO2 as a base.
    There`s really no correction needed. I was going to use the White Diamond just to "clean" the paintwork after claying. I could use Eraser as an intermediate step before the sealant application.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I have a buddy of mine who just bought a Jaguar F type. He has no idea about detailing but he wants to get his car looking as nice as my autos and is asking what equipment he should buy. He is in his 70s and I know he will not go through the necessary process to get it looking as it could be, at least not for very long - he will just give up and everything will be gathering dust on a shelf some where in his garage. My thinking is I will have him look at Griots as a one stop shopping to make it easy. I am going to tell him I can do it for him if he reconsider all the work that it takes. I Know that white is one of the colours that doesn`t show all the hard and long hours we all put into our vehicles. So I am thinking I will have him clay the car and use a paint prep before using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Wolfgang Uber Si02 Spray Coating. I am going to explain there is a long learning curve and to do it right you have to be focus and stick with it.
    If I will do it I think I will end up using the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating as this seems to have a long life.
    bcgreen 1
    Hope this finds all you guys safe and well..

If your neighbor is in his 70`s, how healthy and strong is he now? I hope he has great health !

Hope he takes your advice and perhaps lets you do it, or some kind of an arrangement can be worked out..

Those new Jag-U-are (The English pronunciation) F types are beautiful..
    And being white, it is harder to spot paint defects, etc., so that is good..

Im sure you will find the right combination of products and it will all end up fabulous !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    bcgreen 1
    Hope this finds all you guys safe and well..

If your neighbor is in his 70`s, how healthy and strong is he now? I hope he has great health !

Hope he takes your advice and perhaps lets you do it, or some kind of an arrangement can be worked out..

Those new Jag-U-are (The English pronunciation) F types are beautiful..
    And being white, it is harder to spot paint defects, etc., so that is good..

Im sure you will find the right combination of products and it will all end up fabulous !
    Dan F
    He just had a cervical spine operation 2 wks. ago and it looks like he is doing okay, especially going to buy a new car. I told him their value drops like a rock with a steel ball attached but I guess he doesn`t care. I sent him a bunch of vid. so he gets the idea you cannot just jump in as a newbe and expect prof. results.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

He just had a cervical spine operation 2 wks. ago and it looks like he is doing okay, especially going to buy a new car.
    Personally I wouldn`t want to suggest anything that requires too much physical effort until he`s a few more weeks out. A spray on product makes the most sense.
    Just because I`m stupider than them they think they`re smarter than me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERP View Post
    Personally I wouldn`t want to suggest anything that requires too much physical effort until he`s a few more weeks out. A spray on product makes the most sense.
    I agree but he lacks all patience and is quite impulsive.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can convince him to go with Poorboy`s White Diamond, what is compatible and long lasting?

Post Thanks / Like

If I can convince him to go with Poorboy`s White Diamond, what is compatible and long lasting?
    By itself, no. I recommended it to assist filling in some minor scratching and swirling, to aid in keeping polishing to a minimum. If you want to keep it super simple, FK1000P will be fine by itself. It just doesn`t fill like White Diamond, as WD is a glaze/cleaner polish that is designed to fill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    By itself, no. I recommended it to assist filling in some minor scratching and swirling, to aid in keeping polishing to a minimum. If you want to keep it super simple, FK1000P will be fine by itself. It just doesn`t fill like White Diamond, as WD is a glaze/cleaner polish that is designed to fill.
    I am wondering what to use on top of WD that is long lasting - perhaps FK?

Post Thanks / Like

My late father never even washed a car in his life until he was 70 (when *he* got a Jag too), and/but he was still doing it weekly, with a little help from me, well into his late 80s. Oldsters can do this stuff!

I like the one-stop-at-Griot`s approach, which coincidentally is what my dad did. I`d just recommend their Ceramic 3-in-1 spray and say "good enough", which it may well be on white, at least to a non-Autopian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My late father never even washed a car in his life until he was 70 (when *he* got a Jag too), and/but he was still doing it weekly, with a little help from me, well into his late 80s. Oldsters can do this stuff!

I like the one-stop-at-Griot`s approach, which coincidentally is what my dad did. I`d just recommend their Ceramic 3-in-1 spray and say "good enough", which it may well be on white, at least to a non-Autopian.
    I like that idea and he might too. Just curious for the sake of conversion, what to use on top of the GG 3 in 1 - FK, for longevity?

Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea and he might too. Just curious for the sake of conversion, what to use on top of the GG 3 in 1 - FK for longevity?
    Heh heh, I`d be disappointed if the 3-in-1 needed *anything* over top of it! I`d lean towards some good Drying Aid and leaving it at that, just using some kind of (very user-friendly) paint cleaner (no idea what..) before the inevitable redo of that 3-in-1. I`d peruse the GG catalog..oops, I mean "handbook" ...and see what might fit the bill.

Just because [an individual like me] thinks the FK is all that I wouldn`t go so far as to recommend it to someone looking for "really quick and easy".

It is a good Q though...what might work on top of that Ceramic-based product. FK1000P sure works on top of a lot of things, but I dunno if it`d stick to that one. Or whether that`d really be an upgrade or not. If I were, uhm...different...I`d maybe even try that 3-in-1 myself, for some reason it did pique my interest, maybe just because of the cool green color

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information