Post Thanks / Like

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">This weekend i am planning to use the 15 with an AIO - just don`t have the time for polish wax as separate steps (I have 8-10 hrs over two days).`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Car is a 2010 Blue Ford Taurus (nice paint but super dirty and water etched and swirled). I definitely need some guidance. I realize this is not a full correction and maybe not even a partial correction so I am looking for moderate to good results. (I am recently converted to Zanio but willing to try anything that works).

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Also, will do excellent surface prep - one excellent thing about these forums is that anyone who does this as a profession or hobby knows now that surface prep is super critical. Plan to wash, clay, wash again dry and onto AIO. Will not IronX as i have never done and just don`t have the time. Interior tires will be done quickly. Glass will be polished though.`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Anyway, a few questions:

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">a) which pad to use - i have the Rupes pads of course - i have 2 whites and 2 yellows. No idea on which to use and whether two is enough.`
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">b) pad cleaning - I have read about changing pads on each panel but is that advised, and how do you quick clean them after you finish a panel
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">c) Speed on the 15 - spread at 3 and polish at 5 - no clue
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">d) Hand speed - every video and Mike`s book show a "quick spread" and a slow arm pass. Is that right for a rupes
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">e) Finally, how many passes - since this is a hobby and i am looking for moderate/good results, is it 3 horizontal and 3 vertical - again no idea.`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">As everyone can see, never used a Rupes before and I botched paint using a old Porter Cable from like 10 yrs ago on another car. Any thoughts comments would be appreciated and thx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta ask first off how you botched paint with a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    C, d, and e look good. Changing pads every panel is a little overkill IMO. I`ve got a pad brush that I used on the pads frequently (turn on the machine and hold the brush to it for a few seconds) and will use 2 - 3 pads for a vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to say this but didn`t understand about pad cleaning and got grit on pad - hence swirls galore, holograms, scratches etc. ` ` `

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started, I watched a few instructional videos and just took it from there.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like

agree with your points c,d and e. Regarding hand speed, look up Abrasive Isolation by Barry Theal. Highly effective and explains the mechanics behind this superbly.

`

I would think HD Polish on yellow Rupes pads would fit the bill as a single step minor correction. Strikes the balance between cut and finish.

`

You would be ok to spur out your pad after every panel, swap back and forth between your two pads every alternative panel to give them a chance to cool down allowing them to last longer.

`

Good luck!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...8c8d1331ca.jpg

<span style="color:#4b0082;">Bon Vivant Automotive Care</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">Unit 5, 8 Rocklea Drive, Port Melbourne 3207, Australia</span>
    T:<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">Â`+61 (3) 9681 9770</span>
    W:Â`bonvivantautocare.com.au
    E:<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">Â`</span>info@bonvivantautocare.com.au
    FB:<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(245,245,245);">Â`</span>https://www.facebook.com/BonVivantAutomotiveCare

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason you can`t do two full steps plus a wax or sealant in 8-10 hours.`

`

ONR wash-30-40 minutes

Clay-30-40 minutes (unless there is extreme contamination)

Compound: Meguiars M100, Optimum Hyper Compound (new version), 3D HD Cut using a Meguiars MF cutting pad or green Rupes foam cutting pad-should take 1.5-2.0 hours

Polish: Optimum Hyper Polish (new version), Rupes Keramik Gloss, 3D HD Polish using an Optimum MF cutting pad or yellow Rupes foam polishing pad-about 45 minutes

Opti-Seal to finish-10 minutes
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

On pad cleaning when using an AIO- Just clean the pad out when it needs it.` With the minimal abrasives in most AIOs the pad won`t get as loaded up with cut-off clear or with abrasives, the stuff that needs cleaned off will primarily be "used" AIO and whatever [stuff] is getting cleaned off the paint.` It shouldn`t be all that hard to tell when the pad is getting loaded up, but I`d still err on the side of caution and clean it before it obviously needs doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good advice previous to mine...

`

However, I am curious to your AIO product. `Which one?

`

I think the actual AIO product will be a factor concerning the pad cleaning/ changing & your technique.

`

For example... if I am using D151 for a mild cleaning of the paint with some very light swirl removal... I`ll change the pad every panel and clean the pad after every section.`

`

If I`m using Optimum`s PS/ DG501 for cleaning of the paint without regards to defects... I will change the pad every 2- 3 panels, depending, and clean the pad every other section/ when it is needed.

`

Pad saturation/ contamination is certainly RAPID with AIOs, at least for me... and makes perfect sense considering the various goals and ingredients used in the AIO products to achieve said goals. `

`

`

Best,

-Gabe
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Thread Information