Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Severe paint contamination

My friend is dying of cancer and I have to sell his Chevy truck ASAP which has sat for extended periods of time in carports, covered with soot from the nearby freeway.

I think my wrists would fall off trying to clay bar this stuff. There`s just so much of it. Do you know of a better solution?

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Severe paint contamination

Actually claying is relatively easy.. If you`re sure it`s soot and contamination and not artillery fungus.

But they do make a clay alternative for pc etc.

Sorry about your friend.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? One of our members may be able to help out.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your friend. Are those pics after washing? I agree with JBM. Use the Valuguard system to decontaminate and then clay to remove anything that remains.

Post Thanks / Like

TedNugent- Welcome to Autopia!

The ValuGard ABC system is my usual recommendation for jobs like that, and I`d get their Bug Pad to scrub with while the products are dwelling.

That`s so nasty that I might go with the FinishKare FK1119 instead of the "A" and a color-indicator acidic product in place of the "B". (The "C" is just a regular ph-neutral shampoo.) But I`d use their Bug Pad no matter which brand of chemical I chose. That`ll make for far less subsequent work, although you might still need to do a little claying anyhow.

Oh man would it be easier to find a member here in your area and pay to have it done, but if you DIY it it`ll be more time than effort with the right chemicals and that pad.

Post Thanks / Like

so...you`ve not tried claying it yet?

Post Thanks / Like

eagle1 makes a synthetic clay mitt OTC- never tried it but if you are not close to a place to get something from in a pinch, that might be your best option for non traditional clay

a chemical decontamination prior to the claying will make you have to clay less most likely

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    eagle1 makes a synthetic clay mitt OTC- never tried it but if you are not close to a place to get something from in a pinch, that might be your best option for non traditional clay

a chemical decontamination prior to the claying will make you have to clay less most likely
    thats where i was going with my question... a little Iron-X might prove beneficial on that vehicle
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    a little Iron-X might prove beneficial on that vehicle
    Isn`t Iron-X primarily for ferrous contamination? I don`t know much about it (only used it once), but I`d think that`s what the name implies.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. My friend`s health is deteriorating fast and I, as his Power of Attorney, don`t have the time to mess with it.

Can you recommend anyone in the Orange County, CA area (near Disneyland) who will charge a fair price to detail the truck using the methods recommended above?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never tried an ABC style decon. I don`t have Bug Pads, or a high pressure washer.

I DO have Poorboy`s Mesh Bug MF, 3Ds BDX (similar to Iron X?), car wash soaps, mitts, etc.

I work down the street from Disney. Harbor and Broadway.

I`m actually in the middle of moving, so don`t really have time on the weekends to do a very thorough detail on it. And given what is shown in the pic, along with what people are suggesting, I may not even have the supplies/skill set to get the job done.

That said, I`d be willing to try during the weekdays. I have roughly 45 min during lunch. And can push maybe 2 hours after I get off my regular job. I`ll do what I can to make it look better.

Feel free to text me at 323.744.0659

-Jesus
    Likes mnehls86, Mary B, Stokdgs, XxBoostinxX liked this post
    Thanks XxBoostinxX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JustJesus. I`m actually in Fullerton. The more I think about this, it probably needs to be done (i.e. completed) in the next couple days so I can sell it immediately. Plus, the inside needs a lot of shampooing and other cleaning since he was a smoker.

The truck needs a new rear differential so it can`t be driven far. I`m not planning to fix the differential, just get the truck looking nice again. Still worth a decent amount because it only has 62K miles.

My friend already signed the pink slip, but if he were to die soon, I worry about finding myself in a situation where I have to "sell" or gift the truck to myself in the interim because I dragged my feet too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TedNugent View Post
    Thanks for the responses. My friend`s health is deteriorating fast and I, as his Power of Attorney, don`t have the time to mess with it.

Can you recommend anyone in the Orange County, CA area (near Disneyland) who will charge a fair price to detail the truck using the methods recommended above?

Contact Darren Priest of Auto Fetish Detail. He`s a mobile detailer in the orange county area.

Expert Mobile Car Detailing done right, on time, everytime! 714-624-0804
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, XxBoostinxX liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I found Darren`s website and YouTube videos. Seems like a good guy.

How much would you guys spend on a detailing job? (1) this is a truck, and the likely buyer will be a contractor/handyman/landscaping kind of guy who probably doesn`t care much about appearance. (2) because of the rear differential issues and a slightly bent rear bumper, this only qualifies as a "Fair" or less than Fair condition vehicle. KBB says a "Fair" truck of this year, given its low mileage is worth $4,800. I was quoted $1,150 to rebuild the differential.

I`m thinking start the sale price at about $4,000 and shoot for no less than $3,500. Whatever I spend of my friend`s money should at least pay for itself. Thanks in advance.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information