Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Severe paint contamination

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s so nasty that I might go with the FinishKare FK1119 instead of the "A" and a color-indicator acidic product in place of the "B". (The "C" is just a regular ph-neutral shampoo.) But I`d use their Bug Pad no matter which brand of chemical I chose.
    Hey Accum, curious why in this instance you think Finish Kare 1119 Would do better than Valugards A?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Hey Accum, curious why in this instance you think Finish Kare 1119 Would do better than Valugards A?
    I`d pretty much expect FK1119 to be more effective in any instance as IME (which is far from exhaustive...Ron K. could provide a much more informed opinion that I can!) it`s simply a more potent product.

But hey...maybe in some instances the stuff in "A" will just happen to be the *exact* right thing to solve a particular problem whereas the stuff in 1119 is not.

Aw geeze...wish I were more knowledgeable about the two products...both have always done what I expected them to, I just chose the FK for cars that were in especially nasty condition due to it being a nastier product. Hardly scientific huh?
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d pretty much expect FK1119 to be more effective in any instance as IME (which is far from exhaustive...Ron K. could provide a much more informed opinion that I can!) it`s simply a more potent product.

But hey...maybe in some instances the stuff in "A" will just happen to be the *exact* right thing to solve a particular problem whereas the stuff in 1119 is not.

Aw geeze...wish I were more knowledgeable about the two products...both have always done what I expected them to, I just chose the FK for cars that were in especially nasty condition due to it being a nastier product. Hardly scientific huh?
    I wondered about that stuff, now that you explained it so well...... I`m still wonderin`

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, so much for my ability to "explain it so well"!

Whatcha still wonderin` about? (Note I`m about to go offline until tomorrow, so don`t rush to respond...)

Post Thanks / Like

@ TedNugent - I wish I was closer, I would do my best to help you out in your cause, even though with pics, I still don`t know what I`d be dealing with. God bless you for doing your best to do right by your friend.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ted many detailers will tailor their price to how much work you want to have done. It`s impossible to say what it will cost to detail the truck because you could spend $50 having it detailed or $700 or more having it done. I`d say you can get that car into great resale condition (not showroom ready though) by spending $300-400 dollars at a reputable professional detailer such as the guy that was recommended in this forum.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It will take who knows how much work and time just to clean the inside and get the smoker smell out..
    Not much of a picture to tell what the rest of the outside looks like, how big a truck, etc..
    What about the engine compartment?
    The truck bed ?

If it was me, and I was having to deal with the passing of a friend, notifying the family, the arrangements to have a funeral, etc., checking to see if there is a Will or a Trust document, talking with an Attorney if needed, does the Will have to be probated by the State, etc., and even many, many, more things to do, the last thing I would want to deal with would be the vehicle, until I had time..

Sorry this had to happen, TedNugent, hope all is well..
    Prayers to you and your friend..
    Dan F
    Likes TedNugent liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ...If it was me, and I was having to deal with the passing of a friend... the last thing I would want to deal with would be the vehicle, until I had time..
    That.

Post Thanks / Like

The last two comments are very true. My friend died July 2 and his truck remains in my driveway. I`ve been pretty lazy and trying to regain a sense of normalcy after spending about 700 hours helping him over the prior six months. You never realize how your daily routine gets flipped on its head in times like these.

Anyway, back to the truck, I plan to sell it soon. He `gifted` it to me before he died, mainly to avoid probate hassles.

I wanted to tell you guys how I removed the paint contamination because I couldn`t locate any of the products suggested in this thread. Ended up using 3D BDX which is a brake dust remover. I looked at the contamination with a scope, and to my untrained eye, it may have been paint overspray. 3D BDX sprays on clear and changes color as it reacts. I don`t know if the color change is all for show, or a true indication that it works. Anyhow, this is how the hood appeared ten minutes after I sprayed it on. (yes, I spread it around to avoid runoff)

After a few more minutes, I washed it off with soapy water and was feeling discouraged because 80% of the contamination remained. What I didn`t realize at that point is the 3D BDX turned the contamination into a buttery substance. With a fresh clay bar and soapy water as a lubricant, I almost lost my footing as the clay slid over the paint and took 100% of the contamination with it. It was like pressing the clay against a plate of mashed potatoes -- the clay had no `abrasive` feel whatsoever until the contaminants were removed.

I`m happy to report all of the contamination is gone.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear about your friend, always remember the good times and don`t let it get you down. When it comes to the truck, glad to see it came off with a simple process of Iron Removal dwell then claying.

Post Thanks / Like

TedNugent- Glad that worked out so well, you`ve had enough on your plate without having to work any harder on the truck.
    Thanks TedNugent thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for you and your friend.
    Glad for you`re success with the truck.
    All best wishes
    Mary B.
    Thanks TedNugent thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information