Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I am thinking about my spring detail now that the 50 degree weather is finally arriving in ct.

In November, I did my big(to me) annual detail, it involved:`FK1119,`Iron-x, Claybar, and Collinite 845.

`

`

`

I am still seeing a lot of beading after the rain/snow despite the horrible winter we had, so I am hoping I can do a thorough wash with a product that won`t strip all of the wax I put on in November, a bug and tar remover that also won`t strip wax, and then a couple more coats of Collinite 845. `I think the clay bar step would take the wax off and Tarminator would as well.

`

Is this too naive of me to think that I won`t have to redo all of the steps or are there some products that will help me cut out a couple of the steps that make my fall wash and wax so lengthy? `I can use a standard car wash like Meguiars Deep Crsytal and go over the car a few times but I guess the hardest one would be the bug and tar removal, any recommendations on a spot treating product that won`t take the wax off with the tar?

`
    <div>The detailing obsession might be worse than car audio for me.</div>

Post Thanks / Like

I use DG Bug Remover--spray on, let dwell a while then wash off with any car soap--never had a problem with it removing LSPs.` `Note that DG uses the term "Polishes," but they are refering to sealants.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

SubiRex09- If you`ve been washing it with Meg`s Deep Crystal shampoo I`d expect it to need a more thorough detail than that.` I suspect that claying or using a paint cleaner/AIO would show that there`s a lot of [stuff] stuck to what`s left of the 845.

`

IMO going over the car with an AIO and topping with the 845 (if you`re still happy with that) wouldn`t be much more work than doing two coats of the Collinite, and it`d be a lot more productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Reposted Below

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug

I use DG Bug Remover--spray on, let dwell a while then wash off with any car soap--never had a problem with it removing LSPs.` `Note that DG uses the term "Polishes," but they are refering to sealants.

Thanks I will check this out as an alternative to Tarminator this year for sure.

`
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

SubiRex09- If you`ve been washing it with Meg`s Deep Crystal shampoo I`d expect it to need a more thorough detail than that.` I suspect that claying or using a paint cleaner/AIO would show that there`s a lot of [stuff] stuck to what`s left of the 845.

`

IMO going over the car with an AIO and topping with the 845 (if you`re still happy with that) wouldn`t be much more work than doing two coats of the Collinite, and it`d be a lot more productive.

`

On the deep crystal, I just suggested that as a mild car wash without waxes in it, I do not like that as a main wash, just suggested it because I wasn`t sure if a wash with waxes would be a good choice over the 845, that I would then put more 845 over but I will need to look into an AIO, this sounds like a good idea, never used one before.

`

I appreciate the insight guys, I tend to do things the same way and don`t always realize there are much better alternatives out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Subirex09- Yeah, the AIOs are handy as they clean the paint, don`t need stripped before waxing, and can get you by until the next wash if you`re pooped after that point and don`t want to spend the time waxing.

`

Some, like Klasse AIO are great/OK on black trim (no stains).

`

Some, like Zaino AIO are *not* OK on black trim, but have mild abrasives and can do a *little* bit of correction.

`

Some, like Autoglym Super Resin Polish are *not* OK on black trim, but have both (very) mild abrasives and some decent fillers to conceal remaining defects.

`

I use all three of the above and they`re all good products, any one of them would be fine for your car.` And then there`s the HD Speed and stuff from DuraGloss, which I haven`t tried yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - You are saying you would skip clay and just do: 1)wash, 2)AIO and then 845? Just checking here.`

I am in a similar situation (more time unwashed, more severe weather), and I can`t fanthom the idea of skipping claying because of all the contam on the paint I can see and feel (especially lower panels of course). It would seem that you would risk doing some paint damage during AIO process if you didn`t do some kind of decon first, no? `I`m just curious `

Post Thanks / Like

jojo69- I realize that I`m in the minority here, and that it`s truly Autopian Heresy, but I don`t always clay so I don`t always think to recommend it.` BUT...that`s just me and I should`ve mentioned decontamination, especially post-WInter, so thanks for calling me on that!

`

If your vehicle is contaminated (and it sounds like yours *really* is), then sure, do something to get that stuff off of there.` I generally favor chemical decon. via ValuGard`s ABC over claying, at least if a) you`re gonna be redoing the vehicle to a major extent anyhow (and yeah, an AIO qualifies) and/or b) the contamination is significant.` I know it`s easy for me to spend other`people`s money on stuff like ABC, but I figure that a) ABC is more effective, and`b) ABC is simple to do without risk of significant marring (it`s just a series of washes).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on the AIO, can`t wait to clean this baby up again.

`

And Jojo, thanks for asking about the clay, I was just coming back on to make sure I read correctly that the AIO would be used after a thorough wash right over the wax, you read my mind : ).

`

Accum, the past two winters I used FK1119, Iron X, and then clayed and waxed, but I may look into Valugard ABC to see what it`s all about. `I would like to maybe clay once a year and do a chemical decontam once a year, just need to read up and make some decisions.

`

This forum is the best!`

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, Valugard ABC looks great, I ordered it.

`

Once you get through step C, would you still recommend an AIO, or go right to the wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use klasse aio, simply because its easy/fast to apply by hand(i use an orange foam applicator, either a 3" pad on the meg`s hand applicator or a half orange/half black foam hand applicator), quick to remove, adds slickness and durability, gives a shiny type look, and cleans some more. Though the cleaning property likely wont yield much after ABC, the rest of the items are benefits

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I too would still use the AIO, even after ABC,which will indeed get things nice and clean...at least as well as can be accomplished *chemically*.` After the ABC, any chemical cleaning by the AIO will probably be a moot point, but perhaps you`ll still get some benefit from the *mechanical* cleaning action of the AIO being rubbed against/into the paint via the polisher and its pad.

`

BTW, I don`t use a finishing pad with AIOs, but rather a mild (as in, no cut in-and-of itself) polishing pad, which will be a bit firmer and more porous.` Remember to stop and clean/swap the pad as it gets loaded up with product and whatever stuff it cleans off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will look at some applicator pad options and consider both of your recommendations when I order the Klasse AIO. Where do you guys buy your hand pads?

Also, do you guys usually throw the pads out after you use them or do you handwash them and reuse next detail? Sorry if this is a dumb question, even though I am way ahead of friends when it comes to detailing processes, I am still pretty much a newb on Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question, what do you guys recommend for what I think could be described as spot correction.

Last summer, I tried to clean some dry bird crap off the roof and ended up causing an inch or so wide swirl/mar. Scratch-x 2.0 didn`t fix it during my fall cleaning, is there anything I can use that might help me hide or eliminate this mark? It`s small enough to ignore but if there is an easy fix out there, I would go for it for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Subirex09

I will look at some applicator pad options and consider both of your recommendations when I order the Klasse AIO. Where do you guys buy your hand pads?

Also, do you guys usually throw the pads out after you use them or do you handwash them and reuse next detail? Sorry if this is a dumb question, even though I am way ahead of friends when it comes to detailing processes, I am still pretty much a newb on Autopia.

I really like the Buff & Shine hand applicator pads--they are the same soft red foam used in their machine applicator pads--very soft, but very tight cell structure so they don`t absorb much product--clean with a good strong APC,rinse, dry`and reuse.``` Near the bottom of the page here`` http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Bu...Shine-c298.htm
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information