Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,

I have a black 2013 Mustang GT (daily driven) that I plan to apply sealant to every 6-8 weeks. Do I need to completly remove the old layer of sealant every time before appyling the new layer? If so what is the reccommended method? Pre wax cleaner? IPA? Other? I searched but could not find a consensous answer.

Currently Im using Megs Ultimate with a coat of UQW after weekly washes but just purchased a bottle of BFWD that I plan on applying this weekend.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it`s black I would polish it up as nice as I want it, then apply whatever sealant and maintain with a quick wax or similar product. I don`t think it will be necessary to remove the old sealant before reapplying since not much will be left anyway. Use an AIO to clean the paint if you like, I personally don`t like IPA wipe downs since there`s a risk of marring the paint after I`ve polished it.

Post Thanks / Like
    hawgs74- That seems like pretty frequent redoing for a sealant, but if the durability is OK in your book I guess it doesn`t matter.

IMO whether you need to clean away the old sealant depends on how "cleanly it died". Not sure how to explain...but for this time, when you`re switching from Meg`s to the BF, I *would* do a pretty thorough cleaning. At least an AIO, or the BF Paint Cleaner if you bought that, and the appy the BF.

Most people would do a claying before refreshing the BF, but I often don`t see the need. If everything`s still OK (smooth/slick, no stains, nothing amiss) I`ll just apply a fresh coat of my LSP. Yeah, I know, that`s not Autopian, but it works for me.

IF the surface isn`t slick, or if it`s contaminated with something, then yeah- clay or AIO or something like that to clean things up.

Most sealants "die cleanly" in the sense of not leaving a nasty "dead product" film when they need redone; some waxes are the opposite and really leave a mess when they die. Just see how the BF behaves for you.

Back when I used BF AFPP on my Audi, I usually just put on another coat when I had the time, with no real special prep. Maybe a little light claying on the rockers/etc., but nothing major.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, I would strip since it would not add very much time to your detailing process. When its time to strip your previous layer, do so by throwing a couple of ounces of APC into your car wash solution. Wash the car like normal - maybe give some additional dwell time for the APC/soap solution to strip the old layer(s) of wax. If successful, the car surface should be slowly sheeting water during the rinse phase of your wash.

I use Zep Citrus APC as it is extremely cheap but very effective. Alternatively, you could skip APC and use soaps designed to strip wax such as Chemical Guys` Citrus Wash lineup (use at the recommended strip dilution ratio). Some folks like to go old school and use Dawn, but I find the power to be very exaggerated as there are some LSPs that can shrug it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`MCA`]

I use Zep Citrus APC as it is extremely cheap but very effective.QUOTE]

At what dilution do you mix the Zep Citrus APC? I`ve often thought about using it but have been hesitant because the lable says not for use on automotive paint and hadn`t seen anyone who uses it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    At what dilution do you mix the Zep Citrus APC? I`ve often thought about using it but have been hesitant because the lable says not for use on automotive paint and hadn`t seen anyone who uses it.

I add one ounce of ZEP Citrus APC per 2 gallons of water (256:1). I will admit that the label does say not to use on automotive paint but the car wash solution is very diluted and I only strip wax 2 - 3 times a year...definitely not a daily/weekly/monthly occurrence for my car. I have not seen any ill affects...of course I would also never let it dry on the car surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the good advice. Thats why this is the best detailing forum around.

Ill probably wait a few weeks before switching to the BFWD. It rained yesturday and the Megs was still beading pretty nicely. I just really like putiing a fresh coat of wax on the car so its pretty hard to wait :rolleyes1:

When I do I think Ill use a little APC (or dawn :shocked) in my foan gun and then follow up with some KAIO before putting on the BFWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA
    I add one ounce of ZEP Citrus APC per 2 gallons of water (256:1). I will admit that the label does say not to use on automotive paint but the car wash solution is very diluted and I only strip wax 2 - 3 times a year...definitely not a daily/weekly/monthly occurrence for my car. I have not seen any ill affects...of course I would also never let it dry on the car surface.

Thanks!! Understood about infrequent use and not allowing to dry on the car. I usually only strip once a year in the spring.

Thread Information