Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I own a sliver car and have always just washed, clayed and waxed it. I want to get more detailed now. I have polished a few times before, but haven`t in years. I am a fan of the term "buy once, cry once" therefore I do not care how much I spend on getting a good set-up. My research has led me to the Flex P14-2. I watched a few videos and they said it was a good choice for newbs even though it was a rotary, which I think I could learn to use fairly quick....

So, could you guys confirm that would be a good choice or is there something better? I know Cyclo is also a good as well.

Also, I am very new to the pads, plates, etc. So assuming I went for the flex what do I need for a complete set? Size of pads, type, etc.

What product should I buy as well? Polish (brand, type, etc) , any other product that is designed to be used with a buffer that I should get.

Thank you for the reply`s!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you start with a rotary, definitely have a car around that you don`t have mind testing on. If you don`t know what you`re doing, and a rotary can cost thousands of dollars in a repaint very quickly. Regarding the other questions, just do some reading around as there are tons of polish and pad combos to be used and chosen from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the Flex PE14-2 rotary. Can`t wait to try it out. Should handle just like the Festool RAP-150 that belong`s to my mentor. He trained me with the Festool but highly recommend the flex over the festool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who trained you, if you don`t mind me asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Dekany

Mr. Theal has started me on my journey of rotary wisdom. It would be a great pleasure to learn from a master of detailing that you are to sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome payj!

I have to admit I find my self close to your "buy once, cry once" mentality. Apart from the risk of not getting it right (i.e. a lot of reaserch needed and for that you are in the right place) I think in the long run it is more economical (especially if coupled with VFM mentality) than half way solutions.

I do not have the specific flex (but the DA 3401) and another rotary. So even though I do not have direct knowledge on your exact tool, I will only say what has worked for me in terms of pads, plates and polish. In any case I hope you enjoy your flex. It will be a class act based on my 3401 experience in terms of feel and workmanship.

Pads.

I use the LC CCS line up (from wool to finishing). I am happy and especially the foam wool is great. You might want to consider also their hydrotech range. I have heard good things repeatedly about surbuf pads as well.

In terms of type and number. I would go for 2 of each: foam wool, yellow, orange, white, and take your choice of finishing through here http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...grey-pads.html. Add the fact that the equivalent spot pads would be a worthwhile addition and you are looking overall at about 20 pads. Then, there is the question about size. 4`, 5,5`, 6,5`, 7`, 8` etc. etc.

Plates.

The answer to the size question will determine also your BP. You have the 6` BP included so I would probably consider a 3,5` and 5` for more flexibility. Useful recent info on BPs can be found here http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...out-there.html

Polishes.

I am a menzerna fun so that would be my brand recommendation. Then have a look on their line up for your best fit of products. Obviously the Meg`s polishes 105/205 are always a proven alternative.

Good luck in your buy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2717
    Just ordered the Flex PE14-2 rotary. Can`t wait to try it out. Should handle just like the Festool RAP-150 that belong`s to my mentor. He trained me with the Festool but highly recommend the flex over the festool.

I really enjoy my PE 14-2 and think you`ll like yours too. I also have a Metabo, but don`t use it much any more now that I have the Flex. I like the 3M UK backing plates and 3M UK pads too. Phil`s uber pads are nice as well. Though I have a lot of LC pads, seems some recent posts here noted problems with them and the Hydro pads in particular. Hopefully, whatever the problems were they`ve been sorted out by now.

Menzerna fan here too. I`ve tried other polishes, but haven`t found another line that has the same performance.

Thread Information