Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a set of headers that have jet hot coating on them. the finish is getting very dull, and i was wondering what i could do to bring back the shine without having them re-coated. can you polish this finish like you would normally polish aluminum?

steel wool and glass cleaner?

steel wool and metal polish?

metal polish and terry cloth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I would use caution with polishing JetHot coated headers. This stuff can and does flake off - I know from personal experience but not from polishing But this is probably because my headers were made from mild steel.

So...start with the gentle stuff first - Metal polish and cloth and test in an inconspicuous area.
    2004 Daytona Blue Nissan 350Z Touring :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s funny you ask this a few guy`s where just talking about that an the one guy used opti-coat on them says it takes the heat from the sun an fights the elements so we try it. i lmao but hey it`s his money so when i get feedback on this i post lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    tried mothers mag and aluminum polish, but with no luck at all really. i may try some of those wenol pads next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nuvite S really shined up mine. Need to use a buffer like a cyclo; forget about doing it by hand. But yea, don`t use anything too abrasive on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I`ve heard, they are more of a ceramic coating... I`ve tried a couple things on mine with no luck...

I would see about contacting jet-hot, or maybe a company like Pacesetter that uses their coating... ask them what they recommend..

Post Thanks / Like
    im 90% sure they would just say i hafta send them in to get re-coated. these are pacesetter headers too btw. i guess they will stay on there until i get motivated enough to remove them. dont wanna hafta take haders off and back on JUSt to polish them haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly
    Honestly, I would use caution with polishing JetHot coated headers. This stuff can and does flake off - I know from personal experience but not from polishing But this is probably because my headers were made from mild steel.

So...start with the gentle stuff first - Metal polish and cloth and test in an inconspicuous area.

Mine flaked too, especially at the manifold flange, and also developed rust stains at some of the joints. They too were mild steel, and had been chromed prior to the ceramic coating (the headers were a rare design, and I could only find them in a chrome plated finish, but I still wanted the ceramic coating). Regardless of the peeling, the headers still did pretty well for seven Vermont winters and 100K miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of car are they on I`ve had pretty good results with mine with Mother metal polish and a power ball is your coating jet hot or pasetter aror coat..... Mine are jet hot coated kooks (stainless) is thAt makes a difference

Post Thanks / Like
    mine are on an ls1 camaro. they are pacesetter headers, and are advertised as JET HOT coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are PS headers then the headers are going to be mild steel (as advertised on the PS website). For the most part, the JetHot coating will turn to a dull grey which is probably what you`ve got. I doubt the finish can be brought back to the like new chrome it arrived in.

As a side note, I thought it was funny that the PS website seems to claim the Armor Coat can withstand 2000°F but the JetHot website shows that particular coating is only good for 1300°F (unless PS has their own coating blend).
    2004 Daytona Blue Nissan 350Z Touring :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    They do and it`s typically not as good as jet hot.... I don`t know if I would be willing to take them off again (took me 5+ hours on my old ta) espically when you can barely see the headers on those cars on my old ta I just bought black ones and hit them with about 3 coats of BBQ grill paint.... They turned alittle chalky but that was it I`m also in Texas though. Now my jethotted kooks are 15000 miles old on the gto and still look great so if you are up north you should have gotten stainless anyhow. Sorry if my patern of text is messed up I`m on my iPhone it kind of make posting hard

Post Thanks / Like
    you can see my headers just fine. i have hidden a lot of things, repainted everything, and done a lot of detailing to the engine bay. the headers are the only thing that are really a sore thumb to look at. i guess maybe one day il just get them recoated.

Post Thanks / Like
    seriously, you can`t even see them in that picture

For the effort it takes to drop them in an LS, JUST to recoat them, isn`t worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I know that car and the poster too, welcome!
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information