Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!

Just looking for product recommendations to preserve hard black exterior plastic on my new Subi Forester. The side mirrors, roof rails, door handles, vertical sections of the door surrounds, and the drain section below the windscreen are all a hard black plastic which faded to grey in my last Subi (especially the drain section below the windscreen). They look great new so would like to keep them that way. You can see all the spots I am talking about here:

Subaru Forester X Wagon - Exterior - Subaru Australia

I have Klasse All-In-One and Glaze... would that work?

Ta

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest using 303 Aerospace Protectant. There may be some sealants you can use on plastic as well, maybe someone else will chime in. But I`d start with 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    A silicone-based (PDMS) dressing like 303 just isn`t going to last unless you can put it on every few weeks. I`ve had really good luck with AIO/SG on certain plastics, not on others, and you still need to keep up with that. If I had a new vehicle like you, I think I`d try one of the WOWA products, either the dedicated Ultima trim product or Opti-Seal, or the regular Ultima if the price is now comparable to Opti-Seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs has a new trim product coming out that looks promising. AIO+KSG is a pretty popular combo. I have used 303 at every other wash and it works for sure, but applying it 26 times a year is a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    A silicone-based (PDMS) dressing like 303 just isn`t going to last unless you can put it on every few weeks. I`ve had really good luck with AIO/SG on certain plastics, not on others, and you still need to keep up with that. If I had a new vehicle like you, I think I`d try one of the WOWA products, either the dedicated Ultima trim product or Opti-Seal, or the regular Ultima if the price is now comparable to Opti-Seal.

+1

the ultima trim & tire guard is amazing stuff, and it lasts fairly long, and really makes the black trim look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    black wow works really good

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you do have to keep the 303 on, but it works. I had an RX-8 for six years and the trim looked brand new. I usually applied 303 every month or two.

I`ve never tried a sealant on trim.

Maybe I`ll give AIO a try since I have some. I know it`s good at cleaning stuff off trim, but didn`t know it would provide long-term protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for the Klasse. The AIO has worked great for cleaning and protecting both the smooth and textured black trim on my Honda Pilot. I`ve recently started topping that with Sonus Glanz (like diluted KSG), which looks even better and lasts longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Sounds like the Klasse products are pretty popular for this so seeing a have a couple of bottles in the garage already I will give it a go and report back. I used Klasse AIO on the silver plastic already and it worked a treat. Have used Collonite permanent wax on the paint already -fortunately the paint was in excellent condition straight from the factory so no need to clay! Yay!

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to use Rejex myself, apply once per month on all smooth plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Werkstat AIO work the same as Klasse AIO on plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Black Wow would be a great product for the Suby with all its black trim, but since the car`s new, it may not be necessary as the trim should be in new condition. I`d suggest Optimum Opti-Seal for its ease of use and UV protection at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. By far this is the best trim protectant product i have tried. Very impressed by it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    .. I`ve had really good luck with AIO/SG on certain plastics...

Yeah, that`s worked great for me. Seemed perfect on my Subie`s black plastic and it`s keeping the plastic/rubber on the MPV like new. Working great on the Yukon`s rubber-faced running boards and black plastic "D" pillars too.

I`d employ a W-O-W-O method on such surfaces, and I`m not usually a proponent of that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT
    Would Werkstat AIO work the same as Klasse AIO on plastic?

I haven`t tried the Werkstdt, but some AIOs work better/worse for this than others. I`d sure try a test spot if using anything other than the KAIO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information