Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious what I could use on the plastic in between the windshield and the hood. That place that the windshield wipers sit. Im not sure the exact name of that area, otherwise I would do a search. Its pretty faded and I want to get it back to one color of black.

What product would you recommend?

I was thinking tire cleaner, but Im not looking for a wet look. Just a clean look.

Post Thanks / Like
    The plastic may be faded and it might not be possible to just clean it to your specifications. I would try an APC and a brush to gently scrub. After that dress it with an aerosol dressing.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers Back to Black followed by a UV protectant or a product called WOW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Werkstat Satin Prot and Black WOW both would work well for this. The problem with WOW is that it needs to be buffed some, and that area to which you are referring usually has a lot of crevices that don`t make this easy. You can also use a tire dressing, but it won`t last as long and will be too glossy if you don`t buff it. I like Werkstat Satin Prot best for exterior trim like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    available at your local carquest...

Contains a blend of polymeric synthetic polymers in a solvent base. Cleans and shines rubber bumpers and moldings. Also recommended for flat black surfaces.

Is a blend of synthetic siloxanes. This convenient aerosol spray gives a "wet look" appearance with one easy application. Works great on tires (black or whitewall), bumpers, moldings, door jams and AC vents.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as DG products go, I like 531 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    mothers back to black is horrible, looks nice for 1 day or right when you apply and then fades after driving. I would recommend poorboys trim restorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I can`t believe anyone uses B2B more than once. It is amazing how quickly it fades away and leaves the surface looking worse than before.

Post Thanks / Like
    + 1 on DG 271 - lasts for months. Bonus: I use it on the tires as well.
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    I never use dressings on materials like this if I can help it because of dust retention and the possibility of streaking in the rain. I prefer LSP approaches unless the plastic is so compromised that I *have* to use an ERV dressing (in which case I usually use AutoGlym`s Bumper Care).

On the Jag I use Souveran (yep, and it`s like new after 20-some years). On the MPV I use the Klasse twins, and *its* trim is also like brand new. On the Blazer I used 1Z Paint Polish topped with 845. and on the Denali XL I`m using 845 on some exterior plastic and UPP Spray Sealant on the cowling at the base of the windshield (where the wipers are).

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO has worked well for me. On older faded plastics a few coats are needed.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Chemical Guys Extreme VRP as my go to plastic topper. It`s nice that it doesnt leave an oily finish, very smooth and completely dry. A gallon of it is only $24...and a gallon goes a VERY long ways. I use it on the interior dash, door panels, exterior trim, engine plastics, and supposedly it works on the tires too. I`ve used about 5 ounces so far doing 4 cars...I can only imagine my gallon to last FOREVER.

Only thing I dislike is how it needs to be sponged on - too thick for spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polish!

It works great for trim. Cleans, renews, and protects in one step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blownvert
    mothers back to black is horrible, looks nice for 1 day or right when you apply and then fades after driving. I would recommend poorboys trim restorer.
    I disagree - I use B2B it to restore the black, then top with either 303 or DG AW - it holds up really, really well for me.

Having written that though and inasmuch as I`m in a DG phase, I`d try the DG 271.

Post Thanks / Like
    When helping my sister sell her old `91 BMW, I actually removed these trim pieces from the car. The black plastic had actually turned a light blue color.

I used the large white pad that originally came with the PC (the big puffy one) and used my PC at speed 5-6 using some Optimum Polish. I polished them several times over the course of a couple hours. The restoration was amazing. The plastic was deep black and felt soft and new. I treated with some 303 and buffed to a matte finish and reinstalled the parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information