Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I feel like such a fool. I was parked at work (well I thought I had the car in park) but I was in fact rolling back into the other car. As I was packing my bag to get out of the car I bumped the car behind me. No damage to his car (since all I hit was his license plate in the front) but my black bumper has scratches, and imprints of the bolts that held his license plate on. I have a 3M guard on the bumper (so the scratches are minimal) but now I have these indentations on my rear bumper. Any ideas of my options???

Post Thanks / Like
    Replace the bumper. Usually cheaper than trying to repair one and always looks better.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Price it out and see which way is cheaper. I bumped into my wifes car and had those bolt indentations, cost me 700 to fix and repaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing a search online for rear bumpers for my car, but I can`t seem to find anyone who sells the rear. Do I have to go through the dealership??

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried ebay? What kind of car do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie00
    I have been doing a search online for rear bumpers for my car, but I can`t seem to find anyone who sells the rear. Do I have to go through the dealership??

Probably not. Your best bet is going to be to go get several estimates/quotes from various body repair shops in your area. Note that the quality of work from these shops vary immensely. It would be best if you could get a recommendation from someone that can vouch for the quality of the shop`s work. Shop around, take your time. Remember that price is secondary to quality work. Often, dealers body shops will be the most expensive, but not necessarily the best work.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2007 Black VW Jetta. I treat this car like it`s a Benz, since I can`t afford a real one. I use ONR and Danase with sealant. I am that crazy VW lady who is always washing her car I am so pissed at myself. I was doing so many things at once, I was not paying attention. Anyway, I would love to just give it to someone so they could fix it, or replace it. I just want it done ya know.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try bidding on this:

eBay Motors: 05 06 07 VW VOLKSWAGEN JETTA REAR BUMPER BLUE OEM (item 160129178559 end time Jul-12-08 15:52:08 PDT)

It says it`s blue but you can have someone repaint it to be black. I`m sure there are more if you look around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I will look into it

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s usually cheaper to have a unpainted bumper painted to the color you want. Less prep work.

Looks like it`s 200-300 new depending if you have a reverse sensing system or not.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

I know it`s a Subaru site, but they sell VW parts too. Look under collision and you`re looking for a rear bumper cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vew
    It`s usually cheaper to have a unpainted bumper painted to the color you want. Less prep work.

In addition, then the shop can guarantee the work. If the bumper is already painted, they have no way of knowing for sure it was done correctly using the proper flex primer and paint.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have been great. Looks like it would only cost me 130 to get the bumper part replaced, that was damaged.

Now, if I choose to go that way, Vew- do the parts come painted according to your vin, and also, do you recommend where I would take it to get installed??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelde33
    You can try bidding on this:

eBay Motors: 05 06 07 VW VOLKSWAGEN JETTA REAR BUMPER BLUE OEM (item 160129178559 end time Jul-12-08 15:52:08 PDT)

It says it`s blue but you can have someone repaint it to be black. I`m sure there are more if you look around.

Haha, I love the description; some scratches here and there. It looks like it`s been through a war.

Laurie - if the indentations are small it is *possible* they can be heated and pushed out, but it is unlikely it`d meet your standards.

As Vew mentioned the best bet is to either find one on a forum (people are always replacing bumpers) or on parts site. I`d personally buy it unpainted (or primed) then have it painted myself locally. The place that paints it can likely install it.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions on a good forum to try? I went on Craig`s list and the Volkswagen forum. I haven`t found anything yet. Looks like my best bet is to get it looked at to see if it can be popped out or get it from the Subaru site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie00
    Any suggestions on a good forum to try? I went on Craig`s list and the Volkswagen forum. I haven`t found anything yet. Looks like my best bet is to get it looked at to see if it can be popped out or get it from the Subaru site.

I`m assuming you need the rear bumper cover?

1stVWParts.com is a highly regarded parts place. Also, if you go over to VWVortex and search the forums for Bud@CheckeredFlag (something along those lines). He gives GREAT deals on 100% OEM parts from his dealership.

The bumper covers do not come pre-painted. Find a good body-shop in your area and let them take care of it for you...it shouldn`t cost too terribly much at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information