Thread: Directional

Post Thanks / Like
    Was Miagi onto something?

Is one motion better than another? Side-to-side, clockwise, counter, cross-hatching?

Or maybe apply your polish or wax, clockwise then buff counter-clockwise...

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno! I UDM everything, then remove in lineal motion, no circles.....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil- Welcome to Autopia!

As long as you`re not instilling any marring (straight scratches don`t show quite as badly as circular/elliptical ones) it shouldn`t make any difference. As a.k.a. Patrick alluded to regarding the UDM, a lot of us use random orbital machines for this sort of thing and they move in, well, random orbits.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re polishing and/or waxing by hand - do the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk) front-to-back, vertical panels (doors, fenders) up-and-down. It has to do with how the light hits the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PTRon
    If you`re polishing and/or waxing by hand - do the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk) front-to-back, vertical panels (doors, fenders) up-and-down. It has to do with how the light hits the paint.

I`ve read that "detailing tip" on a few product sites but don`t have any proof that it works.

Unless one of our respected members can confirm this I have my doubts that it matters.

I`ve tried it both ways and could not see any difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gears- I`ve never seen a difference either, and I can`t help but wonder how it`s supposed to work :think: It`s not like the LSP is directional or anything...and it`s not like a hand-applied job (where the direction can be controlled) looks better than a machine-applied job (where the direction *can`t* be controlled).

Nobody`s ever explained the supposed benefit in a way that makes sense to me..it`s not like there`s a "grain" to the LSP that`ll refract the light in some weird way.

That`s not a slam at you, PTRon, I figure it`s something you read/heard about. And hey, it`s not like doing it directionally will cause any problems as long as you get a good uniform application.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read about this same thing a few years ago on the Zaino website. Perhaps thats where it started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator- Thanks for response, you were one of the "respected members"

I was referring to.

Thread Information