Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently was at a dealership looking at some new cars. When I went into the showroom, they had a armor all rep showing some crew members some of their products. I stood and watched as well.

Basically he lit a car hood on fire using spray paint. But prior to doing that, he had prepped the car with clay and a green bottle of Paint Protection only available to dealerships. After burning the hood, it left a burnt etch onto the hood of the new 07 Honda Pilot. He let me feel it to make sure that it felt "burnt" in. It did. He then proceeded to clean it off with his other stuff, the Paint Cleaner bottle. It all disappeared and looked like new!

Is this some sort of scam or am I missing something here? thanks guys, I am just curious here

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a scam. You will see that demo in every state fair for every crap car wax they are trying to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew it was some sort of scam. I remember seeing this stuff being done at a car show a long time ago when I was a kid. Can someone chime in and tell me what I`m missing here. Is there some sort of concept that I am missing? thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why shouldn`t a solvent-based paint cleaner be able to remove fresh rattle-can laquer from a freshly waxed surface? And do you know if it was really even paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    The car`s paint isn`t being burned, only the finely atomized spray paint is actually burned. I assume the spray paint burns/flashes very quickly and gives off very little heat. What you are feeling on the car is just the burnt residue of the spray paint after it lands on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a scam perpertrated by con artists who prey on those who "want to believe" the illusion they are witnessing. Just like magic tricks, although magicians usually perform only for entertainment and are not trying to sell you something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    The car`s paint isn`t being burned, only the finely atomized spray paint is actually burned. I assume the spray paint burns/flashes very quickly and gives off very little heat. What you are feeling on the car is just the burnt residue of the spray paint after it lands on the car.

Since no detail was given, I`m presuming that it was mostly the solvent in the paint burning and that some poorly adhered overspray is what wound up on the paint. It wasn`t clear whether the spray from the can was lit on fire and then aimed at the car, or whether the paint was sprayed on the car and then a flame held to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Since no detail was given, I`m presuming that it was mostly the solvent in the paint burning and that some poorly adhered overspray is what wound up on the paint. It wasn`t clear whether the spray from the can was lit on fire and then aimed at the car, or whether the paint was sprayed on the car and then a flame held to it.

You might be right ... I read it that the spray itself was lit and aimed at the car like a blow torch. It`s not clear how the demonstration was actually done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat rises. The surface of the car gets no hotter than it does in the summer sun. What he cleans off is simply residue from the fire, not actual charring of the car`s finish.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Heat rises. The surface of the car gets no hotter than it does in the summer sun. What he cleans off is simply residue from the fire, not actual charring of the car`s finish.

Yup. This is a variation on that old infomercial where they spray lighter fluid on the paint and ignite it and then "the surface is JUST LIKE BEFORE!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Liquid Lustre!! Watch the water sheet off from the hose!! Smoke and Mirrors. Maybe Scott should find out if this guy is gonna be in his neck of the woods!! hehehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter
    Maybe Scott should find out if this guy is gonna be in his neck of the woods!! hehehe

I would pay to see that! The AA dealer would probably leave crying!
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    For most volatile products, the liquid product doesn`t burn - only the vapors above the liquid product. That`s why the Miracle Wax 2000 `protects` the hood, even when sprayed with lighter fluid and set on fire. In this case, as the liquid evaporates, it actually cools the hood (like acetone evaporating off of your skin), while the vapor burns above.

Even natural gas only burns within a very narrow mixture window, around 14:1 air:fuel. Above or below this ratio, the mixture is simply too rich or lean to burn.

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatre
    Even natural gas only burns within a very narrow mixture window, around 14:1 air:fuel. Above or below this ratio, the mixture is simply too rich or lean to burn.

Don`t start with stochiometric ratios! That will only lead to LEL and UEL discussions...:p

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same con that been use for over 25 yrs!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information